The Outer Space Men and the New York Comic Con

Started by NekroDave, February 10, 2009, 03:52:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jscareshock

Gary, the first issue is sold out?  Congratulations!  Keep them coming.

Jscareshock

When this series came out I had enough money to purchase 3 Alpha 7s, the Martian dude, because I wanted to have adventures with Major matt mason and the aliens ala INVASION OF TEH SAUCER MEN.  When one of my Masons had a wire snap in his leg I realized how fragile these gems were so i kept one Alpha 7 on the card.  Now, the card shows an awesome flying saucer on it.  Is there any chance that that suacer can be added as an accessory should these gems make a comeback?

poseablemonster

Quote from: The Outer Space Men LLC on February 23, 2009, 12:26:27 AM
I promise you the figures are on the way.
Wow, if this is the case - and they are re-releases of the classic Mel Birnkrant figures - it is a long time prayer answered for me.

I posted my story in the other thread, but I will do so here as well. 

The Outer Space Men were my favorite toys when I was little, I'm talking 3-6 years old.  I inherited hand-me-down toys from my older uncle, and loved them dearly.  Not just because they were the coolest toys around; but because my uncle would actually play with them with me.  He was long past the age of playing with toys, but he would always get into an adventure with me and the Outer Space Men.
Of course, through the passing of time, they were lost in the shuffle; and all but forgotten until they released the puzzles and the Colorforms playset in the late 70's.  My love for the OSM was rekindled; and my mother and I searched high and low for years; trying to find the figures again.  The workers at the local Venture store knew us from constantly asking if they ever got the figures in!  Of course, we never found them. 
As an adult, I eventually tracked down decent examples of the released figures and did my best to find the second series prototypes.  A fellow collector/dealer in the St. Louis area had a few of the loose second series characters some years ago, but I lacked the "big cash" necessary to get them.  I wanted them so much, though, that if I could have come up with the cash at the time, I would have gotten them.
So, the thing is; these figures mean a great deal to me - much more than this quick blurb can communicate.  I will continue wishing and hoping...

Oh, and if Mel is reading these threads, I have a message.  Thanks for creating a toy line that made this kid happy and bridged the generations in my family.  The Outer Space Men kindled my imagination as a child, and they still keep me hoping for another chance to discover them again.  Few things would make me happier than the opportunity to open up a set of them and play with my kids, just like my uncle did with me all those years ago.

The Outer Space Men LLC

I could not agree with you more about the reissue of the original figures. I will not allow the four or five inch GI Joe type plastic figure to replace the originals. The creator of the toy has the only set of seven mint untouched unglued perfect specimens of the original cards that the first seven figures were mounted on. I would love to use these cards as actual header or backer cards for a full sized reissue of the original figures. Thanks again for your opinion and I really appreciate you taking the time to write the letter that you did. Gary.

Gareee

Very cool. I wasn't thinking of a different format for the newer comic bok based figures, but more of the same style as the originals.

Have talks gone on long enough for a tentative release date? Like the end of 2009, or 1st half 2010 or some such?

The Outer Space Men LLC

If I could please ask a favor of all of you interested in the Outer Space Men, could we continue the posts on this thread. It is hard bouncing back and forth to the other thread to get all of the questions answered. Thanks so much, Gary

Here is what I just posted on the other thread,

I could not agree with you more about the reissue of the original figures. I will not allow the four or five inch GI Joe type plastic figure to replace the originals. The creator of the toy has the only set of seven mint untouched unglued perfect specimens of the original cards that the first seven figures were mounted on. I would love to use these cards as actual header or backer cards for a full sized reissue of the original figures. Thanks again for your opinion and I really appreciate you taking the time to write the letter that you did. Gary.

Now in regards to the new Graphic Novel, the books are sold out in the stores however I have plenty here for those of you who still want one. Please just go to the site: www.theouterspacemen.com to get a copy. We are busy working on the next book, Eric is writing as fast as he can and Rudolf Montemayor will have a script to beginning his amazing illustrations by the end of the summer. Marc Borstel will then do his incredible magic to add the color and the copy.

For Ray Castle; thank you so much for including the OSM with your Hamilton Invaders and King Zor. Two of my most favorite toys even today. After the OSM of course. Please do call me Gary. Ray it would be very hard to be without a carded set of aliens while they were on tour and you would have to understand that my second series can never leave my home as the value of them cannot be calculated and my insurance company would freak. Thank you however so much for the offer. 

For Jscareshock: The image of the flying saucer actual exists!!!. This small craft is actually in Mel's home safe and secure, as is most of the entire original OSM accessories which Mel used to photograph and complete the card art. Go to my site and you will find the Alpha-7 prototype hand carved never produced space ship which was at the NYCC. You will find this hand done Mel sculpture in the gallery images of my personal collection. I am thrilled that you still have a carded Alpha-7, take good care of him, that is a rare one. Best, Gary.

For poseablemonster: What a wonderful story. That collector in St. Louis sold me those four loose second series figures. They were at the NYCC as well. You have a great memory and clearly the impact of the OSM left their mark on your life and they did mine and so many other collectors and fans. I hope that you will find all of this hard work and labor of love that I am doing brings you back to a more wonderful world when playing with the OSM was true magic. I will point out your compliment to Mel if he has not seen it already. Thanks so much to you all, Gary.

The Outer Space Men LLC

And for you NekroDave; thank you so much for welcoming me to this site, I am so impressed with it all, I do not know where to start. Gary.

fmofmpls

Quote from: The Outer Space Men LLC on February 23, 2009, 08:11:04 PM
If I could please ask a favor of all of you interested in the Outer Space Men, could we continue the posts on this thread. It is hard bouncing back and forth to the other thread to get all of the questions answered.

Both threads have now been merged to this one thread.

Thank you to Gareee for the heads up!
The Famous Monster of Mpls.  Sayer of the law.

Roback

Gary, I just want to tell you again what a pleasure it was to meet you at the NYCC. After we started talking I looked at my watch and over an hour went by! You were so great to talk to and I am so happy that you are indeed doing something with the actual toys not to mention another book. I could have sworn that you said that the book and tee were it but I sure am glad that I misunderstood. Your enthusiasm is infectious and it's obvious that this is a labor of love for you. It was cool logging on and seeing you as a member here. Bravo!
Robert Acquarulo

raycastile

Gary, watch this video.  I think you will see some old friends, especially at the 6:04 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew20feC6SVA&feature=channel_page

Raymond Castile

The Outer Space Men LLC

Amazing! Good old Bob Monko. This video has to be over 7 or 8 years old. I bought those four figures from him at least that long ago. He called me about 2 months ago to see how I was doing just to catch up. An interesting fellow indeed. I met him at a toy show in Vegas in 1991 and we have kept in touch since then. I was stunned to find out that he had second series OSM. I wonder what the fifth one was that he is referring to in the video. He only had four when I bought these.

For Roback; (it is so weird not to use peoples real names) I want to thank you for your kind words and tell you that it was wonderful to meet you while in my comic con booth. I respect and revere your Mego collection and knowledge. What is so amazing is that shortly after the success of the OSM, Mel told Harry, the owner of Colorforms to get the licensing on super heroes. Mel felt that it was the next big thing. Harry passed and six months later there was Mego.

Someone tell me how to post images and videos please I have a ton of new stuff that I would like to add to this site. Also, how do I get an image next to my user name like you all have. Thanks and good night, Gary.

raycastile

I shot that video in 1995 in Bob's apartment.  Bob was one of the first toy dealers I met, back when I started collecting in 1989.  I remember the first time I visited his house (back in '89 when he was renting a house).  It was full of toys strewn everywhere.  It was hard not to step on them.  They were just thrown about here and there, stacked on top of each other.  He literally had carded Colorforms Outer Space Men lying around on the carpet.  I remember almost stepping on them.  He had boxed Mego super heroes in his kitchen sink.  Piles and piles of rare toys, as if they just exploded from Santa's bag and randomly landed all over.  It was a mad house! 

Now here I am, 20 years later.  I have a Colossus Rex on an opened card lying on the carpet in my bedroom, with a couple of other toys stacked awkwardly on top of it.  They are blocking a dresser drawer, so I almost hit them every time I open it.  I've got toys strewn about, all over, lying in my path so I can't walk freely without bumping into them or stumbling around them.  It's a mad house!
Raymond Castile

raycastile

To post photos, you have to already have them saved somewhere online.  You can't upload photos to the UMA.  Since you have your own website, I'm sure you've got online storage space for your photos.

You need to right click on the photo and select "copy address."  You can't just copy the URL, because that does not really give you the address of the photo itself.  It only gives you the address of the web page displaying the photo, and that is not what you want.

Once you have copied the photo's address, go into your UMA post and look at the two rows of square icons above the text window.  Click the second box from the left on the lower row.  It looks like a picture in a frame.  It is just to the left of the "globe" icon, and just below the italics icon.  Once you click that, you will see (img)(/img), but in brackets instead of parenthesis.  Paste the image address in between these tags, like this:  (img)imageaddress(/img)   Click post or preview and you should see the image in your post.
Raymond Castile

raycastile

Raymond Castile

Roback

Quote from: The Outer Space Men LLC on February 24, 2009, 04:02:03 AM
Amazing! Good old Bob Monko. This video has to be over 7 or 8 years old. I bought those four figures from him at least that long ago. He called me about 2 months ago to see how I was doing just to catch up. An interesting fellow indeed. I met him at a toy show in Vegas in 1991 and we have kept in touch since then. I was stunned to find out that he had second series OSM. I wonder what the fifth one was that he is referring to in the video. He only had four when I bought these.

For Roback; (it is so weird not to use peoples real names) I want to thank you for your kind words and tell you that it was wonderful to meet you while in my comic con booth. I respect and revere your Mego collection and knowledge. What is so amazing is that shortly after the success of the OSM, Mel told Harry, the owner of Colorforms to get the licensing on super heroes. Mel felt that it was the next big thing. Harry passed and six months later there was Mego.

Someone tell me how to post images and videos please I have a ton of new stuff that I would like to add to this site. Also, how do I get an image next to my user name like you all have. Thanks and good night, Gary.

Hey Gary, I guess it would be safe to say that Mel certainly didn't have a shortage of vision. Superheroes eh? One could only imagine what might have been. While I'm not big in to reproductions of any kind, I am excited about your endeavor. I'm sure that they'll be different enough to establish them against the originals, card art too hopefully. Be sure to keep us posted Gary, especially about the second graphic novel. Your first release was a homerun regarding both the artwork and story.
Robert Acquarulo