Author Topic: Dracula's banks, and broken Addams Family Thing banks  (Read 45 times)

SWretired

• New Recruit
Dracula's banks, and broken Addams Family Thing banks
« on: August 06, 2019, 09:23:45 PM »
I have rebuilt over 20 "Thing" banks, so I'm usually looking for those that no longer work, at a reasonable price, with the box. If the box has the original cardboard inserts (2), and instruction sheet, that would be great.

As to the more rare, but less desirable "Draculas's Banks", I've been looking for the first generation box. It's green with a blue hand holding dollar bills. I'd pay up for one in great condition with the bank. I also can rebuild broken "Dracula's Banks" too, (in most cases). They use the same little green gears as used on the "Thing". If the motor runs but nothing happens, I can probably fix it. The gears always end up splitting, and then just spin on their shafts.  I install brand new Delrin gears, which should last forever..

The Dracula's Banks are an interesting puzzle. I can find out almost no information about them. I have four working ones, one has the mechanism that makes the box shake when a coin is inserted, like the "Thing" bank. The others don't have this function. They either added this mechanism, or removed it at some point, but they're not all the same. I researched the patent number on Japan's site for patent numbers, and found the patent for Dracula's Bank was issued in late 1962 to early 1963.  That's all I can find out about it, and any person with knowledge about this would be appreciated. I don't know who sold them, or how long their run was. I can only guess around the same time as the "Thing", through the 70's. They are sturdier built, and a little bigger, so I suppose they cost more new.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 10:34:03 PM by SWretired »