WHERE IS EVERYBODY?

Started by Monsters For Sale, June 24, 2019, 10:38:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hepcat

Quote from: Doh! on June 25, 2019, 02:22:41 AMI am also one of the last holdouts on The HMA.

Unbelievable! The HMA forum won't let me register. It says I've answered the questions incorrectly!

In which month do we celebrate Halloween?:
October

What is the last name of the current U.S. President?:
Trump

How many fingers does a human have? Type the word.:
ten

::)
Collecting! It's what I do!

Wicked Lester

Quote from: Hepcat on June 25, 2019, 03:39:03 AM
Unbelievable! The HMA forum won't let me register. It says I've answered the questions incorrectly!

In which month do we celebrate Halloween?:
October

What is the last name of the current U.S. President?:
Trump

How many fingers does a human have? Type the word.:
ten

::)

Hep. That's where you screwed up. We have 8 fingers and 2 thumbs. Well,most of anyway.

Doh!

Six. The correct answer is six fingers...

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Doh! on June 25, 2019, 05:42:52 AM
Six. The correct answer is six fingers...

He has a brain that big and doesn't know he has 12?

(Has anybody counted his toes?)
ADAM

Kidagain

Hep,went on the HMA site and posed the question about accepting new members and am waiting for a reply.Will let everyone now.

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Kidagain on June 25, 2019, 12:26:29 PM
Hep,went on the HMA site and posed the question about accepting new members and am waiting for a reply.Will let everyone now.

Count me stupid.  What does "HMA" stand for?
ADAM

aura of foreboding

geezer butler

I agree with the sentiment in this thread. I have no interest in joining FB (or similar platform) to discuss our love of monsters.  In my experience there are too many uninformed and bitter people out there in social media land. I like our corner of the universe here.

In terms of activity on UMA, I admit once the semester starts my participation tends to go down. I still check the forum every day, just post a bit less. But when I'm not teaching I post as often as possible.

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: geezer butler on June 25, 2019, 06:11:20 PM
I agree with the sentiment in this thread. I have no interest in joining FB (or similar platform) to discuss our love of monsters.  In my experience there are too many uninformed and bitter people out there in social media land. I like our corner of the universe here.

In terms of activity on UMA, I admit once the semester starts my participation tends to go down. I still check the forum every day, just post a bit less. But when I'm not teaching I post as often as possible.

What do you teach?
ADAM

Hepcat

Quote from: Kidagain on June 25, 2019, 12:26:29 PMHep,went on the HMA site and posed the question about accepting new members and am waiting for a reply.Will let everyone now.

Yes, please do. the administrators might want to change their question to one less subject to interpretation/debate. I wonder how many other potential members just gave up on the effort to join?

???
Collecting! It's what I do!

geezer butler

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on June 25, 2019, 06:56:13 PM
What do you teach?

I'm an interdisciplinary guy, so my backgrounds are in criminology, cultural studies, and political science. Most of my work these days is in criminology and cultural studies. For example, i teach "Crime and Film" classes. That's a lot of fun. I try to incorporate as many horror films as possible. Frankenstein and Psycho are always part of the syllabus. Often I bring in American Psycho, Seven, Silence of the Lambs, and The Texas Chain Saw Massacre as well. We tried Land of the Dead one semester but students didn't seem to like it  :(.

aura of foreboding

Quote from: geezer butler on June 25, 2019, 06:11:20 PM
In my experience there are too many uninformed and bitter people out there in social media land.

Oh.  My.  God.  Yes.

I am part of a Dark Shadows Facebook group, and you wouldn't believe the amount of stupid that exists there.  People literally just believing facts into reality.  I've watched the entire series dozens of times.  I know my stuff.  But I rarely participate in the discussions because people there literally just make stuff up or decide they want something to be true, and thus it is.  Must be nice to live in a fact-less world. 

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: aura of foreboding on June 26, 2019, 06:02:23 AM
Oh.  My.  God.  Yes. ...

... Must be nice to live in a fact-less world. 

No politics, please.
ADAM

aura of foreboding

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on June 26, 2019, 06:06:05 AM
No politics, please.

Zombie LOL

Seriously, though, I don't know what happened between the invention of message boards and the time social media took off, but literally everyone thinks his opinion is valid now.  On message boards, facts generally prevailed.  Even when you had a moron, people would keep him inline and eventually silence his voice.  On Facebook, blithering banter reigns supreme, totally unchecked.  I think it's the way it's formatted.  People just talk to talk, not because they actually know what to say.  And there's no way to say that's not okay.