Iconic Frankenstein lake scene?

Started by Hepcat, January 05, 2023, 05:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hepcat

Does anyone know whether the iconic scene from the original Frankenstein movie in which Henry Frankenstein's monster hurls the little girl into the lake was at some point cut from subsequent theatrical, video cassette and DVD releases? Did cancel culture already strike decades ago at Universal Studios as it did in Walt Disney and Warner-Bros. cartoons?

???
Collecting! It's what I do!

Mike Scott

The scene stayed in. Just the part where he throws her in the lake was cut. Which made her death, possibly, even worse! We don't know what it was he was supposed to have done to her!

I think the cut was back in by the time it got to home video. Certainly, before DVD.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Hepcat

Quote from: Mike Scott on January 05, 2023, 05:52:25 PMThe scene stayed in. Just the part where he throws her in the lake was cut.

That though was what I meant by the scene. The chatting prior to the tossing was no big deal.

Quote from: Mike Scott on January 05, 2023, 05:52:25 PMI think the cut was back in by the time it got to home video. Certainly, before DVD.

Do you mean that on the DVD's being sold these days he does indeed throw the little girl into the lake as a proper monster should?

???
Collecting! It's what I do!

Anton Phibes

Karloff was the one who wanted the scene where he throws the girl into the lake nixed. He felt it would destroy any sympathy folks would have for the monster if this scene were shown to the audience. At least according to tales we have been told over the years.

Mike Scott

Quote from: Hepcat on January 05, 2023, 09:40:26 PM
Do you mean that on the DVD's being sold these days he does indeed throw the little girl into the lake as a proper monster should?

Yes.
CREATURE FAN

judd

I read someplace the version of Frankenstein people saw upon it's original release depended on where you saw the film.  In the precode era local films boards decided what was allowed to be shown in thier theaters.  Community standards. 

I can't remember the year but entertainment tonight aired a piece with Leonard Maltin on the restoration of Frankenstein which mentioned the lake scene and the line "in the name of God, I know what it's like to be God." I'm guessing it was aired in the late 80's.

I think the line was removed during the film's 50's era rerelease.

crissrudd4554

The footage has been intact on every home video release since 1986.

Mike Scott

Quote from: crissrudd4554 on January 06, 2023, 09:42:34 PM
The footage has been intact on every home video release since 1986.

The first VHS/MCA release of Frankenstein was in 1980.
CREATURE FAN

crissrudd4554

Quote from: Mike Scott on January 07, 2023, 12:12:56 AM
The first VHS/MCA release of Frankenstein was in 1980.

Correct and I have it. It does not show the girl being drowned among other edits.