TOPPS 1959 You'll die Laughing cards site

Started by ChrisW, April 03, 2009, 01:36:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisW

Just came across this site - it shows all of the 1959 You'll Die Laughing cards illustrated by Jack Davis.
...I guess this would be more pertinent with the link attached!

http://1959ydl.homestead.com/

Inkfink

MDG

Is there anything better than Davis monster art from around this time? I come back to it aain and again.

Someday I should figure out which cards I need to complete my set--I think I need six (and upgrades of two or three more).
MDG

hammett1

Thank you kindly for the link.  I've been a Jack Davis fans since my youth.  I have a number of the RECORD ALBUMS covers he has done (some from some real odd ball groups).  I'll see if I can dig up a few and post the pics.  Peace.
hammett1

"In front of me stood a GORILLA in a hat"

Inkfink

Quote from: MDG on April 03, 2009, 01:12:50 PM
Is there anything better than Davis monster art from around this time? I come back to it aain and again.

Someday I should figure out which cards I need to complete my set--I think I need six (and upgrades of two or three more).

I have these extra YDL 1959 cards: 10, 18, 26, 31, 32 (2), 36, 37, 40 and 48. My plan was to throw these up on ebay but if any of these will fill holes in your collection, let me know.

From around that timeframe, I'd say check out his work on the Topps Monster Tatoo (sp) series and Topps Funny Valentines series. Also he did illustrations for the horror digest "Shock Magazine" which only had a 3 issue run.

Bogey

MDG

Quote from: Inkfink on April 03, 2009, 02:41:27 PM
I have these extra YDL 1959 cards: 10, 18, 26, 31, 32 (2), 36, 37, 40 and 48. My plan was to throw these up on ebay but if any of these will fill holes in your collection, let me know.

From around that timeframe, I'd say check out his work on the Topps Monster Tatoo (sp) series and Topps Funny Valentines series. Also he did illustrations for the horror digest "Shock Magazine" which only had a 3 issue run.

Thanks--I'll try to dig up my set to see which ones I need.

I have all three issues of SHOCK. The Tatoos are hard to come by--I've never seen a full set and don't want to take on trying to put one together (I did buy the original drawings for one when Topps was selling stuff off on eBay)

MDG
MDG

Bogey

Quote from: MDG on April 03, 2009, 04:07:07 PM
Thanks--I'll try to dig up my set to see which ones I need.

I have all three issues of SHOCK. The Tatoos are hard to come by--I've never seen a full set and don't want to take on trying to put one together (I did buy the original drawings for one when Topps was selling stuff off on eBay)

MDG

Any chance of posting some of the drawings, MDG?

ChrisW

Yea, Davis monster art is the ultimate. I've picked up quite a few albums with his art as well, from Spike Jones and Zacherle to "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" soundtrack and "Shut the Door (They're Comin' Thru the Window!)" By the Buffalo Bills!

MDG - Oh. Wow. How long ago did Topps do that? We lived not far from the Topps manufacturing plant in Mountaintop, PA. A friend's dad would occasonally bring us stuff - I actually had uncut sheets of baseball cards that I'm guessing would be worth a mint today (we all lost them in a flood). It never dawned on me that all that incredibly cool art from the non-sports cards may have been up there!!!!!

MDG

Quote from: ChrisW on April 04, 2009, 01:02:30 AMMDG - Oh. Wow. How long ago did Topps do that? We lived not far from the Topps manufacturing plant in Mountaintop, PA. A friend's dad would occasonally bring us stuff - I actually had uncut sheets of baseball cards that I'm guessing would be worth a mint today (we all lost them in a flood). It never dawned on me that all that incredibly cool art from the non-sports cards may have been up there!!!!!

It was 3-4 years ago--they cleared out a lot of stuff. Art by Davis, wood, Wolverton, proof sheets, test prototypes. Most went for a lot more than I could afford.
MDG

Inkfink

I managed to win only a couple Topps Vault ebay auctions. Jack Davis Funny Foldees artwork is one of my prizes. I did save images of the Monster Tatoos from those auctions. If I can get around to it, maybe I'll put 'em up on the You'll Die Laughing site.

ChrisW

You know John, My density sometimes amazes even me. It didn't even occur to me that it was YOUR NAME below the cards!!! Is this your site or did you allow the images to be used?
Yes, please post the other images you have!

Inkfink

I set the 1959ydl site up a long time ago and I was serious that it needs to updated. Yes, those are my cards but I'd like to take my name off those pages. Citing the contributor was a holdover that I was following from the old Odd Rods site.

Here's an excuse to try out the Photoshop automated web gallery option... a quick Monster Tatoos gallery I set up:

http://1959ydl.homestead.com/files/monstertatoo/index.htm

I didn't really go thru the images so there might be some duplicates and I'm pretty sure this isn't the complete set. I remember there were some 2 color tattoos too. If I run across them, I'll try to update this. Enjoy!

Bogey

ChrisW

John, Thanks for posting the monster tatoo images. I don't remember them at all - were they "bonuses" added to card packs or sold on their own? 
Do you know how big the originals were for the "die laughing" cards and the monster tatoos?