Nosferatu Incarnations

Started by Scatter, January 17, 2009, 07:23:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scatter

Outside of the legendary 1922 Murnau classic, there have been a few Nosferatu remakes.

A sound remake using discarded Murnau footage, Die Zwölfte Stunde, ("The Twelfth Hour") appeared in 1930.

1979's "Nosferatu The Vampyre" starring Klaus Kinski (A critical triumph made in both German AND English simultaneously).

The sequel to "Nosferatu The Vampyre" (also starring Kinski, with Donald Pleasence) called "Nosferatu a Venezia".

And 2000's "Shadow Of The Vampire" with Willim DaFoe (A rather inventive take on the original I think).

Any others out there that I've missed?? Which have you seen, and what are your thoughts on them both in comparison to the original, and as movies in their own right??
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

Anton Phibes

Barlow from Salem's Lot was clearly inspired from the Nosferatu make up and is remarkably scary.  And let's not forget Nosferatu's appearance in a SpongeBob Squarepants episode. ;D

Monster Bob

Quote from: Anton Phibes on January 17, 2009, 01:56:28 PM
  And let's not forget Nosferatu's appearance in a SpongeBob Squarepants episode. ;D

...and the Son of Famous Monsters Convention costume contest- it was reportedly 'the king of pop' in disguise.

tv horror

What about the following: buck Rogers episode Space vampire also Angel had an episode with Nosferatu as the king of lies.
A limerick a day keeps the Baron at bay

Rich

I love the original Nosferatu and the 1979 remake. I never knew there was a sequel to the 1979 film staring Donald Pleasense (Dr. Loomis!!!!). I'll have to try to find it now.
Listen to them. Children of the Night. What music they make!

BaronLatos35

The 1979 "Nosferatu" scared me when I first saw it as a kid, though not as bad as "'Salem's Lot"! ( one of my favorite vampire movies)
Overall, I thought 1979's Nosferatu was a good faith effort at remaking a classic. It was creepy, gothic and for me hit the right notes of the classic 1922 version. These things are tricky due to the fact that Monster Fans are very protective of their favorites. This has hampered many a good remake, however, it must be said most remakes are Hollywood JUNK.

I also didn't know there was a sequel to it, it will be on my netflix queue. (Gotta love Donald Pleasance in any horror!) "Shadow of the Vampire" I have always wanted to see. I'll have to add it as well.
"For one who has lived but a single lifetime, you are a wise man ...Van Helsing."
"I shall awaken memories of love and crime and death..."

Rich

Im didn't really care for Shadow of the Vampire. It was a Wes Craven's New Nightmare where the films are just films and this is reality. Also, the story was about Mornou actually making the 1922 classic. Max Shrek was basically a REAL vampire in this story. He was reading the book by Bram Stoker while on the set. I actually like the concept, but the film itself was not that great. The actor who played Max Shrek was very good though.
Listen to them. Children of the Night. What music they make!

Wolf Man

Nothing beats the original though.  Still ranks very high as one of the scariest movies ever. 
Even a man who is pure at heart......