COVID-19 no politics this time...promise

Started by Mord, March 16, 2020, 07:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geezer butler

Interesting, sober article. I like this because it seems like lately we're only getting two sides: Either kiss your ass goodbye, we're all f*#*%d or everything is awesome! nothing to see here folks, gonna be great!

How about something balanced. Yes we're in a precarious situation and we need to act responsibly, but at same time this isn't the f%$#*^g zombie apocalypse either.

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-03-22/coronavirus-outbreak-nobel-laureate

Monsters For Sale

The human race will survive.

As is always the case, one's opinion of the severity of the problem will depend quite a lot on whether they or someone they particularly care about are counted among the dead.

Reporter Number 1:  AirTravel jumbo jet 429 crashed in the middle of a Nairobi housing tract last night.  All 483 passengers and crew of 19 survived the plane's minute-long plummet from 27 thousand feet and initial impact but, sadly,  perished in the resulting fire.

Reporter Number 2:  That's horrible.

Reporter Number 1:  There were no Americans aboard.

Reporter Number 2:  (Somber) Thank the Lord it wasn't any worse ...  (Brightening) And, now here's our own Stormy Mountains with your 3-day weekend weather!

In the meantime, we will seek balance between incompetent inaction and National Guard soldiers stationed at each toilet paper outlet to strictly enforce purchase quotas during the inevitable heavily armed, wide-eyed prepper Charmin riots.

Luck to us all.  It really will wind down and end - let's hope sooner than later. 

I wouldn't buy any stock in toilet paper companies.  When sanity returns, the stores' shelves will be resplendent with 3-ply, scented, non allergenic, gluten-free butt swabs in the Super Economy Bundle.  Only, who will not already have a lifetime supply in the attic/basement/garage and guestroom? Lacking any widespread dysentery outbreak, new sales will probably suffer for some time.
ADAM

geezer butler

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on March 24, 2020, 02:06:54 AM
The human race will survive.

As is always the case, one's opinion of the severity of the problem will depend quite a lot on whether they or someone they particularly care about are counted among the dead.

Reporter Number 1:  AirTravel jumbo jet 429 crashed in the middle of a Nairobi housing tract last night.  All 483 passengers and crew of 19 survived the plane's minute-long plummet from 27 thousand feet and initial impact but, sadly,  perished in the resulting fire.

Reporter Number 2:  That's horrible.

Reporter Number 1:  There were no Americans aboard.

Reporter Number 2:  (Somber) Thank the Lord it wasn't any worse ...  (Brightening) And, now here's our own Stormy Mountains with your 3-day weekend weather!

In the meantime, we will seek balance between incompetent inaction and National Guard soldiers stationed at each toilet paper outlet to strictly enforce purchase quotas during the inevitable heavily armed, wide-eyed prepper Charmin riots.

Luck to us all.  It really will wind down and end - let's hope sooner than later. 

I wouldn't buy any stock in toilet paper companies.  When sanity returns, the stores' shelves will be resplendent with 3-ply, scented, non allergenic, gluten-free butt swabs in the Super Economy Bundle.  Only, who will not already have a lifetime supply in the attic/basement/garage and guestroom? Lacking any widespread dysentery outbreak, new sales will probably suffer for some time.

"In the meantime, we will seek balance between incompetent inaction and National Guard soldiers stationed at each toilet paper outlet to strictly enforce purchase quotas during the inevitable heavily armed, wide-eyed prepper Charmin riots."

Amen to that brother.

Hepcat

Social distancing? I've been practicing that for decades, since my mid-teens in fact! That was when I decided not to take up drinking because all the other kids at a party were drinking. Hey, why be like everybody else? You might say I was a pioneer when it came to social distancing.

;)
Collecting! It's what I do!

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Hepcat on March 24, 2020, 03:15:00 PM
Social distancing? I've been practicing that for decades... 

I thought collecting monster movies & toys was a form of social distancing.
ADAM

Hepcat

I won't go into detail. We're well past that point.  But the numbers coming out of much of Europe as well as the United States now are beyond horrifying. And we've not yet seen a slackening in the geometric rate of increase.

Incidentally I'm highly skeptical of the totals being officially released from China. I think the Chinese regime is grossly understating them to stem panic and save their own necks.

:-\

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Hepcat on March 27, 2020, 03:44:44 AM
I won't go into detail. We're well past that point.  But the numbers coming out of much of Europe as well as the United States now are beyond horrifying. And we've not yet seen a slackening in the geometric rate of increase.

Incidentally I'm highly skeptical of the totals being officially released from China. I think the Chines regime is grossly understating them to stem panic and save their own necks.

I honestly think most governments are.  Maintaining "order" is high on all their lists.  How far they go in that pursuit is a matter of conjecture, until we get some more dependable statistics.  That will probably not come until this whole emergency is past.

I'll bet we know a lot more today about the 1916 flu pandemic than the people who lived through it ever did.

Meanwhile, do everything you can to stay safe. 

You can take up some of your downtime at home by posting at the UMA more often.  Maybe now would be a good time to finally take a picture of that toy you've been meaning to share with your fellow troops.
ADAM

Hepcat

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on March 27, 2020, 04:06:14 AMI'll bet we know a lot more today about the 1916 flu pandemic than the people who lived through it ever did.

Actually 1918-20.

Quote from: WikipediaThe Spanish flu, also known as the 1918 flu pandemic, was an unusually deadly influenza pandemic. Lasting from January 1918 to December 1920, it infected 500 million people—about a quarter of the world's population at the time. The death toll is estimated to have been anywhere from 17 million to 50 million, and possibly as high as 100 million, making it one of the deadliest epidemics in human history.

To maintain morale, World War I censors minimized early reports of illness and mortality in Germany, the United Kingdom, France, and the United States. Papers were free to report the epidemic's effects in neutral Spain.....

Spain wasn't even where that strain of flu originated. The strain may have "originated" in China and then mutated near Boston and was then brought to Europe by American soldiers where it spread like wildfire due to barely existent wartime sanitation standards.

LundyAfterMidnight

I haven't read every post, but does anyone else still have to go to work? I can admit I'm jealous, still I'm a bit weary of my friends on social media joking & lamenting about how bored they are. (And DON'T call me a "hero".)
"Well friends, that's all there is to life: just a little laugh, a little tear." - Prof. Echo (Lon Chaney, Sr.)

Joseph_Baeza

I work in the essential Financial services sector, so yes, I continue to go to work daily.  And I'm loving my daily commute!

LundyAfterMidnight

Quote from: Joseph_Baeza on March 27, 2020, 11:52:55 AM
I work in the essential Financial services sector, so yes, I continue to go to work daily.  And I'm loving my daily commute!

I work in a youth shelter & we're doing our best to keep the numbers down, but it's not always possible.
"Well friends, that's all there is to life: just a little laugh, a little tear." - Prof. Echo (Lon Chaney, Sr.)

Rex fury

I'm mostly retired, but have started volunteering with my local health district. So, I'm actually " going to work" for the first time in quite a while🤪

fearliath

I have to go to work (into the office) Monday through Friday and then work at home Sat & Sunday. I am "essential personnel". Every day, all day, I deal with COVID 19 issues (logistical and direct health). I am really growing weary of COVID 19. I have most of my staff working from home (the past 2 weeks).

Mord

Much admiration and praise to those who go out and deal with this catastrophic situation. Good luck and stay safe.

aura of foreboding

Since we always get it first, just thought you'd all like to know what might be coming your way next...

Designated grocery shopping days by last name.

It's now a thing.