Famous Monsters and Captain Co going out of business

Started by John Pertwee, February 16, 2020, 11:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Pertwee

from https://captainco.com/

"A letter from the publisher:

Monster fans are the best fans. That has been proven over the past sixty years.

In 2007, I took Forrest J Ackerman's blessing, and together with my publishing team, bestowed it upon a new generation of readers, connecting the latest Hollywood reboots with their classic inspirations and recreating the Captain Company store as a thriving commerce destination for horror, sci-fi, and fantasy fans. The enthusiastic response proved that Famous Monsters' 60 year legacy was alive and well in the hearts of artists, writers, filmmakers, and enthusiasts who continue to change the world with their creations.

But alas, everything has its season, and my season is drawing to a close. I am retiring, so thank you all, sincerely, for your support over the years.

Perhaps Famous Monsters of Filmland will live on in a print annual and in the hearts and minds of Monster Kids everywhere. History will not be rewritten: FM will always be the most influential entertainment brand on the current filmmaking landscape, and as long as those whose lives were changed by Forry's words embody his passionate spirit, our Monster World will continue to thrive.

Again, I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for being here through this journey. Onward and upward.

Bearing this in mind, CaptainCo will be selling the last of its stock over the coming weeks. We thank you for being the best customers and we expect to have more specifics for you in the coming days. In the meantime, please rest assured that all outstanding orders will be fulfilled."

Last call for orders is Feb. 23rd.

Doh!

I was an FM subscriber back in the late 70s through mid 80s, and bought plenty of Captain Company merch over the years, but didn't realize either entity was  still around. Sad to see them go, regardless.

Mike Scott

Quote from: Doh! on February 16, 2020, 11:41:48 PM
I was an FM subscriber back in the late 70s through mid 80s, and bought plenty of Captain Company merch over the years, but didn't realize either entity was  still around.

How in the world did you miss all those years of drama? The whole Forry vs Ferry thing, followed by Ferry vs Kim!
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Doh!

I didn't get the 'net until 1997 and by that time, FM wasn't really on my radar. That said, I was lucky enough to tour the Ackermansion back in the day.

Mike Scott

Quote from: Doh! on February 17, 2020, 09:44:38 AM
I didn't get the 'net until 1997 and by that time, FM wasn't really on my radar.

I guess it hasn't been getting all that much press, on this board, since you've been hangin' 'round?
CREATURE FAN

Sir Masksalot

I haven't sent away for anything from Captain Company since the 1970s but those ads are still the most nostalgic pages in the old back issues.
It was nice knowing CC and FM were always there and I hope that the publisher's somewhat ambiguous wish that FM live on as "a print annual"
comes to pass although it's plain to see how any potential successors might have been scared off. The legal squabbles over the FM trademarks
got so convoluted at times, I lost track of who was fighting for what.

Rex fury

Half the fun of reading FM and Creepy, etc. in the 60's was the Captain Company adds.  I bought, and got to see for the first time, the silent  Phantom of the Opera,  and the Hunchback of ND on those 8mm film loops the company sold. I was never as fond of the magazine after it left Warren. I did get a picture of my family published in one of the issues Ray Ferry produced, but the magazine and the stuff advertised in the back pages just wasn't the same. I'm currently enjoying Scary Monsters and The Creeps because they seem the most authentic throwbacks to Warren's golden age.
RF

John Pertwee

Today is the last day the online store will be open, unless they extend it again. I was expecting a big blow out sale but so far they haven't dropped prices on regular items.

Mike Scott

I was going to order a couple of back issues, but the postage was $17.00! It was just for a couple of alternate covers, so I said no thanks.
CREATURE FAN

Hepcat

Quote from: John Pertwee on February 16, 2020, 11:24:03 PM
from https://captainco.com/

"A letter from the publisher:

Monster fans are the best fans. That has been proven over the past sixty years.

In 2007, I took Forrest J Ackerman's blessing...."

Twould have been a lot more "legitimate" shall we say had he acquired the blessing of at least one of the magazine's previous owners.

Quote from: Mike Scott on February 17, 2020, 12:53:48 AMHow in the world did you miss all those years of drama? The whole Forry vs Ferry thing, followed by Ferry vs Kim!

He was lucky. That was about as painful an abuse of the legal system as can be imagined enriching only the raft of lawyers involved.

::)
Collecting! It's what I do!

Hepcat

Quote from: Rex fury on February 18, 2020, 12:01:14 AMHalf the fun of reading FM and Creepy, etc. in the 60's was the Captain Company adds.

Very true!

Quote from: Rex fury on February 18, 2020, 12:01:14 AMI was never as fond of the magazine after it left Warren. I did get a picture of my family published in one of the issues Ray Ferry produced, but the magazine and the stuff advertised in the back pages just wasn't the same. I'm currently enjoying Scary Monsters and The Creeps because they seem the most authentic throwbacks to Warren's golden age.

I agree! One of the key details was that the old horror mags including Famous Monsters of Filmland were printed on cheap pulp.  When Ray Ferry went to glossy more expensive paper, the charm of the original was lost. And I strongly second your endorsement of Scary Monsters.

cl:)

John Pertwee

It is gone. No huge clearance deals, only a few things marked down, and a ton of stock left that will probably be offloaded on dealers or on ebay. Gone not with a bang, but with a whimper.

Hepcat

Quote from: John Pertwee on March 02, 2020, 03:57:19 PMIt is gone. No huge clearance deals, only a few things marked down, and a ton of stock left that will probably be offloaded on dealers or on ebay.

I don't understand that. What they still have in inventory is not going to fetch much at all if they sell the stuff to jobbers.

:-\

John Pertwee

We will probably never know for sure. The shirts may have been "print on demand" so no huge stockpile to offload. They had a section on the announcement that said something like "If you are a business and want to make an offer on remaining stock, send an email too..."