Be Something Studios masks ~ which are your favorites?

Started by Sir Masksalot, July 10, 2021, 11:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Masksalot

I'll just come right out and say it: I've never considered their stuff collectable. It's not that they aren't well crafted
but that they're so darned common. Practically every shop that retailed masks had BSS product on display.
See how many you can find on the wall of this department store in New York >

The most I ever saw in one place was at a gallery exhibition called "Art of the Halloween Mask" back in 2016 >

More recently, I espied Be Something's Unleashed Wickedness at a nearby party store.
This character dates back to the mid 1980s >

The company now operates as Zagone Studios, after the family who founded it in Chicago.
Click here for a brief history:

http://rubberroom101.com/gazette/taecno4/splitz/11.html

My list of five favorites begins with two vintage characters from the 1970s. I believe both are catalogued as
2500 Series masks. LUNAR LYNX was offered in two different paint/hair finishes, labeled "#1" and "#2" >

From that same period The CORPSE began haunting our Halloweens, first as a 2500 Series character,
later demoted to 2000 Series status. I had another chance to see one up close just this month. There's no
forgetting that goopy eye!

Rounding out my top five are these three from the early 1980s: WARLOCK, MANWOLF, and PIRATE SKULL
of the 3000 Series >

Thanks to capedcollector for help locating images and to jupiter2 for inspiration.

If you have any BSS favorites to scare us with, this is the time and place to set them loose!

Dr.Terror

The blonde haired shrunken head.  Twas my very first latex mask.  I hav3 a picture someplace.   
Morning, noon, or night, Anytime . . . . the count may strike. If you're caught you have to linger, Cause Dracula may bite your finger!

Radioactive Rod Whitenack

My first self bought latex monster mask was the Be Something Studios white gorilla with the single horn. I think he was called Evil Unicorn and I assume he was an unlicensed Star Trek Mugato mask. That mask got a lot use with local shenanigans in my teens. I still have it, but it's rotting and falling apart. I can't bring myself to get rid of it. There are too many memories in it.

Dr.Terror

Morning, noon, or night, Anytime . . . . the count may strike. If you're caught you have to linger, Cause Dracula may bite your finger!