Author Topic: The Forgotten Prisoner - This or That  (Read 422 times)

BigShadow

• Sergeant
The Forgotten Prisoner - This or That
« on: June 26, 2020, 02:45:17 AM »
So I've always enjoyed completing monster models and using the Testor paint.  I just enjoy the feel of doing a model, not too well done, but like I would as a kid.  Some paint, glue, and a good time.  Recently I took a model building class and did the Forgotten Prisoner with acrylic paint and by the instruction of the teacher.  Although I had fun, and the model came out great, I still wasn't happy.  There's just something about using the Testor paint and doing an amateurish job that gives me that Monster Kid feeling.  The first photo is my completion with Testors, the second is with acrylic.  I definitely had more fun doing the first while watching a classic monster movie than I did the second, although the latter came out better.
Untitled by Joe Pav, on Flickr
Untitled by Joe Pav, on Flickr
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/767593183431720/?epa=SEARCH_BOX

The Batman

• Sergeant
Re: The Forgotten Prisoner - This or That
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 03:53:32 PM »
'Nice work changing the lighting angle for the 2nd photo!

That's one of the kits I built at least 2 times, as well.

'Good to see this nice piece again.

marsattacks666

• Sergeant
  • I'm almost.....Human.
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 03:54:55 PM »
Looks wonderful....and a little Dead.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 11:15:58 PM »
So I've always enjoyed completing monster models and using the Testor paint.  I just enjoy the feel of doing a model, not too well done, but like I would as a kid.  Some paint, glue, and a good time.  Recently I took a model building class and did the Forgotten Prisoner with acrylic paint and by the instruction of the teacher.  Although I had fun, and the model came out great, I still wasn't happy.  There's just something about using the Testor paint and doing an amateurish job that gives me that Monster Kid feeling.

i agree! And it is the first kit that looks like it was built by a proper monster kid.

:)
Collecting! It's what I do!

rkoenn

• Private First Class
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 02:30:32 PM »
That's a great story but the funny thing for me was I built models in the early '60s when I was in my youth.  While I never gave it up I moved on to model rockets for many years and about 2008 I suddenly got super seriously back in to geeky plastic and resin models.  A big part of the reason is a nerve disorder that made chasing rockets on rough pastures basically, practically impossible.  But another big part of the reason was that they had all those great acrylic paints available.  I used the Testors and Pactra namels back in the '60s but never liked dealing with the solvents, the smell, and the messiness of using them.  With acrylics it is just water for cleanup and they work great.  I will still use rattle can lacquers or Alclad metallic lacquers but for the most part I stick with acrylics. 

That is a good Forgotten Prisoner.  I had never heard of it when I was a kid so some 10 years ago visiting a hobby shop in Tampa, now closed, I stumbled across it on the shelves.  It was the re-popped Polar Lights kit and I bought it.  It is definitely a perfect fit with the Aurora classics.  Here's my build.

Robert Koenn
Born again monster kid, remembering watching Tampa Bay Channel 13 Shock Theater as a kid with the great classic horror films!

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 09:21:43 PM »
I used the Testors and Pactra namels back in the '60s but never liked dealing with the solvents, the smell, and the messiness of using them.

I always liked the smell of the solvents! And these days of course I associate the smell of styrene glue and enamel paints with the joy I got out of building models as a kid. It immediately takes me back to those halcyon days.

:)
Collecting! It's what I do!