Medicom's Bearbrick series 42 has a couple of Universal Monsters in it.

Started by darkmonkeygod, August 13, 2021, 01:41:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkmonkeygod

In celebration of their 20th year anniversary of Bearbrick blind box figures, Medicom has returned to the Universal Monsters license in series 42 and released not only the previously pictured Frankenstein's Monster but also Count Dracula, which is based on Lugosi. I see how they could get away with it on the toy, but the image on the enclosed card makes me wonder if there is a Universal x Lugosi Enterprises agreement somewhere, or if these skirt the issue in some way by originating from Japan.

Here's a hotlinked photo from eBay of the pair. Kindly just move along if these don't interest you, or go start a thread about how they don't, just please don't bother with it here. Thanks!

Shannon aka monsieurmonkey on UMA Y!

Mike Scott

CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

darkmonkeygod

Quote from: Mike Scott on August 13, 2021, 02:17:34 AM
Why do they have clear Mickey Mouse ears?

BEARbrick. Its a very Japanese thing. There was a TRU Japan exclusive some eighteen years ago, or so. Here's another hotllink:

Why Medicom chose clear ears this time is anyone's guess.

Shannon aka monsieurmonkey on UMA Y!

Mike Scott

Oh, it's bears ears! I remember those goofy looking things, now.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Subatomic_Matt

I both want to get these and don't... heh.

I loved the Kubricks but don't know if I feel like tracking down the Bear ricks I skipped way back just for a full set.

aura of foreboding

Quote from: darkmonkeygod on August 13, 2021, 01:41:25 AM
In celebration of their 20th year anniversary of Bearbrick blind box figures, Medicom has returned to the Universal Monsters license in series 42 and released not only the previously pictured Frankenstein's Monster but also Count Dracula, which is based on Lugosi. I see how they could get away with it on the toy, but the image on the enclosed card makes me wonder if there is a Universal x Lugosi Enterprises agreement somewhere, or if these skirt the issue in some way by originating from Japan.

Here's a hotlinked photo from eBay of the pair. Kindly just move along if these don't interest you, or go start a thread about how they don't, just please don't bother with it here. Thanks!

As far as I have gathered, this Dracula art is part of the new style guide images that companies can use for their products w/o Lugosi.  This is a GREAT looking generic Dracula.  So far, I have seen him in this pose and in a walking pose.  The new MEGO figure uses this same art, and it is not a Lugosi product.  I really hope this art rolls out and becomes the main promotional art for the Universal Monsters.  It is going to be a vast improvement for every monster in the license.   

aura of foreboding

Here is a close up from Ray's MEGO video of the new (beautiful) Dracula art.  Let's roll this out and retire the 2000s images forever, Universal. 

https://youtu.be/sTRvZb1SuEc?t=1459

Akira-Devilman

The art seems to be the most exciting element of this. Its been years since i collected Kubrick's or Bearbriks and i am almost sure this are going to be way to troublesome to get to be worthy.