Author Topic: Found Footage Films  (Read 161 times)

Memphremagog

• Sergeant
  • Strange days have found us...
Found Footage Films
« on: March 21, 2020, 05:15:28 PM »
Although this seems to be a genre of horror from the last decade or two, its' roots can be found as far back as CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST(1981). The whole concept of viewing what happened as caught on film at the time has now turned into a horror category of it's own, just as Slasher films did in the '70's-80's. I know they can be like junk food to some, you just cant stop viewing(even though it's not good for you), however, they have been known to produce a surprise or two worth viewing.

I'd like to hear of any favorites that you may have of this category as well as recommendations. If you dont like them-period, that's fine, just dont spend too much time knocking them as this is meant to be more of an appreciation thread. Without further ado, I'll start with this one:

The film that really started the craze, but was eclipsed by THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT(1999)..

THE LAST BROADCAST(1996)

The difference between martyrdom & suicide is press coverage...

zombiehorror

• Sergeant
Re: Found Footage Films
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 06:29:12 PM »
The film that really started the craze, but was eclipsed by THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT(1999)..

THE LAST BROADCAST(1996)

The Blair Witch Project started the craze because, as you say, it eclipsed The Last Broadcast.  What TBWP had going for it was the unprecedented viral marketing campaign that was unheard of for it's time.

As far as found footage, never been a huge fan but I have enjoyed a few more than other entries; Television Terror (1990 Tales From the Crypt episode), Trollhunter, Cloverfield, [REC], V/H/S, WNUF Halloween Special.  Most writer/director/producers just use the subgenre as a way of getting away without spending money on a film resulting in lots of throw away boring footage or shaky camera with hysteria from characters over what amounts to shadows for the viewer.  Not seeing the danger can be effective, see 1963's The Haunting, but if you are filming/documenting something as the people in these movies are....why wouldn't you get footage of what you are experiencing?

Memphremagog

• Sergeant
  • Strange days have found us...
Re: Found Footage Films
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 03:13:49 PM »
Up next, a few more found footage gems:

CLOVERFIELD(2008)

Or what happens when a giant monster from space attacks New York. Certainly of the more prolific found footage films and very successful in terms of box office as opposed to many direct to video releases. This one brought FF back to the forefront of cinema after a bit of a lull.

THE LAST EXORCISM(2010)

This one was also was successful for the simple reason that it was damn creepy in several scenes and pretty horrific in the footage presented.
The difference between martyrdom & suicide is press coverage...