Author Topic: Anyone Converting Some of Their Movie Collection To 4K ?  (Read 521 times)

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
Anyone Converting Some of Their Movie Collection To 4K ?
« on: July 14, 2020, 01:04:07 AM »

Some of the new 4k discs are being packaged with BLU-Ray for just a couple bucks more.  Even a few of them come as multi-format packages with 4K, BLU-Ray, DVD and Digital Code.  You can find whatever format you want from some eBay seller who buy the whole works, keep the one they want, and sell off the others to collectors who wanted only other formats.

I have a 4K smart TV that was on deep sale and just a very few dollars more than a non-4K set.  (I did NOT opt for the 3D version, because I just don't like 3D movies.)  I didn't buy a 4K player because there didn't seem to be all that many movies available and I wanted to wait for movie & player prices to come done.

There are some titles I would like to see on 4K now.  I'm considering getting a player, if they are reasonable.

HAVE ANY OF YOU BEGUN GETTING 4K TITLES FOR YOUR COLLECTION?  Have you been pleased with the new discs?

Just as a note.  Here is DigitalBits list of available 4K titles:

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/the-4k-uhd-release-list/4k-uhd-list-01
ADAM

Mike Scott

• Army General
  • So terrifying only screams can describe it!
    • Monster Magazines
Re: Anyone Converting Some of Their Movie Collection To 4K ?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 01:50:21 AM »
HAVE ANY OF YOU BEGUN GETTING 4K TITLES FOR YOUR COLLECTION? 

Fool me once, shame on me! Fool me twice, shame on me, again! Fool me 3 times, smack my hand with a ruler, but you're not fooling me a 4th time!!
CREATURE FAN

Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 02:06:30 AM »
Fool me once, shame on me! Fool me twice, shame on me, again! Fool me 3 times, smack my hand with a ruler, but you're not fooling me a 4th time!! 

Not even the handful of "BIG" movies, like Dr. Zhivago, Lawrence of Arabia, Gandhi, Dances With Wolves or the like?

I'll bet The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast and Toy Story look great on 4K.

You must have your own list.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 02:19:00 AM by Monsters For Sale »
ADAM

Mike Scott

• Army General
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 03:14:34 AM »
Not even the handful of "BIG" movies

It's the old slippery slope. It starts with CITIZEN KANE and THE WIZARD OF OZ, but then, hey, you might as well replace all those Universal horrors on crumby old blu-ray. Most of my movie collection is on DVD and will probably stay that way. Especially "B" movies.
CREATURE FAN

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 04:05:43 AM »
It's the old slippery slope. It starts with CITIZEN KANE and THE WIZARD OF OZ, but then, hey, you might as well replace all those Universal horrors on crumby old blu-ray. Most of my movie collection is on DVD and will probably stay that way. Especially "B" movies. 

If the price difference get close enough, I'll get the 4K along with the BLU.  There are a few I would go 4K on.

No need replacing old TV movies or series - especially if they were originally shot on early video tape.

Most of my BLU upgrades were for the full restorations and commentaries.  Going 4k on them would seem pointless - not enough improvement on my smallish screen.
ADAM

Mike...In 3-D!

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 07:36:40 AM »
Nope. I have one or two because they came packaged with a standard blu-ray, but that's it. I think blu-ray looks great, and it satisfies my image quality needs, so I won't be doing 4K until they leave me no other option.
"Naughty, naughty! Don't touch, Butch knows best."

Joseph_Baeza

• Sergeant
  • Dr. Moreau: Have you forgotten the house of pain?
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 09:46:39 AM »
I have been collecting 4K titles for a few years, with the biggest advantage over Blu-ray being the HDR (High Dynamic Range).  Blacks are deeper and colors more vibrant, and in many cases, the audio is far superior (Dolby Atmos) than those on Blu-ray.  I tend to only buy 4K titles though if they are native 4K transfers or new transfers from 35mm.  However, if you purchase Blu-rays from great boutique companies like Criterion, Arrow, Indicator, etc., you are likely not gonna get a much better product (even if it is presented in 4K from another major studio), so I'd just stick to what you already have.

Mord

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 03:25:25 PM »
 I stared buying 4k discs when I bought my 4k t.v.. I find them to be spectacular. I'm not going to rebuy everything. If I have the bluray, that's good enough. I bought an upcoverting, region-free 4k player. It makes dvds look close to bluray quality, and blurays like 4ks. It will play any disc from any country (cds, dvds, blurays, 4ks, and rom versions of all). I resisted going bluray for the longest time and now feel foolish for it. If you can buy a 4k/bluray pak for a couple of dollars more, do it. Take it from one who's learned his lesson.

Joseph_Baeza

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2020, 04:04:36 PM »
I bought an upcoverting, region-free 4k player. It makes dvds look close to bluray quality, and blurays like 4ks. It will play any disc from any country (cds, dvds, blurays, 4ks, and rom versions of all).
Of course, another benefit of 4K discs is that they are all region free (for now).  Mord, if you don't mind me asking, what Blu-ray region free player do you have (model, if you know)?  I have a Samsung M-8500 4k UHD player, but unfortunately it is Region A (No America) for regular Blu-ray discs.  Looking to find a replacement, so I don't have to watch my imported European Region B's in a different room on a different player that is not 4K.

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2020, 04:16:34 PM »
Of course, another benefit of 4K discs is that they are all region free (for now). ... 

I didn't know that.

If they can do it for 4k discs, why not DVD.s and BLU's?
ADAM

Mord

• Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2020, 08:10:28 PM »
Of course, another benefit of 4K discs is that they are all region free (for now).  Mord, if you don't mind me asking, what Blu-ray region free player do you have (model, if you know)?  I have a Samsung M-8500 4k UHD player, but unfortunately it is Region A (No America) for regular Blu-ray discs.  Looking to find a replacement, so I don't have to watch my imported European Region B's in a different room on a different player that is not 4K.
Mine is a Sony x800m2 . It does not come region free. It has to be modified by a 3rd party. My brother has a friend who has an inlaw, who has a sister, who has a husband...

Joseph_Baeza

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2020, 08:48:21 PM »
I didn't know that.

If they can do it for 4k discs, why not DVD.s and BLU's?
The reason for region coding on Bluís and DVDís boils down to the money involved in release dates and distribution agreements. 4k movies (as of now) make up such a small part of the physical media market (unlike DVDís and Bluís), and keeping them region free helps to promote their worldwide sales.

Anton Phibes

• Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2020, 08:36:30 AM »
I am 50. There's now officially more time in my past that lies in my future. I have all the films on DVD. I have some on blu. I bought the Universal Alex Ross steelbooks. Unless an upgrade comes with an action figure like Scream has been doing  with NECA, on a film I really love, I think it's safe to say I am done rebuying the same flick over and over again. :angel:

Mike Scott

• Army General
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2020, 11:29:53 AM »
I am 50. There's now officially more time in my past that lies in my future.

Statistically, you passed the halfway mark a decade ago.  ;D  (I hope you do live to be 100, though.)
CREATURE FAN

Joseph_Baeza

• Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2020, 03:41:01 PM »
I am 50. There's now officially more time in my past that lies in my future. I have all the films on DVD. I have some on blu. I bought the Universal Alex Ross steelbooks. Unless an upgrade comes with an action figure like Scream has been doing  with NECA, on a film I really love, I think it's safe to say I am done rebuying the same flick over and over again. :angel:
Richard, if by chance you ever upgrade to a 4K UHD Blu-ray player, your first two 4K movie purchases need to be JAWS and 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY.  They both look and sound as good (or better) than they did in their original releases.  Stunning transfers!