I kinda want to write a novel

Started by CountWolkoff, September 16, 2021, 11:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountWolkoff

Thinking back about my growing love of classic horror, I kinda want to do a novel influenced by the 1920-1960 era, but set in my hometown about a decade before I was born. KING OF THE ZOMBIES (1942) and BRIDE OF THE MONSTER (1955) gave me the idea of a scientist from a hostile country secretly developing warped creations in an out-of-the-way location.

The seed is sewn, but not everything has crystallized.
"...the superstition of yesterday can become the scientific reality of today."

--Prof. Abraham Van Helsing
Dracula (1931, English version)

Sir Masksalot

Here's the main event for you: Lobo fights giant octopus in front of zombie audience. "Pull the string! The seed is sewn! A story must be told!"

CountWolkoff

Quote from: Sir Masksalot on September 17, 2021, 12:25:40 PM
Here's the main event for you: Lobo fights giant octopus in front of zombie audience. "Pull the string! The seed is sewn! A story must be told!"

LOL! I like the idea, though Lobo is more than likely copyrighted. Apart from Dracula and Frankenstein's monster, it's fuzzy as to what established characters can be used. Heck, I bet the relatives of Julia Howe and William Steffe still earn royalty checks for "Battle Hymn of the Republic"!
"...the superstition of yesterday can become the scientific reality of today."

--Prof. Abraham Van Helsing
Dracula (1931, English version)

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: CountWolkoff on September 16, 2021, 11:54:32 PM
Thinking back about my growing love of classic horror, I kinda want to do a novel... 

Do it.

Don't let anyone discourage you and don't be disheartened by less than perfect initial results - that's what re-writes are for.

Just do it.
ADAM

Monster Mike

Here's an idea: A crazed lunatic envisions overthrowing a country, then ruling forever.

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Monster Mike on November 08, 2021, 08:03:13 PM
Here's an idea: A crazed lunatic envisions overthrowing a country, then ruling forever. 

I thought he wanted to write fiction.
ADAM

Monster Mike

Ha! And luckily it was only be 1 volume!