MOC Collectors may be in for a shock: Remco Mini Monster Horror story

Started by Anton Phibes, October 02, 2019, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anton Phibes

So a friend of mine is a major MOC collector.

Everything has to be mint, sealed on nearly perfect cards. Slight bubble yellowing is all he could tolerate.

He recently bought a carded Dracula Remco Mini Monster, the same lot contained Phantom and Mummy. 3 hard to find figures on mint cards.

He thought he finally finished his set and got the others he already had out, and admired them as he watched tv.

As he lifted Dracula, he noticed a glossy run of "film" on the cape and legs. Therefore, he opened Dracula.

Apparently after 40 years in a plastic tomb, Drac had a reaction of some sort . The cape or figure had had (at some point) a chemical reaction of some sort with the packaging. He freaked. He decided to open another without a cape. Frankenstein. Same thing. Sticky, clear goo of some sort.

Bottom line: he opened them all. Each one had this residue. After washing them with warm soapy water, the goo was washed clean.

He now has a great set of loose monsters.

It makes me wonder how many folks think they have mint sets, only to have this film/goo on them unbeknownst to them.

It also makes me wonder what caused this. What an unhappy Halloween.

I have a loose set myself, so this isn't a worry for me. But it has put me off ever trying to get an MOC set.

marsattacks666

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Hepcat

Collecting! It's what I do!

Mord

That's terrible, Anton. I would not have opened the others that weren't visibly affected. Think of the Schrodinger's cat theory. The cat in the box is either dead or alive. You never know for sure if you don't open the box. The figures look fine in the package. The goo is removable when you take it out. Hence, they are mint on mint cards. Problem solved.

Mike Scott

CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Anton Phibes

I think his fear was they would continue to deteriorate. Then just be piles of goo,lol. They aren't mine...so I have no horse in the race. However, it does make me wonder what exactly was happening to them? They are petroleum based after all....maybe being sealed up like that was breaking them down? Only The Shadow Knows I guess. I sure hope my Sideshows don't do this,lol. Especially rubbery suit one like Creature and Mutant.

Gojirafan

Quote from: Anton Phibes on October 02, 2019, 06:49:06 PM
I think his fear was they would continue to deteriorate. Then just be piles of goo,lol. They aren't mine...so I have no horse in the race. However, it does make me wonder what exactly was happening to them? They are petroleum based after all....maybe being sealed up like that was breaking them down? Only The Shadow Knows I guess. I sure hope my Sideshows don't do this,lol. Especially rubbery suit one like Creature and Mutant.
Could be just the enviromental conditions they were stored in.  They seem similar to Star Wars figures from the same period. Not sure if that frequently happens to those.   
Wish I had 2 of each toy as a kid....1 to play with and 1 kept mint in the box!!

Anton Phibes

Quote from: Gojirafan on October 02, 2019, 08:57:38 PM
Could be just the enviromental conditions they were stored in.  They seem similar to Star Wars figures from the same period. Not sure if that frequently happens to those.

Well, they were in those bubbles for 40 years, and probably ran through various environmental conditions during that time. So you may be on to something.

Gojirafan

Quote from: Anton Phibes on October 02, 2019, 09:41:14 PM
Well, they were in those bubbles for 40 years, and probably ran through various environmental conditions during that time. So you may be on to something.
If someone has carded remco or star wars figures they want me to watch for the next 40 years I would be happy to do so to test my theory.  PM me :)
Wish I had 2 of each toy as a kid....1 to play with and 1 kept mint in the box!!

marsattacks666

Could be a climate issue. Now I am concerned about my REMCOs and Metaluna Sideshow figure.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Mord

Quote from: marsattacks666 on October 02, 2019, 11:10:03 PM
Could be a climate issue. Now I am concerned about my REMCOs and Metaluna Sideshow figure.

My friend has two of each 12" Sideshow figure, one for display and one MIB. He's checked on the Creature and the Mutant, recently. There was zero sign of deterioration after all these years (about 15 ). I would just celebrate that you are one of the lucky ones to obtain them. Btw, his apartment is like an oven during the summer. Dont worry, be happy (to qoute an annoying pop song).

marsattacks666

Quote from: Mord on October 02, 2019, 11:37:36 PM
My friend has two of each 12" Sideshow figure, one for display and one MIB. He's checked on the Creature and the Mutant, recently. There was zero sign of deterioration after all these years (about 15 ). I would just celebrate that you are one of the lucky ones to obtain them. Btw, his apartment is like an oven during the summer. Dont worry, be happy (to qoute an annoying pop song).

Thank you, Mord. Being most of my collection is in a climate controlled storage facility, I still worry. All of my Elusive Concept masks have deteriorated. I have actually done nothing to mitigate the situation

Mord

Quote from: marsattacks666 on October 03, 2019, 12:34:52 AM
Thank you, Mord. Being most of my collection is in a climate controlled storage facility, I still worry. All of my Elusive Concept masks have deteriorated. I have actually done nothing to mitigate the situation
Yeah, my friend had the same problem with masks. How old are yours? The only mask I own is that cool Creature one that came out a few years ago. So far, so good.

aura of foreboding

Quote from: marsattacks666 on October 03, 2019, 12:34:52 AM
All of my Elusive Concept masks have deteriorated. I have actually done nothing to mitigate the situation

Samesies.  Loved these masks.  Such a shame they rotted the way they did.  The only one I have left is Dracula, and it's in a trunk, so I have no idea how bad it's gotten.  Frankenstein was the first to go. 

MadCow

Yikes! This really is a horror story. I have a carded set of GITD figures on the glowburst cards and well as a regular Phantom. I'll have to take a closer look next chance I get.