Author Topic: MAD MAGAZINE's Death Throes  (Read 1208 times)

Hepcat

• Sergeant
Re: MAD MAGAZINE's Death Throes
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2019, 04:16:28 PM »
Maybe for the same reason they are not sending in cereal boxtops to collect valuable prizes.

Yes. They're all about instant gratification these days. They can't be bothered to do anything that doesn't involve a video screen.

:(
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 10:15:39 AM by Hepcat »
Collecting! It's what I do!

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2019, 05:13:47 PM »
Maybe for the same reason they are not sending in cereal boxtops to collect valuable prizes.

That's OK.  I got it.
ADAM

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2019, 02:00:13 PM »

Here's another Mad Special that I clearly remember buying in the late spring of 1966 at my corner variety store:

...can anyone identify all the singers on the cover? I can only ID about half of them.

???

Not all, but my best guesses are:

Bobby Darin, Dean Martin, Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, and Harry Belafonte on the lower left.  That leaves the four on top.

George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, John Lennon, Johnny Mathis, Bob Dylan, and Elvis Presley on the right.  Not sure who is behind the elbow!

Here's my present thinking after some consultation and research. Clockwise on our upper right it's George Harrison, Paul McCartney, John Lennon and Ringo Starr. Then continuing clockwise below John Lennon it's Johnny Mathis, Elvis Presley and Bob Dylan.The fellow behind Alfred E. Neuman's left elbow may be Pat Boone but it's tough to tell.

The two on the lower left are Frank Sinatra and Harry Belafonte. The fellows directly above Sinatra and Belafonte are Andy Williams and Tony Bennett. The one with the pink shirt on the left is Frankie Avalon. Robert Goulet is between the LP and Neuman's right ear. And Bobby Darin is the one pulling his hair on the top left.

Most of the rest look familiar somehow but I can't quite put my finger on precisely their ID's. And should not Bing Crosby be in there somewhere?

:-\
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 09:39:45 AM by Hepcat »

Monolith

• Sergeant
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2019, 12:34:53 AM »
Here's another MAD paperback cover I always liked...

The Bedside Mad ( Signet 1959 ) by donald deveau, on Flickr

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2019, 09:11:29 AM »
I love those Signet Mad paperbacks! Since they don't stand up well to reading/handling, paperbacks though are even harder to find in pristine grade than are magazines. Collecting paperbacks would therefore be a tough act.

:)

Monolith

• Sergeant
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2019, 12:29:01 AM »
I love those Signet Mad paperbacks! Since they don't stand up well to reading/handling, paperbacks though are even harder to find in pristine grade than are magazines. Collecting paperbacks would therefore be a tough act.

:)

Yes, I guess they are kind of hard to find in pristine condition. I do have some, though. I mostly pick them up at flea markets and thrift stores when I see them, if they don't cost too much and if they're in pretty good condition. Here's another MAD paperback.

Like, Mad ( Signet 1960 ) by donald deveau, on Flickr

Mord

• Sergeant
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2019, 04:06:15 PM »
 Just got back from Amoeba Records in Hollywood. They had many vintage MAD issues in their collector section. I guess the word is out. Decent prices, too.

marsattacks666

• Sergeant
  • I'm almost.....Human.
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2019, 04:42:14 PM »
Just got back from Amoeba Records in Hollywood. They had many vintage MAD issues in their collector section. I guess the word is out. Decent prices, too.

Ugh! I miss Amoeba!!!
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2019, 11:00:36 AM »
Yes, I guess they are kind of hard to find in pristine condition. I do have some, though. I mostly pick them up at flea markets and thrift stores when I see them, if they don't cost too much and if they're in pretty good condition.

Cool! How many were published, and how many do you have?

???

Monolith

• Sergeant
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2019, 03:29:54 PM »
Cool! How many were published, and how many do you have?

???

I was talking about paperbacks in general--I have quite a few paperback books. But as far as the MAD paperbacks, they published A LOT--I don't know how many exactly, though. I don't have all of mine at hand, some are packed in boxes, but here's another one I had on the shelf. This one has Jack Davis art on it...

Utterly Mad ( Ballantine Books 1963 ) by donald deveau, on Flickr

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2019, 10:42:26 AM »
Evidently 93 straightforward Mad paperbacks were published between 1954 and 1993 plus dozens more 'irregular" ones:

List of Mad Paperbacks - The Mad Museum

8)

Monolith

• Sergeant
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2019, 12:44:22 AM »
Cool. Thanks for the info, Hep! I knew there was a lot of them. I have a few more, too. Here's my first edition copy of the first MAD paperback...

The Mad Reader (Ballantine 1954 ) by donald deveau, on Flickr

Monolith

• Sergeant
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2019, 05:42:50 PM »
Here's a MAD paperback from 1955...

Inside Mad Paperback Book ( Ballantine 1955 ) by donald deveau, on Flickr

Monolith

• Sergeant
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2019, 05:45:35 PM »
And this one is a 17th printing from 1969. I think these later printings with the colorful art on them are hard to find. This is the last MAD paperback that I have on my shelf. I have some more, but they're packed away in boxes.

Mad Strikes Back ! - 17th printing ( Ballantine 1969 ) by donald deveau, on Flickr

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2019, 10:36:01 AM »

Mad - Book - No.23 - Howling Mad
ADAM