what's your collecting style?

Started by preyer, February 11, 2009, 06:22:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChattyLMS

Gee Uncle Creepy!  Your wife will kill you?  Hey my hubby won't be able to find me if I keep on going like this!  It should be easy for you to hide!
Laura ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

CreepysFan

No go, she has a supernatural ability if I spend too much.  She tracks better than a Bloodhound, but I get the dog house.
" THIS BLANKET IS A NECESSITY.  IT KEEPS ME FROM CRACKING UP." - LINUS VAN PELT

CreepysFan

With the economy so bad right now, prices on ebay have dropped some preyer.  Now would be the time to seek out the higher priced items for your collection, if that is your main objective.

poseablemonster

I got hooked on monster toys by a local monster toy pusher.  The guy went by the name "Coffin Ray"; and he'd hang around street corners and dark alley-ways, just waiting for good kids like me to come by.  He'd whisper, "Hey, kid...wanna see something really scary?"  Of course, it was just one AHI monster at first.  Harmless enough, but then all the variants and packaged and loose and knock offs and then Lincoln monsters and the rubber jigglers...and now I'm walking the mean streets of Godfrey with only one purpose...MORE MONSTER TOYS!

Minion

I collect stuff I had as a kid, stuff that reminds me of stuff I had as a kid, and stuff I would have bought if it was available when I was a kid.

zombiehorror

I have most of the more affordable items.  I'd love to collect masks, busts, premium format, etc. but with my budget (or lack thereof) I just stick to the lower end stuff.  And even when I get $100+ to spend I'd still rather get several items than 1 more expensive item.  Then again I have spent a little more on some of the vintage stuff that I've wanted.  So I guess my style is if I like it and can afford it I get it.  I mostly stick to Universal stuff now but I have a lot of modern horror, some horror band related items, lots of different monster mags and various halloween items in my collection.

Wicked Lester

It really depends what it is. No way I am spending more than maybe $20 for an old monster comic mag or issue of FM. With the mags I go for covers. one that can be total crap content but a great art cover is a gimme. I recently got 5 mid life issues of Scary Monsters in really good shape for like $30. Toys , the only 2 I HAVE to have are POP Top purple witch and light greenish executioner. Some bullies beat me up and stole em when I was 5 but no way am I paying more than $25 or so a pc for them so I guess I won;t be getting em any time soon. There is a guy on Ebay that wants over $80 a pc! I wonder if there is a bridge that goes with that? I love horror/monster masks and prefer the affordable Death studios Darkside studios and Horrordome. The price of some Magnificent pro pcs are more money than mid level props. I have several of mid level props that I paid around $350-425 for and totally love em. Would I be on cloud 9 with a pro full sized werewolf?   8) 8) 8) 8) 8) Do I have $4K for one. Not now not ever. I've been down the road with the cheapo "dust collectors" and avoid em like the plague no matter how cool.

ChrisW

That's a good question. When i started collecting Auroras it was to restore kits and fill in the gaps I'd lost over the years. I then started collecting the boxes, and boxed kits for display. Then it grew from the monsters to figure kits in general. At first, monster toys were replacements of what I had as a kid, then grew into the toys I had WANTED as a kid, but never got! At the same time i would pick up other items i knew SOMEBODY would want, and sell those to fund my own collecting. Nowadays I'm more likely to look at something and say "What do I need that for?" and pass it up. But there are some things that catch my eye and I have to have them, like the blushing Frankenstein, Mechanix Illustrated Creature issue, etc.
While not usually a completest,  I was very happy when I finally got the Masque of Red Death on Ebay, completing the whole set of Sideshow 8" figures...

CreepysFan

Quote from: Minion on February 12, 2009, 10:39:47 PM
I collect stuff I had as a kid, stuff that reminds me of stuff I had as a kid, and stuff I would have bought if it was available when I was a kid.
What Minion said.  This is my whole method of collecting as well.  Well said Minion.

Jscareshock

I don't know if it's a style but if I see it and I like it, I'll usually buy it.  Like many of you I prefer to acquire the gems that were out there when i was a kid (and either was unaware of or couldn't afford--like RObot Commando fianlyy acquired after 40 yrs).  I firmly belive many of us try to collect the childhood we wish we could have ahd.  I have more toys from my childhood now in my collection than I had as a child.

josie monster

Quote from: Jscareshock on February 13, 2009, 03:52:10 PM
I firmly believe many of us try to collect the childhood we wish we could have and.  I have more toys from my childhood now in my collection than I had as a child.
I think this is true for a lot of us here, stuff wanted but couldn't afford and parents wouldn't buy. For us at our household, it was mostly only birthdays and Christmas since we only got a .25cent allowance. From reading the posts, the nostalgic angle seems to be true for many of you. The new Living Dead dolls are a must for me tho. I don't think it's so much about cost, as it is what makes you happiest. But I am having to watch the spending currently.

Dr. Jitters

QuoteI collect stuff I had as a kid, stuff that reminds me of stuff I had as a kid, and stuff I would have bought if it was available when I was a kid.

This is where I'm at too.  Basically got some things I treasured as a kid but somehow lost along the way.  I keep it pretty simple (due to monetary and space reasons) and focus on Frankenstein stuff, particularly the Karloff likeness.  I picked up particular issues of magazines that stuck in my mind from childhood.  I used to be more compulsive and completist, but I've mellowed about that.  I have several small collections, like drive-in theater stuff.  DVDs are my main expenditure, but even in that arena I'm pretty tight-fisted compared to some.  I picked up the main Aurora (Polar Lights) monster models because my cousin had those when I was a kid and I always coveted his collection!

preyer

i have a lot of fond drive-in memories. a few months ago i researched their history just for the fun of it. yes, i consider this fun. :) (well, to be honest, i was researching marquee designs for portable signs i'd like to build.) i don't care what i have to do, but i'm going to the drive-in this year, god willing and the creek don't rise.

which brings up an interesting aspect to collecting: do you buy accessories for your collection, like a lighted frame for your poster or curio cabinet?

CreepysFan

I started out with one bookcase to house my collection, and am now up to 15 bookcases.  I end up buying at least one bookcase every year, I can't bear to store my precious treasures away in boxes.  We just moved into a new house, and karen (hence forth to be referred to as "The Master") talked me into using the garage as my monster room.  This will  actually work out for me, now I've got room to collect lots more goodies.  ;D  But yeah, sometimes you have to buy something extra to display your treasured goodies in.

ChattyLMS

QuoteWe just moved into a new house, and karen (hence forth to be referred to as "The Master") talked me into using the garage as my monster room.  This will  actually work out for me, now I've got room to collect lots more goodies.    But yeah, sometimes you have to buy something extra to display your treasured goodies in

Oh no, Uncle Creepy!
Say it isn't so!  Your precious collection will be ruined in the garage! 

BTW - My hubby thinks he is the Great and Powerful Oz.  "The great OZ has spoken!!!!" 

Thankfully my treasures are still in the house with me.  The great Oz can move in the garage!
Laura ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)