Thingmaker and More

Started by gracebuster, February 07, 2009, 06:50:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gracebuster

Thats a pretty cool concept. How great to be able to play with it and create the monster.

Hepcat

Quote from: SpeedierThantheGrave on November 14, 2014, 07:21:00 AMAfter a year of ebay searching I finally got a hold of a pretty rare Toymax Mutant Squad set!

Oh wow! Great score.

8)
Collecting! It's what I do!

horrorhunter

Here are the rest of my Thingmaker sets. The sets are complete and sealed. The Creepy Crawlers Collector's Case contains all of the original Creepy Crawlers as well as some others.

Creepy Crawlers:

Creepy Crawlers Collector's Case:

Maker-Paks for Creeple Peeple & Giant Creepy Crawlers:

Another look at my sealed Fright Factory posted earlier in this thread:

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Mord

I can still feel the burns on my fingers while playing with these. You could never get away with a toy this cool with today's idiotic safety rules. Survival of the fittest, I always say. If you can't survive your childhood toys, you probably weren't meant for this world.

horrorhunter

Quote from: Mord on December 21, 2014, 06:47:58 PM
I can still feel the burns on my fingers while playing with these. You could never get away with a toy this cool with today's idiotic safety rules. Survival of the fittest, I always say. If you can't survive your childhood toys, you probably weren't meant for this world.
My thoughts exactly, dude. No wonder there are so many neurotic wimps around now with all these coddling pampering rules. Let kids deal with minor problems so they have the mind set to deal with the real sh*t when they become adults.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

Quote from: horrorhunter on December 21, 2014, 05:45:16 PMHere are the rest of my Thingmaker sets. The sets are complete and sealed. The Creepy Crawlers Collector's Case contains all of the original Creepy Crawlers as well as some others.

Those are simply fabulous! I'm in awe.

8)

horrorhunter

Quote from: Hepcat on December 21, 2014, 08:26:55 PM
Those are simply fabulous! I'm in awe.

8)
Thanks, Hep!

I have another Creepy Crawlers set that I got off eBay to USE. Some of the bugs pictured above came with that set and are originals from the '60s, and most I made a year ago last Thanksgiving. Nothing like spending an afternoon making Creepy Crawlers when you're 54.  :laugh:  Have to say though, it was fun. It really took me back.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

jimm

That collectors case is awesome

Therin of Andor

"Mattel Bringing Back Thingmaker As A 3D Printer For The Home"

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?itemid=25942
Thiptho lapth,

Regards, Ian.

Hepcat

horrorhunter

Quote from: Therin of Andor on February 13, 2016, 07:50:28 AM
"Mattel Bringing Back Thingmaker As A 3D Printer For The Home"

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?itemid=25942
But there would be no smell of hot Plastigoop, or sense of danger trying keep your fingers from being burned.  ???

Seriously though,  this could be very cool if it actually worked correctly.  :-\
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

Quote from: horrorhunter on February 15, 2016, 05:52:03 AMBut there would be no smell of hot Plastigoop, or sense of danger trying keep your fingers from being burned.  ???

My qualms too!

:-\

ZeMastor

Quote from: Hepcat on February 15, 2016, 05:04:38 PM
My qualms too!

:-\

I think I'd have a bigger qualm about any toy that's based on computer software. After all, 20 years ago, we were still using MS DOS 5.0 or MS DOS 6.0, or we might have been on the cutting edge with Windows 95. These days, it is very, very difficult to get Win 95 programs to run on Win 7 (which isn't even current).

But, old-fashioned toys like the Thingmaker still work, as long as the heating element hasn't burned out. Even after almost 50 years, there is no software incompatibility or glitches because everything exists in a physical-only form. That's the fun of making everything by hand- it can always be done with the simplest tools. 
Check out my Miniatures, Crafts and Toy blog at:
http://www.zemastor.blogspot.com

My Flickr album:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/17151893(*at*)N06/

ChrisW

I think it's brilliant marketing.
50 years ago Thingmaker (and Vac-u-form) were state of the art toys that mimicked real toy making/production methods. This iteration of Thingmaker does the same thing, with the additional bonus of being able to design your own objects and print them as well. Back in the day we sure couldn't cast our own molds to use in our Thingmaker - we were limited to the molds that Mattel released.
I wonder if this is based on the DaVinci Jr XYZ printer that has been available for a while. It lists at 349.00 but was available for less during the holidays.

Frankenmummy

I had the Fright Factory Thingmaker set when I was younger... Great stuff!
JIM