Author Topic: The Future of Physical Media  (Read 185 times)

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
The Future of Physical Media
« on: July 14, 2020, 01:58:55 AM »
We have discussed the steady encroachment of digital downloads and studio film libraries that exist in some nebulous Interwebnet "cloud" in several other threads dedicated to new releases and BLU-Ray topics.

I wondered about the future of sales in a thread talking about COVID-19 side effects.  Darned if DigitalBits.com didn't have an informative article about just that topic:

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/070720-1500

Reading this makes it seem like we will be lucky with whatever we get in the next few years.  Likely, the really obscure cult moves will have a hard time obtaining the necessary funds for proper restoration.  I hope they are not allowed to deteriorate beyond all hope of rescue.

I know these old movies mostly represent a tiny fragment of our cultural heritage, but they are a part.  Their collective influence over the years has contributed to our combined consciousness as a society and informed, and prejudiced, the thinking and opinions we all have in ways we don't even realize.
ADAM

Mike...In 3-D!

• Sergeant
Re: The Future of Physical Media
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 08:24:34 AM »
I wonder how much those numbers are skewed. For example, if those numbers take everything into account, I'm not surprised by them. But when you look at boutique/specialty lines such as Arrow, MVD, Vinegar Syndrome and Scream Factory in particular, what their numbers are like. Us horror folk have collecting in our blood and I think they benefit greatly from that. Especially because those companies give us restorations of long out of print films that a good amount of the community has been looking for. I bet Scream Factory will sell more physical units of Curse of the Werewolf than Sony will of Jumanji: The Next Level.

Hell, we're starting to see (albeit very limited) new VHS editions being released. As a whole, I agree that physical media is on its way out, but I think the horror/sci-fi community is still in good shape.

It'll definitely be a bummer if it all goes away. I would have less of an issue with digital if you could actually own it. My experience in purchasing digital is very limited, but I hate that if I buy something off Amazon I'm limited in how I watch it/which program I'm allowed to use.
"Naughty, naughty! Don't touch, Butch knows best."

Joseph_Baeza

• Sergeant
  • Dr. Moreau: Have you forgotten the house of pain?
Re: The Future of Physical Media
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 09:37:29 AM »
Physical media isn't going anywhere soon, in my opinion.  It is still a thriving industry, and as long as companies like Criterion, Arrow Video, Kino Lorber, Indicator, Shout Factory, etc. continue to put the love, work and care into their products, they will always have a solid support base from die-hard film lovers like myself.  Right now, there is nothing streaming on any service that compares to a beautifully transferred 4K with HDR.  That could all change, of course, with the arrival of 5G, but we will see.