Author Topic: Son of Draculathon  (Read 275 times)

LinkandSheik

• New Recruit
Son of Draculathon
« on: October 18, 2019, 11:04:40 PM »
I've been watching Dracula films all week, and writing my thoughts on them in the Classic Monster Movies forum. Tonight I watched some newer films, Blacula and Dracula, Dead and Loving It.

I wasn't expecting Blacula to be as serious as it was. With a name like Blacula, I was expecting more of a comedy. I was pleasantly surprised, though. The film starts out dark, with not only Mamuwalde turned into a vampire, but his wife sealed alive with him to die. Mamuwalde is an intimidating vampire, with a deep voice to match.

Dracula Dead and Loving it was a treat. It's hilarious from beginning to end, and tge whole cast sells it. I especially love Renfield laugh. It's almost just like Dwight Frye's.
Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfsbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

LinkandSheik

• New Recruit
Re: Son of Draculathon
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 01:45:35 AM »
I just saw Shadow of the Vampire and Werner Herzog's Nosferatu. If you haven't seen it, Shadow of the Vampire is about the making of Nosferatu, but in which Murnau hired a real vampire to play the part. The portrayal of the vampire was really interesting to me. Dracula, in most movies is a grand, intimidating villain. But I think the vampire here is both more of a monster, and yet more of a man. It is very easy to pity this monster. His monologue about sympathizing with the character of Dracula and of not having eaten or seen the sun in centuries was particularly sympathetic. He has such longing when watching a projection of the sunlight for the first time. At the same time, I feel that he is creepier than most portrayals of vampires. The scene where Murnau strangles him to no effect, only for him to do nothing but smile was chilling. He had the same smile at the climax, and it was just as creepy. I also loved the zeal of Murnau's desire to finish the film at any cost.

The remake of Nosferatu was amazing. My favorite thing about gothic horror is the atmosphere, and this film really has it. Not just the sights, but the sounds. From the soundtrack to the wind and creaking of old houses and Dracula's castle, this film really sells it. This version of Dracula is much more contemptible than most, with none of the suaveness of Lugosi, nor quite as monstrous as the original Count Orlok. He seems almost more ratlike compared to the 1922 version.
Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfsbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

Mike Scott

• Army General
  • So terrifying only screams can describe it!
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 03:11:03 AM »
Good double feature! There's a couple of DVDs I should invest in.
CREATURE FAN

Visit My Monster Magazines Website

LinkandSheik

• New Recruit
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 12:45:04 AM »
 For my final 2 Dracula films of the month, I rewatched Bram Stoker's Dracula and Van Helsing. I chose these 2 because I think they're similar in their over the top gothic stylings. Bram Stoker's Dracula is in some ways more accurate to the book than most. However, it's style is very different to the book, and it adds a reincarnation romance. This movie is a visual delight from beginning to end.

I've heard that many do not like Van Helsing. It may have almost nothing to do with the book, but that is no matter as fun as this film is. I think this may have been the first Dracula, Frankenstein, or werewolf film I ever saw. And it was a great introduction to gothic horror, albeit with an action plot. It is very different to any gothic film, and is not exactly horror. However, I love this film. And can you believe it's already 15 years old? I think it should now be considered a classic film.