The Outer Space Men and the New York Comic Con

Started by NekroDave, February 10, 2009, 03:52:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NekroDave

Ok, my friend's pics are up, including Amok Time, He-Man, Onell and the world's biggest cat....

http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p148/sanjeev666/Feb%202009--NYCC09/

darkmonkeygod

Thanks! So now I know, generic header w a line specific insert card. Too cool. Were the Amok Time Monstarz Frankenstein's Monster and Nosferatu represented at all. I thought the Frankie would be for sale.
Shannon aka monsieurmonkey on UMA Y!

poseablemonster

Ohmygawd!  I'm having heart palpitations after those pics!  All the second series figures loose and carded!  Man, I hope they make them.  I've wanted those things since I was a little kid.

Roback

First off, no Craig, I haven't received anything yet. Secondly, Gary has a website at www.theouterspacemen.com that I think you guys will like. Check it out.
Robert Acquarulo

poseablemonster

Pretty cool site.  It reads like they are in the process of re-releasing the entire line, but who knows?  It would be great if they did.

Roback

Gary didn't mention anything about a re-release and to be honest, he mentioned that doing the graphic novel and the tee's were about it for him. From what I can gather, Gary worked on Wall Street and hit it big. He was then able to take collecting The Outerspacemen to another level. His booth was drop dead gorgeous and had everything from prototypes to original drawings.
If I see anything at ToyFair this weekend regarding a release I'll let you guys know.
Robert Acquarulo

poseablemonster

Quote from the site:
"For the past several years, all 13 Outer Space Men action figures (first and second series) have been studied, researched and federally registered with the United States Patent and Trademark  and Copyright offices for the express intent of bringing them back to the attention of the people who remember playing with them, cherishing them, burying them in the back yard and or finding them in  some box years later where a smile came upon their face as they remembered what it was like to play with a truly wonderful toy.

Not sure what they mean, but it sounds like they are looking into the process of re-releasing them.  Maybe the copyright register was just for the graphic novel?  Too bad if that is the case.  I think these would go over well.  I'd buy them by the case.

Wich2

Rob-

>no Craig, I haven't received anything yet<

Weird. Sent it last week, to the e-addy I had... Will trt again.

>Gary has a website at www.theouterspacemen.com<

It's great.

Best,
-Craig

Roback

If they are planning to reproduce them it won't be by Gary. He mentioned as much. It's too bad too cause Gary has the drive that you'd need to pull something off like this. He's got the resources too. Rumor has it that he is a very broker on Wall Street. From what I saw, I believe it. :D
Robert Acquarulo

raycastile

I agree with Andy that everything on their website seems geared toward preparing us for the grand relaunch of the Colorforms Outer Space Men.  Maybe Gary is not able to talk about it, or he is not directly involved.  Or maybe the website is trying to create a demand for a product, hoping that will lead to a deal with a manufacturer.
Raymond Castile

Roback

Either that or a very effective way to sell books. It worked on me. I bought one. lol
Robert Acquarulo

poseablemonster

Oh, well.  I'm used to disappointment with the Outer Spacemen.
When I was young, we didn't have a lot of money, and I stayed with my grandparents a lot.  So, much of the toys I had were handed down from my older uncles.  The Colorforms Outer Spacemen were some of my favorites - I had Alpha 7, Commander Comet and Electron. 
Fast forward to the mid 70's, and they put out the Colorforms play set and the puzzles where they pictured first series and second series figures.  I remembered my long gone Spacemen, and my mom and I searched stores - literally for years - trying to find these figures as they were my #1 toy want for a long time.  Alas, it was not to be...and looks like it still isn't.

raycastile

I had Alpha 7 and Astro-Nautilus.  I think I also had Xodiac, though it might have been Orbitron or Electron +.  I'm pretty sure it wasn't Commander Comet.  I used to nibble on Nautilus' head.  I had a lot of fun chomping down on him.
Raymond Castile

Jscareshock

So what happened to writing campaigns?  These toys are awesome and for those of us who grew up playing with them they were even more awesome.

Can we organize some kind of letter writing campaign to let Mattel or whoever know that we'd like them to reissue these figures????????

Wich2

Not to be a parade-rainer, but:

Have any of these types of revivals really caught fire? I'm a Captain Action guy, and I know that one crashed and burned; 12" Joe is being cancelled again, yes?

-Craig