My Science Fiction and Miscellaneous Models

Started by rkoenn, March 10, 2020, 09:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkoenn

Here are my science fiction monster related models I have done over the past 11 years.  Of course the two genres blend and there are many hybrid movies integrating both themes which are typically fun, especially the '50s B-movies.

Robert Koenn
Born again monster kid, remembering watching Tampa Bay Channel 13 Shock Theater as a kid with the great classic horror films!

tidroplane

Listen to them...Children of the night...What music they make!

Mike Scott

Great collection!  Love that crazy green and red giant robot!  ;D  Is that "Earth vs" saucer that little 5" one? (Atlantis) Is that a scratch built base, or an acc. base?
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

rkoenn

Quote from: Mike Scott on March 10, 2020, 11:18:34 PM
Great collection!  Love that crazy green and red giant robot!  ;D  Is that "Earth vs" saucer that little 5" one? (Atlantis) Is that a scratch built base, or an acc. base?
The giant robot was a resin kit and contract job for a client in Oregon about five years ago.  I was also restoring original Aurora glue bombs he sent me.  It was from Mars Attacks comic books I believe.  The saucer kit is Earth Vs. The Flying Saucers and was a combination kit.  Atlantis Models produced the styrene saucer kit and the base was from Cult TV Man's "monsters of the movies" series of kits and enhancements.
Robert Koenn
Born again monster kid, remembering watching Tampa Bay Channel 13 Shock Theater as a kid with the great classic horror films!

Mike Scott

Quote from: rkoenn on March 11, 2020, 01:43:33 PM
I was also restoring original Aurora glue bombs he sent me.

What's a "glue bomb"?
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Hepcat

Yes. I too am wondering whether rkoenn is referring to any styrene plastic kit or just a badly built one.

???

Collecting! It's what I do!

rkoenn

This is an example of a "glue bomb" that I was sent.  This was an original Aurora Blackbeard and you can see the poor construction and the thick messy paint on it.  The second picture was after I had stripped the paint and disassembled as much as was possible.  Then put it back together, removed all the joints and other imperfections and finally gave it a paint job.  I did about 18 for him and only those two resin Mars Attack models were new when I received them.

Robert Koenn

Hepcat

Quote from: rkoenn on March 11, 2020, 09:54:54 PMThis is an example of a "glue bomb" that I was sent.  This was an original Aurora Blackbeard and you can see the poor construction and the thick messy paint on it.

Hmmmm. I'm trying to decide whether or not I see evidence of excess glue. Did it really have glue marring the surface of the kit in places?

Also thickness of paint is tough to gauge, especially from just a picture. Hopefully though you don't automatically label any kit painted with traditional enamel paints as having a "thick" paint job which somehow doesn't sound complimentary in my book.

???
Collecting! It's what I do!

rkoenn

Quote from: Hepcat on March 16, 2020, 07:44:35 PM
Hmmmm. I'm trying to decide whether or not I see evidence of excess glue. Did it really have glue marring the surface of the kit in places?

Also thickness of paint is tough to gauge, especially from just a picture. Hopefully though you don't automatically label any kit painted with traditional enamel paints as having a "thick" paint job which somehow doesn't sound complimentary in my book.

???
I have stripped about 16 models to basically do them from scratch after.  This model was one of the worse.  The paint did not want to come off.  Most of the time I used Easy Off oven cleaner.  I think on this one I used it three or four times rather than the one or two that was typical.  There was lots of glue but the seams were completely visible or even open.  One of the worse I did for my client.
Robert Koenn