Dirty Donny's "Pinball Punk"

Started by Tim Nolan, January 21, 2020, 08:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim Nolan

This is a nicely done resin kit from AMT.  I'm a big fan of Donny Gillie's work, so I was happy to see this being produced.  It's the second monster kit of his design released.  I changed this up a bit, I built an entire new upper cabinet on the pinball machine to replace the solid resin kit part so that I could install some working lighting.  It has a flashing tilt sign and I used several color changing LED's in the upper cabinet as well as on the playing field.  I was able to back light the playing field decal after mounting it on some clear sheet plastic.  I added the base and a few minor details like the real Mercury head dime in his hand.  The blue LED's fluoresce the hot color paints on the monster.  Really fun build!

Hepcat

I'm beyond impressed. The custom work you did on the actual pinball machine is phenomenal! And that Mercury dime in the player's hand is just the right size to double as a Liberty silver dollar in that scale.

Quote from: Tim Nolan on January 21, 2020, 08:51:04 PMThis is a nicely done resin kit from AMT.

This very same AMT?

???

Collecting! It's what I do!

Tim Nolan

YEP THAT AMT!  NOT CURRENT, BUT YOU CAN FIND THEM.

Hepcat

Interesting! How many pieces did the kit contain?

???

Tim Nolan

Maybe two dozen parts......don't remember!

Hepcat

Quote from: Tim Nolan on January 21, 2020, 08:51:04 PMThis is a nicely done resin kit from AMT.

I don't understand why AMT, a full-fledged major model kit company, would fool around by issuing a kit from rersin which I associate with fly-by-night garage kit producers.

???

Devlin

Quote from: Hepcat on April 07, 2021, 11:12:39 PM
I don't understand why AMT, a full-fledged major model kit company, would fool around by issuing a kit from rersin which I associate with fly-by-night garage kit producers.

???

Because they didn't anticipate being able to sell enough copies to justify the considerable expense of tooling. And as cool as it is, I'd still say that
they were probably right.