Author Topic: Your Parents' Attitude Towards All Things Monster  (Read 3691 times)

Scatter

• Sergeant
Re: Your Parents' Attitude Towards All Things Monster
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2010, 05:03:35 PM »

Wow, cool!  I'm getting a tattoo of the Poster art from Cannibal Holocaust.
The pictures involves a Woman and a  wooden........anyway!!! >:D

LOL!! Yeah, I remember that movie Mars!!
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2020, 09:22:36 PM »
Mine didnt care for it.They often wondered what happened to me and why I was into this stuff. As I aged I never gave them any trouble with drugs drinking or being a trouble maker.I explained thats what monsters did for me and them.

Good for you!

8)
Collecting! It's what I do!

Haunted hearse

• Sergeant
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2020, 12:52:34 AM »
My father was 50, when I was born, and I grew up in the 1960s, when there was a lot of Monster media out there. My mother bought me a Munster Lunchbox to take to school, and she was fond of Boris Karloff and Vincent price. My father wasn't from this country, so he really knew little about monster movies. However he was very fond of Disney, and we went to Disneyland every year. maybe because he was from Central America, he was quite a fan of the original Pirates of the carribean attraction, and The Haunted mansion, which he called "the Enchanted House". Since he was a physician, he kept some medical curiosities, including an actual Skeleton that once hung in his office. When he was closing down his office, I asked for the Skeleton, which he gave me.   
What ever happened to my Transylvania Twist?

taha93

• New Recruit
  • I am working as a blogger
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2020, 01:41:00 PM »
My dad didn't liked these kind of films until he saw Godzilla and after that i remember we watched ever monster movies like jusrassic world and king kong and single film changed his perception and he enjoyed watching monster films apart from king fu lol.

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2020, 12:03:43 PM »
My very old school father strongly discouraged my interest in monsters with a view to protecting me from the nightmares which he himself got as a youngster back in the old country listening to the tales old women would tell to scare kids.

Similarly, he hated finks/weird-ohs. I guess he thought those were undignified and would reflect badly with other parents or something like that.

Therefore when I bought a Revell Brother Rat Fink T-Shirt Iron-On Transfer like the Rat Fink one above at Seven Mile Hobby Shop in Detroit in the summer of 1964(?) and successfully applied it to one of my T-shirts, my father took one look at it, confiscated it and used it for a rag in the garage. Very sad. The same fate befell the Rat Fink sweatshirt I ordered up and received from "Big Daddy" Roth's shop in the winter of 1965-66.

For whatever reason my father though wasn't opposed to my purchasing Creepy and Eerie magazines. I think he regarded that as a step up from my buying comics which he collectively dismissed as "monkeys".

Curiously though my mother seemed to better understand the desires within young boys. She wasn't opposed to me getting the Great Garloo or one of the Aurora monster model kits I was admiring at the Kresge store downtown in 1962-63. She was just opposed to spending the money.

:-\
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 08:24:28 AM by Hepcat »
Collecting! It's what I do!