Author Topic: Anybody Home ?  (Read 956 times)

aura of foreboding

• Sergeant
Re: Anybody Home ?
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2019, 01:30:12 AM »
.....and  a nice glass of cold milk

Thank you!   Zombie Razz

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2019, 09:53:21 AM »
Personally I miss the days when we had home milk delivery:

And dairy bars abounded:

:(
Collecting! It's what I do!

Mike Scott

• Army General
  • So terrifying only screams can describe it!
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2019, 10:57:34 AM »
Ah, the good old days when everybody ate pie with their hands! "Napkin? No thanks. I'll just use my pants."

CREATURE FAN

Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2019, 11:11:41 AM »
Yes, with all those bored housewives on his route the milkman could always count on getting a piece somewhere along the way.

:)

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2019, 11:37:45 AM »
[Easter] Another one of those holidays I have no idea when it is.

That's 'cause it is one of those worthless holidays where you don't get a day off of school or work.

Might as well not happen at all.
ADAM

Mike Scott

• Army General
  • So terrifying only screams can describe it!
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2019, 11:55:16 AM »
That's 'cause it is one of those worthless holidays where you don't get a day off of school or work.

'Cause it's on Sunday.  ;D
CREATURE FAN

Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2019, 12:08:02 PM »
Yes, sad. And Sunday was also the only day the milkman couldn't count on getting any pie.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 01:17:09 PM by Hepcat »

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2019, 12:13:15 PM »
Personally I miss the days when we had home milk delivery:...     :( 

Remember when the Helms Truck sold bread and pastries?

They continued all through my high school years. They would drive up and down the streets like the Good Humor ice cream trucks that came around in good weather. 

The Helms Truck had their distinctive whistle that would announce their presence.
               https://youtu.be/AJhiM0O58QY?t=26

When someone came out their front door, the truck would stop and open up their back door to reveal beautiful wood cabinets with glass fronts.  If it was hot, they could open up an awning overhead.  They had big, fat glazed donuts that I loved.  Occasionally, I would get a cream puff.
ADAM

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2019, 12:18:07 PM »
Yes, sad. And Sunday was the only day the milkman couldn't count on getting any pie.

I doubt the wedge was Cherry very often.
ADAM

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2019, 12:46:04 PM »
Sweet cherry pie!

;)

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2019, 12:47:05 PM »
Remember when the Helms Truck sold bread and pastries?

They continued all through my high school years. They would drive up and down the streets like the Good Humor ice cream trucks that came around in good weather. 

The Helms Truck had their distinctive whistle that would announce their presence.
               https://youtu.be/AJhiM0O58QY?t=26

When someone came out their front door, the truck would stop and open up their back door to reveal beautiful wood cabinets with glass fronts.  If it was hot, they could open up an awning overhead.  They had big, fat glazed donuts that I loved.  Occasionally, I would get a cream puff.

Wow! Too cool! Whereabouts was this?

???

Sadly I don't remember Helms or any such roving baked goods trucks in my formative years.

We did get home bread delivery from London's own Lewis Bakeries for a while when we lived in Manor Park on the edge of London in the fifties. Many a housewife's household budget was blown succumbing to the pastry temptations proferred that day by the bread man! Best of all though my buddy Dave had a job helping the Jackson's Bakeries bread man make his deliveries Saturday mornings. Talk about a marriage made in heaven! All the delivery man had to do was drive since he had a young boy doing most of the work for him, and Dave got to ride around in a very cool bread delivery truck and run to each house on the route carrying bread in a basket! I'll have to ask Dave whether he received anything more than free tarts and other pastries for his efforts....

8)

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2019, 12:52:14 PM »
Wow! Too cool! Whereabouts was this? 

Southern California.

Just like the milk man, you could fill out a little request form for bread (or whatever) every week and he would stop and blow his whistle when he got to your door.

Those drawers were super deep.  He could pull them w-a-y out to display all his goods.

I remember being fascinated with the huge, bright silver change maker he wore on his belt and how fast he could dispense the correct change without looking at what his fingers were doing.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 12:59:28 PM by Monsters For Sale »
ADAM