Props from the maskmakers

Started by Sir Masksalot, April 02, 2020, 05:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Masksalot

They've always gotten major props from me for all the mask collecting joy they've brought to my life. However,
this post concerns the props they've offered us. I've selected seven from my personal collection, all of which I
have/had over the years, all made by maskmakers, but none of which can be worn as masks:

Don Post Studios had been masking us for decades so it was quite a departure for them to market a replica of
1979's "Alien" Facehugger. You'd be a fool to try wearing it out for Halloween though, considering how much
they cost with those plexiglass display cases >

Distortions Unlimited's first Severed Head prop actually began "life" as an FX head for a decapitation scene
in a movie. My copy used to serve as a headphone stand >

Dead Ed was a decorative prop offered by Death Studios of Indiana. I can't recall the occasion which brought
three of them before my camera lens, nor which of the three is mine >

Between FX gigs, artist David Ayres had his own mask line of which the Evil Ugly Face was a personal project
originally designed as a door knocker if memory serves. Only about five inches long/wide, I used to order them
by the half dozen to mount on my front door. 'Great for keeping solicitors at bay >

Fantasy Faces produced masks of superior quality starting in the late 1970s. Among their offerings was
a miniature replica of CE3K's Puck puppet. Never catalogued, I can't imagine very many were ever made
but I still have mine as a memento of one of my favorite sci fi movies >

The Halloween Society was all about the worship of collectable rubber masks. Among their limited edition
offerings was an exclusive prop SKULL, molded from an obscure 1960s original. They were slightly larger
than life-sized, cast in plaster, and only advertised through one fanzine ad. 'Quite a rare relic today >

I'm not sure just why Don Post Studios created their Private Collection Coat of Arms in the 1960s. It can
be seen in vintage photos with their life masks of famous horror stars which leads me to believe it was
just an office decoration. Decades later, an independent outfit called "Studio Quality Masks" offered
copies of it in fiberglass, complete with ownership certificate. I reserved the necessary 27" x 20"
wall space for mine early on >

These days, most of my once wearable masks are now "props" since I consider them too perishable and
collectable to try squeezing into anymore. If you have any such in your collection, do post pics in reply.