Author Topic: Classic plastic monsterkid style!  (Read 1494 times)

Hepcat

• Sergeant
Classic plastic monsterkid style!
« on: June 06, 2020, 01:30:20 PM »
Back in the day the model kits available in nearly every corner candy store, hardware store and dedicated toy and hobby shops were made from styrene plastic. We assembled them using styrene cement(glue) that came in squeeze tubes:

Were we ambitious and skilled enough, we painted these kits with enamel paints (usually glossy as opposed to flat) that Humbol offered in tiny cans or even more commonly the ones Testors and Pactra offered in tiny bottles:

Some of us graduated to spray cans for bigger jobs but once again these were Testors or Pactra enamel paints. Just the smell of styrene plastic, modelling cement or enamel paints though brings back all the pleasant memories of modelling when I was a kid.

The two keys were that the kits were molded from styrene plastic and we painted them with enamel paints. This thread is therefore to display styrene plastic kits assembled and then painted with enamels in classic old-fashioned monster kid style.

I'll start. Here's a group of three Aurora Monster Scenes kits assembled and painted with enamels by our own master craftsman Jim Bertges:

8)

« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 09:43:14 AM by Hepcat »
Collecting! It's what I do!

Sir Masksalot

• Corporal
Re: Classic plastic monsterkid style!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 08:42:55 PM »
As a kid, I didn't have confidence enough in my ability to assemble model kits myself. My brother put them together for me.
What's worse, I used mine as action figures ensuring that none would survive past boyhood. However, I still have some small
jars of Testor's enamels which I occasionally open up to take a whiff. I love that smell!  :o 'Great post, Hepcat. 

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 09:37:52 AM »
However, I still have some small jars of Testor's enamels which I occasionally open up to take a whiff. I love that smell!  :o

I like those little paint jars so much that I've acquired several sets for my collection over the last ten years!

Pactra Weird-Ohs Paint Set

I was delighted to score one of these sets earlier this decade since the wild cool box graphics made it a top priority of mine.

Pactra Paint Locker

Pactra Funnycar Colors

8)

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 09:35:02 AM »
Here's an infrequently seen Aurora Frog model kit assembled and painted with enamels by Jim Bertges:

Together with the Vampire, the Frog was one of the two Castle Creation kits Aurora released in 1966. Neither sold well and they've never been re-issued. Here's the box for the Frog:

8)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 09:51:43 AM by Hepcat »

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 10:12:27 AM »
Here's a Revell Mother's Worry kit that Jim Bertges painted with enamel:

8)

Doh!

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 01:28:53 AM »
I didn't build that many models as a kid, but do remember that my mom had to buy the glue for me 'cause I was under the age of 16(?). This was to cut down on glue-sniffing, I imagine. At one point when I was still building them as a kid, they changed the formula to remove the narcotic effects -- and as a result, the glue didn't stick nearly as well!

How do modern glues hold up? And can you still get high from the fumes? Asking for a friend...

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 10:24:14 AM »
Testors makes both the traditional styrene cement as well as a non-toxic variant. My understanding though is that the non-toxic glue doesn't work nearly as well as the real thing:

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/tools_techniques_and_reference_materials/f/23/t/22633.aspx

I've never had a problem with the fumes of modelling cement myself. I find the smell rather pleasant. And of course it's now an odour laden with nostalgia for me.

I recall that Gordy Dutt's choice of the name Kit Builders and Glue Sniffers for his modelling magazine prompted howls of outraged protest from the philistine brigade in the early 1990's:

;D

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2020, 10:55:59 AM »
Here's a picture of a Revell Robbin Hood Fink assembled and painted with traditional monsterkid enamels by Jim Bertges:

8)

Monolith

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2020, 05:54:37 PM »
I painted this styrene with enamels...

Aurora Lost In Space Robot by donald deveau, on Flickr

Monolith

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2020, 05:56:23 PM »
Here's a side view...

Aurora Lost In Space Robot by donald deveau, on Flickr

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2020, 10:40:20 PM »
Is there a negative associated with enamel paints? I know they're relatively inexpensive and widely available.

???

Mike Scott

• Army General
  • So terrifying only screams can describe it!
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2020, 11:13:55 PM »
Is there a negative associated with enamel paints? I know they're relatively inexpensive and widely available.

They are kinda shiny, so you don't want to use them on organic (people, trees, etc.) things.
CREATURE FAN

Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Monolith

• Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2020, 12:06:03 AM »
The only negative thing I can think about enamels is the smell. Those little bottles can stink up a room pretty good, other than that, I like 'em. The robot I posted above was painted using  those little bottles of Testors enamels. I used flat enamels on the base and mostly metallics on the robot. I painted this Bride using mostly flat Testors enamels. You can buy them in flat and gloss.

Bride Of Frankenstein Model 1 by donald deveau, on Flickr

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2020, 12:15:05 AM »
The only negative thing I can think about enamels is the smell.

I like the smell!

;)

Beautiful Bride of Frankenstein build though.

8)

Monolith

• Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2020, 01:47:59 PM »
Thanks. Actually, I don't mind the smell so much, but if I've been painting and later my fiancÚ comes home, she doesn't like it.

Here's a Phantom I did. I used Testors gloss enamels on most of his clothes and flats on the rest...

Aurora Phantom Model by donald deveau, on Flickr