Author Topic: Complete Friday the 13th Box Set Coming from Scream Factory: All 12 Films  (Read 169 times)

the_last_gunslinger

• Corporal
Anyone else exited for this? Set includes all twelve films on Blu-Ray, 16 discs in total. As always, the set is loaded with special features. They're only making 13,000 though, so not sure how long it'll last.

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/friday-the-13th-collection-deluxe-edition?product_id=7444

The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed...

marsattacks666

• Sergeant
  • I'm almost.....Human.
I am. I preordered mine😃
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

zombiehorror

• Sergeant
As I mentioned in the other thread, I must obtain the 3D bluray of part 3 but I don't need more copies of the other flicks.

Joseph_Baeza

• Sergeant
  • Dr. Moreau: Have you forgotten the house of pain?
My only beef with the set is that the films are not in 4K.  I predict the set will be a big seller though.

the_last_gunslinger

• Corporal
My only beef with the set is that the films are not in 4K.  I predict the set will be a big seller though.

I think the first four movies are done in 4K. Don't know why the others weren't. I'm assuming there's a reason, though. If a complete, 4k set was doable, Scream Factory would have done it.

Joseph_Baeza

• Sergeant
I think the first four movies are done in 4K. Don't know why the others weren't. I'm assuming there's a reason, though. If a complete, 4k set was doable, Scream Factory would have done it.
Gunslinger, the first 4 movies were “4K scans” being transferred to standard Blu-ray. That means the resolution does get downscaled when it's encoded for standard BD. It's like how DVDs used to say "mastered in HD". They may have scanned the film at HD resolution, but you were only seeing standard definition footage when you played the DVD.

the_last_gunslinger

• Corporal
Gunslinger, the first 4 movies were “4K scans” being transferred to standard Blu-ray. That means the resolution does get downscaled when it's encoded for standard BD. It's like how DVDs used to say "mastered in HD". They may have scanned the film at HD resolution, but you were only seeing standard definition footage when you played the DVD.

So I'm a complete ignoramus when it comes to this. I don't even know what 4k means, other than it usually costs an additional ten dollars to buy. So am I correct in assuming, then, that a 4k scan is not the same as purchasing a modern 4k movie?

Honest question. Like I said, I know diddly about T.V. technology.

Joseph_Baeza

• Sergeant
Standard Blu-rays (HD) are 1080P (1920×1080 pixels), while true 4K UHD Blu-rays are 3840 x 2160 pixels. In both horizontal and vertical directions, 4K Blu-ray is twice that of 1080P Blu-ray.  In addition, 4K UHDs offer HDR (High Dynamic Range) which greatly enhances the color and deepens the blacks.  The visual experience (and audio too, for that matter) is far superior to that of a standard Blu-ray.  It’s the closest you will get to actually seeing a clean 35mm print of the film.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 07:30:20 PM by Joseph_Baeza »

marsattacks666

• Sergeant
  • I'm almost.....Human.
Standard Blu-rays (HD) are 1080P (1920×1080 pixels), while true 4K UHD Blu-rays are 3840 x 2160 pixels. In both horizontal and vertical directions, 4K Blu-ray is twice that of 1080P Blu-ray.  In addition, 4K UHDs offer HDR (High Dynamic Range) which greatly enhances the color and deepens the blacks.  The visual experience (and audio too, for that matter) is far superior to that of a standard Blu-ray.  It’s the closet you will get to actually seeing a clean 35mm print of the film.

Not to mention a nice 4K Player will help, too. 🎃
Many are not aware 4K bluray will not play on a standard bluray player.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
Making a 4K scan of an old TV series that was originally shot on video tape, won't look all that great - even if it does show off more of the flaws than you ever noticed before.

Making a 4K scan of a badly deteriorated early film negative won't restore it to premiere night clarity.

It should always be done to preserve the best example of what we have, and a starting point for any future restoration - but stressing the scan so heavily in advertising is sometimes misleading to buyers.

A 4K scan of the original won't be fully evident in on a standard 2K BLU-Ray disc.

I'm not a fan of the later F13th movies.  But I couldn't be more pleased that they are bringing out such a nice set for all of you that are big fans - and at such a great price!

Thank you, Shout/Scream!
ADAM