Schools Cancelling Halloween Celebrations

Started by Monsters For Sale, October 25, 2019, 09:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mord

Quote from: Barlow on October 30, 2019, 03:59:46 PM
Don't quit your day job to be a comedian. I simply refuse to bow down to the communistic thought police and their insane word games that emasculates and warps our language. It's Christmas, not festivus or winter festival. I won't participate in that insanity and I call out those who do. It's that simple.
I have to admit, that's a lot funnier than anything I said. Happy festivus, Easter bunny, Santa Christ or whatever delusional crap you celebrate. Btw, I'm happily retired. I have all day to work on my comedy bits. Communist? Happy McCarthyism Day and Roy Cohn day.

Hepcat

Quote from: Barlow on October 30, 2019, 03:59:46 PMI simply refuse to bow down to the communistic thought police and their insane word games that emasculates and warps our language. It's Christmas, not festivus or winter festival. I won't participate in that insanity and I call out those who do. It's that simple.

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on October 30, 2019, 04:18:13 PMIt's Winter Solstice - and phooey to all the "My invisible friend in the sky can beat up your invisible friend in the sky." lunatics who try to usurp it for their preferred brand of insanity.

I agree with you both.

Xmas is whatever I want it to be and my own preference is for lots of snow, coloured lights, Xmas trees, merrily wrapped presents, candy canes, Cracker Jack, smoked fish and kisielius on Xmas Eve, reindeer and white-bearded fat men in red suits in the company of sexy elves in short red skirts. And I won't tolerate any government bureaucrat or functionary who insists that some change be made in the way I celebrate the season in the interests of "inclusiveness". Screw them. I'll do it my way!

;)
Collecting! It's what I do!

Mord

Quote from: Hepcat on October 30, 2019, 05:00:23 PM
I agree with you both.

Xmas is whatever I want it to be and my own preference is for lots of snow, coloured lights, Xmas trees, merrily wrapped presents, candy canes, Cracker Jack, smoked fish and kisielius on Xmas Eve, reindeer and white-bearded fat men in red suits in the company of sexy elves in short red skirts. And I won't tolerate any government bureaucrat or functionary who insists that some change be made in the way I celebrate the season in the interests of "inclusiveness". Screw them. I'll celebrate my way!

;)
I'm all in for the sexy elvettes in short red skirts. No panties, please.

Barlow

Monsters For Sale wrote:

It's Winter Solstice - and phooey to all the "My invisible friend in the sky can beat up your invisible friend in the sky." lunatics who try to usurp it for their preferred brand of insanity.

My argument is always that if it's not "Christmas", then the stores need to stop using the trappings of Christmas for the holidays - make it a silly "Kwanzaa" season and advertise everything in African leopard colors, not red and green. No Christmas trees, no Santas, no elves, etc. Either celebrate Christmas or don't. But don't take advantage of the season without referring to it as what it is.

Hepcat

Quote from: Mord on October 30, 2019, 04:52:00 PMHappy ... Easter bunny ... or whatever delusional crap you celebrate.

Huh?! I don't see any delusions here:

And I really like everything I see!

;)

Mord

Quote from: Barlow on October 30, 2019, 05:07:02 PM
Monsters For Sale wrote:

My argument is always that if it's not "Christmas", then the stores need to stop using the trappings of Christmas for the holidays - make it a silly "Kwanzaa" season and advertise everything in African leopard colors, not red and green. No Christmas trees, no Santas, no elves, etc. Either celebrate Christmas or don't. But don't take advantage of the season without referring to it as what it is.
The season has been reduced to consumerism. Celebrate that. Do you really think that even half of the celebrations have anything to do with religion? If someone wants to celebrate Kwanza, let 'em. What's it to you? You are the one who's being authoritarian.

KelG1

If you want to get technical about it, Halloween is a European cultural endeavor while Christianity is Middle Eastern.  Christianity had to adopt pagan elements to be acceptable in Europe (i.e. resurrection = season renewal etc).

And I didn't get that from Lovecraft or Chalmers, it's my own quote.  ):P

Hepcat

Quote from: fearliath on October 30, 2019, 04:51:24 PMThe problem is we've allowed the fringe to set the standard for the rest of society to the point that lunacy carries the day. We are at a point where in many places in this country you must dress up as a character that exactly matches your own genealogical and cultural profile. That is crazy and completely defeats the point of Halloween.

I agree! It's political correctness run amuck.

cl:)

Mord

Quote from: Hepcat on October 30, 2019, 05:19:00 PM
Huh?! I don't see any delusions here:

And I really like everything I see!

;)
Brother, I'm on your side. You definitely have the christmas/Festivus spirit.

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Barlow on October 30, 2019, 05:07:02 PM

I'm confused.

Which thought police decided that for everyone else, again?
ADAM

Hepcat

Quote from: Mord on October 30, 2019, 05:23:00 PMThe season has been reduced to consumerism. Celebrate that. Do you really think that even half of the celebrations have anything to do with religion?

Me I'm not opposed to consumerism, I'm not opposed to business, I'm not opposed to sex or the use of sex to sell things and while I have no use for religion myself I have no qualms about other people practicing their own.

What I adamantly oppose is being told what to do, how to think and which attitudes I should harbour, especially by those living off my dime, i.e. Governments.

>:(

Mord

What really pisses me off, is not being able to buy Cadbury Eggs past Easter.

Mord

Quote from: Hepcat on October 30, 2019, 05:52:52 PM

What I adamantly oppose is being told what to do, how to think and which attitudes I should harbour, especially by those living off my dime, i.e. Governments.

>:(

Egad, just who is living off your dime?

Hepcat

A quick look reveals these numbers:

Federal Government of Canada - 260,000 employees
Ontario Provincial Government - 60,000 employees
City of Toronto - 33,500 employees

Mord

Quote from: Hepcat on October 30, 2019, 10:18:48 PM
A quick look reveals these numbers:

Federal Government of Canada - 260,000 employees
Ontario Provincial Government - 60,000 employees
City of Toronto - 33,500 employees

Peanuts compared to U.S. Government. Don't you enjoy all the wonderful services they provide (asked he, fully knowing the answer)?