Author Topic: Movie Trailer For Universal's "The Invisible Man" Will Be a Major Flop  (Read 882 times)

Mord

• Sergeant
Re: Movie Trailer For Universal's "The Invisible Man" Will Be a Major Flop
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 12:38:05 PM »
I saw the trailer in the theatre yesterday. I didn't look unwatchable. It felt more Blumhouse than Universal, though.

BigShadow

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 12:40:37 AM »
I've heard the director and writer wanted this movie to concentrate on the #MeToo movement and toxic masculinity in the guise of a horror movie.  I know such topics have been touched upon before, but it seems like movies in the last few years have concentrated more on social justice and virtue signaling rather than a good story.  Unfortunately this seems like the case here.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Astonishing-Eye/455521264609723

Mord

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 10:33:49 PM »
I saw the trailer in the theatre yesterday. I didn't look unwatchable. It felt more Blumhouse than Universal, though.

Ok, I take it back. It was very good.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 02:46:15 PM by Mord »

BigShadow

• Sergeant
Was this a good film or not?  I'm still on the fence about seeing it.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Astonishing-Eye/455521264609723

Mord

• Sergeant
Was this a good film or not?  I'm still on the fence about seeing it.

The reviews have been good, and two UMAers (myself included) have posted that they liked it.

Radioactive Rod Whitenack

• Sergeant
A major flop? It opened to 90% good reviews on Rotten Tomatoes to make a $29 million weekend on a $7 million budget. I saw it last night and it's pretty darn good. In my opinion, this is a much better example of how to modernize classic monsters and science fiction than the concept of spending $150 on a big, GCI heavy Blockbuster like "The Mummy" or "Van Helsing" which has no chance of even being a "horror" film, but only an action spectacle.

Mord

• Sergeant
A major flop? It opened to 90% good reviews on Rotten Tomatoes to make a $29 million weekend on a $7 million budget. I saw it last night and it's pretty darn good. In my opinion, this is a much better example of how to modernize classic monsters and science fiction than the concept of spending $150 on a big, GCI heavy Blockbuster like "The Mummy" or "Van Helsing" which has no chance of even being a "horror" film, but only an action spectacle.

Well stated, ye wise one. It was an excellent update. Not everybody will be pleased, but it was VERY entertaining. I would support more Universal "re-imaginings" like this. I think Blumhouse does a great job with a relatively low budget.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 03:40:32 PM by Mord »

Mike Scott

• Army General
  • So terrifying only screams can describe it!
    • Monster Magazines
It opened to 90% good reviews on Rotten Tomatoes to make a $29 million weekend on a $7 million budget.

What? There TV ad budget is bigger than that!
CREATURE FAN

Visit My Monster Magazines Website

the_last_gunslinger

• Corporal
've heard the director and writer wanted this movie to concentrate on the #MeToo movement and toxic masculinity in the guise of a horror movie.  I know such topics have been touched upon before, but it seems like movies in the last few years have concentrated more on social justice and virtue signaling rather than a good story.  Unfortunately this seems like the case here

I'm one of the most vocal critics of filmmakers who make movies that serve primarily as a vehicle to deliver their socio-political message. I was concerned a little about the Invisible Man going down this route. I saw the movie last night and am pleased to report that I didn't get that vibe at all. Sure, there was an evil man as the antagonist, and the victim was a woman, but that's about as far as it went.

All men were not depicted as evil. In fact, the protagonists strongest ally was a man who was supportive of her without being patronizing. And sure, he didn't believe her story about an invisible stalker, but no one did. There were no out of place "girl power" moments that took me out of the story, and Elisabeth Moss's portrayal as an abused wife was both believable and sympathetic.

I can't say whether or not you'd like the movie, but I wouldn't let fears of an overt social message keep you from watching it, because I don't think that's what they did.

The reviews have been good, and two UMAers (myself included) have posted that they liked it.

I will add my voice to the chorus of those who appreciated it. I thought it was good, better than expected. For those who like to ogle iconic monster images, it might prove disappointing, but I'd give it a solid 6.5/10.
The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed...

Gory Glenn

• Sergeant
  • They're dead...they're all messed up.
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2020, 12:06:14 PM »
Saw it yesterday. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Best reboot of a Universal monster movie hands down.

Mike Scott

• Army General
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2020, 03:46:20 PM »
Best reboot of a Universal monster movie hands down.

Why call it a "reboot"? It has nothing to do with Wells, or Whale. You don't call every vampire movie a reboot of "Dracula."
CREATURE FAN

Gory Glenn

• Sergeant
  • They're dead...they're all messed up.
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2020, 04:03:42 PM »
Why call it a "reboot"? It has nothing to do with Wells, or Whale. You don't call every vampire movie a reboot of "Dracula."

Unlike other vampire movies this has the exact same title as the original and it is a Universal picture. How about re-imagining? The article below makes some good points regarding the new versus old (possible spoilers).

https://screenrant.com/invisible-man-2020-original-movie-changes/
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 04:07:33 PM by Gory Glenn »

Mord

• Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2020, 04:27:15 PM »
 All I really care about, is that it's actually good (for a change). They keep the Griffin name, even though the first name is changed to Adrian.

Mike Scott

• Army General
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2020, 05:42:06 PM »
How about re-imagining?

Oh, all right!  ;D
CREATURE FAN