Let's See Your Bazooka

Started by BigShadow, July 02, 2020, 07:25:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigShadow

Wow, those are really cool!  I wonder how many different inner wrappers there were?
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity...

House of the Unusual Podcast

Hepcat

That question I can't answer at the moment. I'm afraid it might require some rather expensive research, i.e. finding, buying and opening unopened packs of Flags of the World cards.

:-\

Collecting! It's what I do!

Hepcat

Last September I posted these words:

Quote from: HepcatI know Simon(simgin on Ebay) quite well.... Simon is a professional engineer who owns an engineering firm in Québec City. He has been a big time dedicated hockey card collector for several decades and started to deal in cards as a sidelight of his collecting activities. As such he has for many years had a booth at the semi-annual Sport Card & Memorabilia Expo in Toronto which is a massive show and functions as the biggest hockey card convention in the world. I bought a whole bunch of my York Dinosaur cards from Simon at this convention around 25 years ago:

But that was when his prices were reasonable. His pricing strategy seems to have changed though, and I think I now understand why he changed it. You see back at the Sport Card Expo in 2001 or so, he had two or tree binders of really nice CFL cards which he'd bought. Being primarily a hockey card collector, his initial thinking was that he was buying the cards for resale. But when he looked them over and saw how cool they were, he said "Hmmmm, I think I keep."

His wife then interjected "No, no, you sell!"

So that's what he's doing now. He doesn't really want to actually sell all this stuff he has listed on Ebay; he just lists them at really high prices so that he can tell his wife that "Yes, yes, it's all up for sale".

That being said, this thread acted to get me hell fire enthused about adding more Bazooka Joe cards to my collection, and it just so happened that simgin had a 66 card set of the 1975 O-Pee-Chee(Canadian) Bazooka Joe cards listed! Since these were the very ones I would have gotten in Ton 'o' Cherry or Grape Gum packs back then (at a time incidentally when I had no interest in saving/collecting kids' cards of any sort), I made him a more reasonable bid. He accepted it (perhaps because he knows me). Here are scans of some of the cards:

8)

BigShadow

Quote from: Hepcat on July 17, 2020, 04:04:28 PM
Last September I posted these words:

That being said, this thread acted to get me hell fire enthused about adding more Bazooka Joe cards to my collection, and it just so happened that simgin had a 66 card set of the 1975 O-Pee-Chee(Canadian) Bazooka Joe cards listed! Since these were the very ones I would have gotten in Ton 'o' Cherry or Grape Gum packs back then (at a time incidentally when I had no interest in saving/collecting kids' cards of any sort), I made him a more reasonable bid. He accepted it (perhaps because he knows me). Here are scans of some of the cards:

Great to hear you found your Bazooka Joe fire again!  Those are some awesome comics.  I've been looking more and more on Ebay and Etsy for some comics.  Talking to my dad the other day, he said there are some Bazooka comics from the 90's in a box somewhere in the attic.  I think there will be a little hunt going on this weekend, especially because he also told me there is a Casper doll with the pull cord somewhere in the attic as well.  Hopefully I'll have some good finds to post soon.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity...

House of the Unusual Podcast

Hepcat

Does anyone remember the Archie and His Pals comics that came with Blony bubble gum in 1957-58?

About 100 different Archie and His Pals comics may have been produced in all.

8)

The Blony name brand was at the time owned by Topps which had obtained it by acquiring Bowman in 1956. Incidentally, is Blony bubble gum still available in the States? When was the last time anyone has seen Blony bubble gum in stores? I've never seen it.

???