Comic Book Collecting

Started by horrorhunter, April 25, 2020, 04:13:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hepcat

Quote from: BigShadow on July 01, 2020, 11:44:15 PMJust grabbed my first Golden Age Wonder Woman books this week.

Cool! I didn't expect there to be any Golden Age Wonder Woman comic collectors on this forum!

8)

Perhaps the best place to start historically for a present day fan of Wonder Woman is with the two comics that detailed the origin of the Earth One Wonder Woman thus raising the curtain for Wonder Woman's adventures in the Silver Age. The two-part origin tale is unfortunately in reverse chronological order.

Wonder Woman 105 cover dated April 1959 explains how Wonder Woman received her powers as a tot:

Issue #105 thus also serves as the introduction of the Wonder Girl that was Wonder Woman as an early teen.

Wonder Woman 98 cover dated May 1958 recounts the tale of how Wonder Woman was selected to be the Amazons' emissary to the outside world thus launching her career as a super-heroine:

:)
Collecting! It's what I do!

geezer butler

I'm re-reading some of my fav early 80s, DC horror titles

2020-07-02_03-59-57 by geezer2014, on Flickr

2020-07-02_04-48-14 by geezer2014, on Flickr

2020-07-02_04-49-40 by geezer2014, on Flickr

2020-07-02_09-25-55 by geezer2014, on Flickr

Rex fury

I'm in the same frame of mind Geezer! The last two days I've been rereading Tomb of Dracula and recently read the Moore SwampThing run for probably the third time.
RF
PS- Congratulations to BigShadow on the Wonder Woman comics! Love the Golden Age  stuff😍

BigShadow

Quote from: Rex fury on July 03, 2020, 04:04:41 AM
PS- Congratulations to BigShadow on the Wonder Woman comics! Love the Golden Age  stuff😍

Thanks.  I've been making payments since last August, so it's nice to finally have them home.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity...

House of the Unusual Podcast

Hepcat

I have a decent albeit far from complete collection of Wonder Woman comics beginning in 1960 and running through the Silver and Bronze Ages. Here are scans of a baker's dozen of my favourite Silver Age Wonder Woman covers from among the ones that I actually have in my collection:

Lots of great monster and dinosaur covers in Silver Age Wonder Woman comics!

8)

BigShadow

I really like the Wonder Woman covers from the 60's and 70's, especially the sci-fi or horror themed ones. Issue #146 has a cool dinosaur cover...another of my favorite themes, next to gorillas.

Hepcat

The first actual comic magazines I ever encountered may have been when I was accompanying my father to the barber shop on Wharncliffe Road just south of Emery Street in 1957 or so. I don't remember the titles or characters specifically though they were probably some mix of "Superman", "Batman", "Donald Duck" and "Tom and Jerry" titles.

The first comic books I can remember reading in the spring of 1959 featured Felix's Nephews Inky & Dinky. They belonged to the older brother of my buddy Phil from across the street and were so beat up that they were without covers so I have no clue as to the actual issues. Phil and I both thought Dinky was a very cool name though!

Here are scans of the ones from my present day collection:

8)

BigShadow

I think I have a few Inky and Dinky comics that I picked up at a flea market a couple years ago for a few buck a piece.

geezer butler

Still working my way through 1980s DC horror books

2020-07-27_03-55-18 by geezer2014, on Flickr

2020-07-27_03-56-17 by geezer2014, on Flickr

2020-07-27_04-52-42 by geezer2014, on Flickr

2020-07-27_04-50-06 by geezer2014, on Flickr

Hepcat

Quote from: geezer butler on July 28, 2020, 02:58:37 AM
Still working my way through 1980s DC horror books

2020-07-27_03-55-18 by geezer2014, on Flickr

Crisis on Infinite Earths is actually my stepping off point when it comes to DC comics. Every collector needs such a point. It's the road to madness and ruin otherwise.

;)

Rex fury

The Spectre was a favorite of mine during his run in Adventure Comics. The 80's incarnation was enjoyable for a while, but I felt the book lost its focus. I never cared for the stories where Jim Carigan wasn't the Spectre . There was a gimmick, glow in the dark cover during the 80's run that I remember thinking was kind of neat, although I'm really not a fan of that sort of thing. The recent digital edition of Ghosts had a fun Spectre story too!
RF

Hepcat

Quote from: Rex fury on July 28, 2020, 02:50:59 PMThe Spectre was a favorite of mine during his run in Adventure Comics.

That run with the Spectre as an avenging spirit in Adventure Comics featuring Jim Aparo artwork was fabulous! Here are scans of some of the great covers from my collection:

cl:)

Hepcat

The first comics I can recall buying were Cicero's Cat 1 and 2 in the summer of 1959. I bought them at Ken's Variety on Wharncliffe Road in London, Ontario and I still very clearly remember my father initially telling me to take #2 back because he thought I already had a copy!

Since Dell comics were still ten cents up until the issues that went on sale in December 1960, they were very popular and common on newsstands and places such as barber shops in those days. The Donald Duck titles including Uncle Scrooge seemed to be particularly popular and common at the time. Here are a couple of scans from my present day collection:

8)

BigShadow

Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck comics are some of my favorite reads.  And I'll read any comic strip featuring the Duck as well.

Hepcat

Tom and Jerry was another very commonly found Dell title in 1959-60. I don't remember buying any at the time but I have well over twenty these days. Here are scans from my collection of some issues that hit newsstands before the price was raised to $0.15 in December 1960:

8)