easy to ask, hard to answer....

Started by preyer, February 12, 2009, 12:19:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roheimiana

Let me strongly second Bobby's suggestion about spending time at The Gallery of Monster Toys. Up until a few years ago, I only collected masks and props but then I got badly bitten by the toy bug. I sorta knew what I liked but I had little idea of the history of monster toys. I bought some books on the topic but frankly found them to be rather disappointing. Then I discovered Ray's site and settled in for lengthy, daily visits as I looked around eBay to see what was available. And then my full, fulminating addiction began. ;D

BTW, make sure you read the section called "Frequently Asked Questions" at The Gallery of Monster Toys. This is where I first encountered the notion that toys, even the seemingly cheesiest ones, can possess the qualities of "integrity, humility, charm, and sensitivity". I think this is similar to what you mean when you say you prefer monsters which have "character". Happy hunting!

Gasport

Ray's gallery site was one of the first things i came across as i was reluctantly learning to use my first computer during the late 90's. Made me realize this thing is worth figuring out!

preyer

i finally did get a chance to look at these amazing sites. thanks for bringing them to my attention! now i know what y'all are talking about. :)