Author Topic: creative use of a glow kit  (Read 452 times)

The Batman

• Sergeant
creative use of a glow kit
« on: July 01, 2020, 11:44:09 AM »

The "Tholian Web" tribute model kit is a perfect excuse for a glow kit, given the U.S.S. Defiant's condition once the U.S.S. Enterprise encountered it.

Here's the 3 sided web spinner ships that come with the kit:

The Tholian commander was a simple (low budget) prop using foil, sparkle paint and bright lighting.
It was good enough to remain untouched in the remastered version of "The Tholian Web" episode,
as the matte line was considered clean enough.

Back in the 60's the creepy voice of the Tholian commander was intense enough to scare some kids...

marsattacks666

• Sergeant
  • I'm almost.....Human.
Re: creative use of a glow kit
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 04:10:43 PM »
Oh, yurrr!
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

The Batman

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 05:32:12 PM »
Oh, yurrr!

I'm hoping yurrr is a good thing. ???

Some of the new terms I've learned recently are bad, including what a Karen is...

The Batman

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 05:43:42 PM »
OK, my correct response should be YURRR!

Yurrr is a lot like "wasssup" or "yoo" It's mostly used in New York or New Jersey.

The NY or Jersey tradition is to respond back with a LOUDER yurrr.

coffee cheers from CA  8)

marsattacks666

• Sergeant
  • I'm almost.....Human.
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 07:31:50 PM »

I'm hoping yurrr is a good thing. ???

Some of the new terms I've learned recently are bad, including what a Karen is...

That was a compliment 🙂
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 10:13:47 PM »
The "Tholian Web" tribute model kit is a perfect excuse for a glow kit, given the U.S.S. Defiant's condition once the U.S.S. Enterprise encountered it.

I'm not entirely clear on this. The box has the words "U.S.S. Enterprise" on it so this appears to be yet another rerelease of the U.S.S. Enterprise only in glow plastic. Yet you seem to be indicating that the U.S.S. Defiant was in strange condition and it was the Tholian (alien, ship?) that glowed in the TV episode. Meanwhile the actual plastic model pictured above is the U.S.S. Defiant.

So what model or models are in the box? And is this kit by AMT? When was it released?

???
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 09:33:46 AM by Hepcat »
Collecting! It's what I do!

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2020, 12:57:28 PM »
Hmmmm. This one from 2011 I guess:

Quote from: Amazon
This release of the classic AMT Enterprise commemorates the fan favorite episode, "The Tholian Web". The episode featured the Enterprise's sister ship, the U.S.S. Defiant as a mysterious glowing ghost ship. This kit is injected in glow in the dark plastic and includes decals to allow the ship to be decorated as the Defiant or one of several other Constitution class star ships.

Quote from: Andrew; Amazon
It has 13 different registry names. So this Starship can be, "I.S.S. Enterprise, Constellation, Constitution, Defiant, Excalibur, Exeter, Farragut, Hood, Intrepid, Lexington, Potemkin, Republic, or Yorktown".

:)

Therin of Andor

• Corporal
  • Monsters are universal
    • Have Phaser, Will Travel
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 05:10:13 AM »
Yet you seem to be indicating that the U.S.S. Defiant was in strange condition...

The Defiant (and Kirk aboard it) was phasing in and out of two universes.

"In a Mirror, Darkly", a prequel two-parter of "Star Trek: Enterprise", revealed it was actually phasing both into the past (with a Gorn on board) and the Mirror Universe.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 05:15:31 AM by Therin of Andor »
Thiptho lapth,

Regards, Ian

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 09:48:54 AM »
Parallel universes a.k.a. dimensions are fine. I've been comfortable with them ever since Julius Schwartz introduced the concept of Earth 1 and Earth 2 into the DC Universe back in 1961.

Time travel though is another thing. I hate the way time travel has been handled in the Star Trek series since its introduction as a plot device. The Star Trek writers have shown time and again that they absolutely, positively don't know how to handle the logical paradoxes that arise from time travel plots. I just wish they hadn't introduced time travel into the Star Trek series because most of those plots left logical incongruities in the overall plotline.

Incidentally, Mort Weisinger the Editor of the Superman titles during the Silver Age was pretty good but not perfect at handling plots involving time travel.

:-\

« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 09:57:34 AM by Hepcat »