Author Topic: Dracula-thon  (Read 310 times)

LinkandSheik

• New Recruit
Dracula-thon
« on: October 02, 2019, 12:05:52 PM »
This year I decided to watch a bunch of Dracula movies I haven't seen. I started things out by rewatching Nosferatu and Dracula 1931. I love the set design of these old movies. Nosferatu I love because it's from a time few today would be alive to remember. It's almost literally found footage, and Max Schreck is a master at playing a malevolent monster. Bela Lugosi is great at playing a sinister villain, and will always be the best. I especially love the set design in this film, it really gives an atmosphere of gothic horror. Tonight: Dracula's Daughter and Son of Dracula.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 02:08:00 PM by LinkandSheik »
Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfsbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

Mord

• Sergeant
Re: Dracula-thon
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 12:25:21 PM »
Great idea. I recently watched Nosferatu.  It holds up very well (considering it's almost 100 years old). Schreck is incredible in it.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 03:22:21 PM by Mord »

LinkandSheik

• New Recruit
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 01:23:51 AM »
Dracula's Daughter:
I wasn't expecting a film like this, but I like it. I've never seen a gothic noir, and I like that they tried something different. I especially loved the back and forth between Dr. Garth and Janet.

Son of Dracula:
This one was pretty interesting, but I felt Lon Chaney was weaker as Dracula. Of course he couldn't compete with Lugosi, but I enjoyed his breakdown at the end. I was actually surprised at the ending. I never thought Universal would go through with it, and it was a great twist.
Next up: Spanish Dracula and Dracula in Istanbul.
Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfsbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

LinkandSheik

• New Recruit
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 01:10:57 AM »
Finally got around to watching the Spanish version of Dracula 1931. I really liked Carlos Villarias' performance, and I especially loved his hypnosis scenes. I thought they were better than Lugosi's, although it was more due to the cinematography. Pablo Rubio was also great as Renfield and though I think Dwight Frye was creepier, I loved Rubio's more over the top performance. It's been said by many before, but this I think is better than the english version in many ways, although I'll always love Lugosi's performance best.

marsattacks666

• Sergeant
  • I'm almost.....Human.
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 06:26:19 AM »
Finally got around to watching the Spanish version of Dracula 1931. I really liked Carlos Villarias' performance, and I especially loved his hypnosis scenes. I thought they were better than Lugosi's, although it was more due to the cinematography. Pablo Rubio was also great as Renfield and though I think Dwight Frye was creepier, I loved Rubio's more over the top performance. It's been said by many before, but this I think is better than the english version in many ways, although I'll always love Lugosi's performance best.

The Spanish version of Dracula 1931 is still my favorite. However. It is difficult to chose between both Dracula 1931, films. Both are unique in their own style of film making. Plus, Tod Browning, he is such an incredible Director.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

LugosiFan25

• Sergeant
  • You're horrid, you're ghastly, and I love you true
    • The Eternal Drive-In
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 02:15:51 PM »
The Spanish version of Dracula 1931 is still my favorite. However. It is difficult to chose between both Dracula 1931, films. Both are unique in their own style of film making. Plus, Tod Browning, he is such an incredible Director.

I enjoyed watching the spanish version of Dracula if to get a chance to see the great sets from different viewpoints and to get a chance to see what some of the extra scenes and extended sequences that they cut from the English version at the eleventh hour were like.

Unfortunately, the actor playing Dracula in the Spanish version just makes me laugh. He's supposed to be scary, but he just isn't. And this is coming from a big fan of the later Mexican horror films of the 50s and 60s.
"....flying saucers? You mean the kind from up there?"

LinkandSheik

• New Recruit
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 10:31:06 PM »
Had a bit of trouble watching Drakula in Istanbul. Tried to watch it on youtube, but it's edited into a silent film. I ended up downloading it from archive.org, but in poor quality.

There's no Renfield in this version, but they added a hunchback character and I think he's my favorite. There's a scene where the Harker analogue gives him a box of cigarettes and he looks so happy, as if no one's ever been this nice to him. The Mina in this is a dancer, which makes for a few memorable scenes, including some belly dancing. The Dracula in this is ok with an intimidating voice. He seems vulnerable in a few scenes for Dracula though. At one point he even sneaks up on someone and punches them out. I actually laughed at this scene because it seemed so unlike how I imagine Dracula.

LinkandSheik

• New Recruit
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 11:25:14 PM »
Just saw Horror of Dracula and Brides of Dracula. Horror of Dracula is great, and the first color Dracula I've seen this year, not counting Monster Squad. I love the set design, and Cushing and Lee are great as Van Helsing and Dracula. Its interesting that they made Van Helsing already a vampire hunter in this film, and this is probably the most thrilling Dracula I've seen so far.

Brides of Dracula I liked even more. I was expecting Dracula's brides to show up, based on the title. However, I liked the original plot to this, and the villain in this I think sold the charming vampire pretty well. I thought the baroness was going to be more of a villain here. I thought she would be the vampire and the man locked up her innocent prisoner.