COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

Started by Monsters For Sale, March 01, 2020, 05:41:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monsters For Sale

I know I've been naughty and slipped political comments into current affair topics in the past.  I promise NOT to do that here.  This is way too important a topic with which to screw around.
                                                      __________________________________

Have any UMA'ers been impacted by the latest virus making the rounds?  I know it's effect on the stock market has made some retirement fund holders uneasy.  But have you had any changes in your daily life or long-term plans imposed on you?

A local Southern California grammar school's kids have begun wearing inadequate, ill-fitting paper masks.  One 6th grader I know has drawn an animal snout on hers.  (Be interesting to see school officials' reaction.)   

Working parents have been exploring childcare possibilities, in case schools are closed for a while.

I already have Vons deliver my groceries.  I was thinking Vons truck drivers may have some overtime in their future.

I've never needed to go out to keep myself amused.  Wouldn't inconvenience me to be "snowed in" for a season.   I'm an old fart and I've had a good (well, long) run.  If I did catch the virus (or, it caught me), and I croaked, there would not be a huge ripple in the local social fabric.  Few would take note - fewer would care.

But I do think about the two kids with whom I enjoy a lot of time.  They spend all day in crowded classrooms with other kids, many of whom who cough into other's faces without a second thought, wipe their noses on their sleeves and leave doorknobs, and anything else they touch, feeling sticky.

Anybody here been thinking much about this latest virus:  made changes in their daily behavior or near-term plans?  Putting off attending Mardi-Gras, or other places with large gatherings, like Times Square on New Year's Eve?  Decided against flying or taking cruises?

Just wondering.
ADAM

Mord

Adam, I think most people have this somewhere in the back of their minds. My girlfriend and I were out in Long Beach, yesterday. We went to watch "The Invisible Man" at a noon matinee.it was pretty packed, for a first showing. No one seemed concerned. We went to various shopping places and found crowds enjoying life as usual. We met one of her girlfriends for dinner at a Mexican restaurant. Many familys were there enjoying a wonderful dinner. Hell,  I even ordered a Corona, which the waiter jokingly assured was "virus-free".
  The only place we noticed a difference was at Stater Bros. Market. There were quite a few people stocking up on water and supplies. I completely understand your fears about your little friends at school. That's a perfect place for it to spread. Having worked at a school for decades, I can assure you that schools' staffs are very diligent and work their butts off to protect their kids (despite inadequate funding).
  I'll be the one to raise the concern about our government. When you have a leader more obsessed  with his public image than his public, that could lead to a bad situation. Making the "science-impaired" VP in charge of informing the public, brings to mind what happened at Chernobyl. Overreacting? Maybe. Better safe than sorry. 

aura of foreboding

A number of cases popping up in my neck of the woods.  Not looking good.

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: aura of foreboding on March 01, 2020, 07:46:02 PM
A number of cases popping up in my neck of the woods.  Not looking good. 

Where's your neck?
ADAM

Mike Scott

CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Rex fury

Aside From the media coverage, here's something that might interest those of us dwelling on COVID-19:

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-disease-2019-vs-the-flu

My Fire Department implemented FLU protocols for all our stations covering the next two weeks. Other than that life is pretty much normal up here in the north!
RF

aura of foreboding

Quote from: Mike Scott on March 01, 2020, 08:12:21 PM
Starbucks country.

It's sad, but it's true.  There is literally one every half block.  I don't know why or how... I don't even drink coffee, but some people do, I guess. 

Hepcat

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on March 01, 2020, 05:41:11 PMI know I've been naughty and slipped political comments into current affair topics in the past.

I wouldn't call it naughty. I'd call it far worse.

::)

Collecting! It's what I do!

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Hepcat on March 02, 2020, 03:41:58 AM
I wouldn't call it naughty. I'd call it far worse.   ::) 

Then you obviously don't know the tremendous amount of restraint I have exercised.
ADAM

Mord

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on March 02, 2020, 03:57:33 AM
Then you obviously don't know the tremendous amount of restraint I have exercised.
Sorry, brother, I can't exercise that much restraint. My blood pressure would be even worse than it already is.

Mike Scott

Quote from: Mord on March 02, 2020, 04:54:44 AM
Sorry, brother, I can't exercise that much restraint. My blood pressure would be even worse than it already is.

Count to 10 and inhale/exhale slowly.
CREATURE FAN

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Mord on March 02, 2020, 04:54:44 AM

seriously, I just wanted to know how the existence of the illness is effecting people - even if they don't have it, themselves.

I wonder about the members of our little family of monster enthusiasts in times like these.
ADAM

Mike Scott

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on March 02, 2020, 06:51:30 AM
seriously, I just wanted to know how the existence of the illness is effecting people - even if they don't have it, themselves.

Not really effecting me any more that Aids, or any other disease I don't have.
CREATURE FAN

Hepcat

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on March 02, 2020, 03:57:33 AMThen you obviously don't know the tremendous amount of restraint I have exercised.

I'm a card carrying Libertarian. Imagine the restraint I exercise in not airing my grievances about the continued erosion of my freedom of choice.

Collecting! It's what I do!

Mord

Quote from: Hepcat on March 02, 2020, 03:16:26 PM

I'm a card carrying Libertarian. Imagine the restraint I exercise in not airing my grievances about the continued erosion of my freedom of choice.
Pro-Abortion rights? Yeah, I agree. Nobody has the right to tell a woman what to do with her body.