BBC Dracula (2020)

Started by zombiehorror, January 02, 2020, 03:50:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombiehorror

The 3 episode series premiered today in the U.K. and will hit Netflix on January 4th.

https://youtu.be/lAHtOB47zMk

Mord

Looks promising. Very Hammer classic-style.

mowdiwarp

Im from the UK , & watched the first part, on BBC Television...it is excellent !,. i thoroughly recommend it. VERY refreshing,.... their whole take on it is !,...& with a 'nod' (visually,at least) to the great portrayal's of the' earlier screen Counts',...is all the better, for it. (Universal Studios,..should really take note !  lol) My brother who currently resides in the States, is looking forward ,to viewing it on Netflix, also. (Friday, i believe ?)   

Mord

Quote from: mowdiwarp on January 02, 2020, 08:38:51 PM
Im from the UK , & watched the first part, on BBC Television...it is excellent !,. i thoroughly recommend it. VERY refreshing,.... their whole take on it is !,...& with a 'nod' (visually,at least) to the great portrayal's of the' earlier screen Counts',...is all the better, for it. (Universal Studios,..should really take note !  lol) My brother who currently resides in the States, is looking forward ,to viewing it on Netflix, also. (Friday, i believe ?)   

Good to hear! How are things going across the pond? It's refreshing to have people from another country posting.

John Pertwee

I'm one episode in and I'm loving it.

mowdiwarp

Quote from: Mord on January 02, 2020, 11:05:45 PM
Good to hear! How are things going across the pond? It's refreshing to have people from another country posting.
Thanks, for your response,....just watched the conclusion of the new 'Dracula',...hope some (if not alot ? lol) of you guys, over there, enjoy it also.  (great 'site' yous have here !) 

Mord

Quote from: mowdiwarp on January 04, 2020, 12:07:41 AM
Thanks, for your response,....just watched the conclusion of the new 'Dracula',...hope some (if not alot ? lol) of you guys, over there, enjoy it also.  (great 'site' yous have here !)
It started today, so I will watch in the next few days. Good luck with Brexit (fingers crossed).

mowdiwarp

Quote from: Mord on January 04, 2020, 12:20:53 AM
It started today, so I will watch in the next few days. Good luck with Brexit (fingers crossed).
"Brexit" ?,....well, i must say it got ridiculous how much the whole process, had been stalled & delayed, over here,....read a few folk remark, how this new Drac 'Claes Bang', reminded them of Christopher Lee, playing the role ?,....but i seen a resemblance to Lugosi, in him, myself,....just features around the head , & face, etc .

Doh!

I finished Dracula last night and gotta say I was pretty disappointed; was not a fan of the campy tone it took. It's a shame, too: I really liked what those guys did with Sherlock Holmes.

The nods to previous Dracula works were entertaining, and I thought the guy playing the Count did a solid job, but the overall tone of the thing left me cold (although the second episode was the least campy and therefore the strongest one, I thought). I wish they had done it more straightforward. For me, the highlight was Sister Agatha. That was really well done!

geezer butler

Yeah I watched it over the weekend. I have mixed feelings. I really like the guy who plays Dracula. He's really good imo. The production is impressive too. Great set and costume design, especially in Episode one. I also liked how they expanded significant moments from the novel that most movies either ignore or barely cover. I'm specifically talking about Harker's time at the convent and the Demeter voyage. Unlike a lot of other critics, I didn't have a problem with that radical plot twist at the end of 2/beginning of 3. Pretty far out, but I thought it was interesting.

I agree with Doh! in terms of the campier tone of the series. Dracula definitely has that British thing going, with that pretentious, snark. Kind of like a horror version of Sherlock or James Bond. Always dropping one liners. The woman who played the Van Helsing was even worse imo. The critics are actually giving her props for her performance, but I found it grating. I'm not saying it's her, but I didn't like the way they wrote her character. I couldn't stand how she was always talking smack to Dracula. Seemed liked at one point she was gonna scream "In yo face!!" and drop the mic.

If you're a big Dracula fan, I suggest you watch it and decide for yourself. Overall I think was entertaining enough to watch once over.

universalmonsterkid

I have to say I was so excited by the prospect of something new.
It held my attention thru the first episode and especially in the second where I thought we were going to be treated to some new material on the Demeter.
Almost...
While I liked the second episode the best, when I pressed play on my invitation to start episode three, I suddenly felt as though I was watching a completely different movie
I can appreciate the literary license, I can appreciate the fast forward to the present, what I can't appreciate was the total disconnect from the story line they had embarked on.
What I can say, is that now more than ever I'd love to see a big ( or small ) screen adaptation of " The Last Voyage of the Demeter" I'm stoked for that

" For one who has not yet lived a single lifetime , You are a wise man , Van Helsing "

BigShadow

I really liked this show.  The first and second episodes were amazing and showed the true ruthlessness of Dracula.  The third episode was interesting but a little too...Millennial? I guess.  It was an interesting premise, but it seemed the production crew worked overtime to make sure inclusion was thrown in your face.  The story was pretty decent, and I thought the ending was okay.  I would of like to see more of Dracula in Europe right after the boat.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity...

House of the Unusual Podcast

mowdiwarp

Quote from: Doh! on January 08, 2020, 06:22:02 AM
I finished Dracula last night and gotta say I was pretty disappointed; was not a fan of the campy tone it took. It's a shame, too: I really liked what those guys did with Sherlock Holmes.

The nods to previous Dracula works were entertaining, and I thought the guy playing the Count did a solid job, but the overall tone of the thing left me cold (although the second episode was the least campy and therefore the strongest one, I thought). I wish they had done it more straightforward. For me, the highlight was Sister Agatha. That was really well done!
Well, i know where your coming from, here,.

mowdiwarp

Quote from: geezer butler on January 14, 2020, 02:07:41 PM
Yeah I watched it over the weekend. I have mixed feelings. I really like the guy who plays Dracula. He's really good imo. The production is impressive too. Great set and costume design, especially in Episode one. I also liked how they expanded significant moments from the novel that most movies either ignore or barely cover. I'm specifically talking about Harker's time at the convent and the Demeter voyage. Unlike a lot of other critics, I didn't have a problem with that radical plot twist at the end of 2/beginning of 3. Pretty far out, but I thought it was interesting.

I agree with Doh! in terms of the campier tone of the series. Dracula definitely has that British thing going, with that pretentious, snark. Kind of like a horror version of Sherlock or James Bond. Always dropping one liners. The woman who played the Van Helsing was even worse imo. The critics are actually giving her props for her performance, but I found it grating. I'm not saying it's her, but I didn't like the way they wrote her character. I couldn't stand how she was always talking smack to Dracula. Seemed liked at one point she was gonna scream "In yo face!!" and drop the mic.

If you're a big Dracula fan, I suggest you watch it and decide for yourself. Overall I think was entertaining enough to watch once over.
interesting comments,..

mowdiwarp

I didnt see episode 3, coming,...to be honest,   lol, & it certainly wasnt my favourite part. Also the ending,..well,.. at first i thought they had 'literally', ...lost the plot ! lol,....but i still found it entertaining. (& Dracula always gets resurrected, does he not ?) cheers.