Monster Toys YouTube series

Started by raycastile, February 04, 2019, 06:06:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raycastile

Raymond Castile

marsattacks666

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Palifan

Quote from: raycastile on March 24, 2019, 10:37:28 PM
http://youtu.be/nyxXZfP4FbI

Another great episode Raymond and I especially enjoyed this episodes subject matter with getting into these figures recently. The Fly was always the one I was after which I did pick up from the US before returning to the Uk although it will need upgrading at some point (The Fly really needs his shoes!).

Another area that interests me from this tomland/star raiders series is the 3/4" figures and after just over a year I've almost managed to put a full loose set together. I don't remember seeing these growing up but love the look of them and I'm only a couple away from completing them although this is made up of both glow and non glow versions. They are a little tricky to find with good stickers and even harder to find with their weapons but as they seemed to be released with and without weapons I'm not so worried about the accessories.

It's funny how these knockoff figures have become so sought after, after all these years but I guess collectors move on to the next thing once they complete a focus.

Looking forward to seeing what's next out of the box  :D

Ian

raycastile

Raymond Castile

Palifan

Quote from: raycastile on March 31, 2019, 06:06:10 AM
http://youtu.be/B9CMNt8UDNM

Another great episode Raymond and just letting you know that I've sent you a PM.

All the best,

Ian

raycastile

Raymond Castile

Joseph_Baeza

Raymond, I just wanted to chime in to let you know I started watching the episodes last week, and I'm hooked!  Really enjoying your presentation as I salivate over your awesome collection!

raycastile

Quote from: Joseph_Baeza on April 18, 2019, 11:03:47 PM
Raymond, I just wanted to chime in to let you know I started watching the episodes last week, and I'm hooked!  Really enjoying your presentation as I salivate over your awesome collection!

Thank you!
Raymond Castile

raycastile

Raymond Castile

marsattacks666

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

raycastile

Raymond Castile

Palifan

Another great show and as I know little to nothing about these masks there was a lot to learn which is always a bonus!

One thing I was wondering with regards to the masks starting to stiffen in places is do you think that the plastic bags they are wrapped in might be reacting with the rubber? I have a lot of vintage plastic toys and the loose ones I have I now keep in acid free paper bags as some of them were starting to react to the plastic zip lock bags I was using before. This might have been due to the temperature conditions of where they had to be stored for years ( the loft in the Uk isn't the best place to keep things as it can have quite dramatic temperature changes through the year but I didn't have a choice at the time). Some of the plastic were becoming sticky which can happen over time but I've also found out that air circulation helps with things like this so it's a good idea to have a small hole in a zip lock bag if using them.

It's just a thought and I know that sometimes it's just the luck of the draw as latex or plastic that's being used for each run will change and some are better than others over time (similar to how some bubbles yellow on sealed carded items). Hopefully your mask collection will carry on in great shape for years to come and thanks again for taking the time to post these great vids up.

Ian

raycastile

Thank you! I have heard that plastic actually softens the rubber, and that plastic dries the rubber. I have seen masks harden in plastic bags, out of plastic bags, stuffed with plastic bags, nowhere near plastic bags. I have seen masks that have been in a plastic bag for 50 years and are just fine, and masks that have been in a bag for five years and have turned to dust. Some people say it's exposure to light. I keep my masks out of the light. Some say it's humidity. I have a dehumidifier. I don't think there is any rhyme or reason. I think it has more to do with the rubber and whether it contains fillers or other chemicals. I do know that Be Something/Zagone Studios had a policy of only using plastic bags that were graded for use in the food industry. They would store and ship their masks in bags. When they used a lower grade of bag, some of their masks rotted in storage. When they switched to bags made for food, the masks remained intact. One of the company's founders told me this. So I started using bags from grocery stores whenever possible.

I think there is a problem with comic book storage bags and rubber. I store a lot of jigglers in vinyl bags made for comics. The rubber of the figures themselves doesn't seem to react to the bags. But the rubber in the elastic bands often deteriorates. The bands become brittle or gooey. I wonder if the rubber in the elastic is made of latex rather than the petroleum-based rubber used to make the figures. I started switching over to storing jigglers in grocery bags to see if that made a difference. I haven't determined conclusively whether that helps. It seems like the best way to store jigglers is with no bag at all. Just dump them all in a cardboard box, like they shipped from the factory.

Quote from: Palifan on April 30, 2019, 07:15:30 AM
Another great show and as I know little to nothing about these masks there was a lot to learn which is always a bonus!

One thing I was wondering with regards to the masks starting to stiffen in places is do you think that the plastic bags they are wrapped in might be reacting with the rubber? I have a lot of vintage plastic toys and the loose ones I have I now keep in acid free paper bags as some of them were starting to react to the plastic zip lock bags I was using before. This might have been due to the temperature conditions of where they had to be stored for years ( the loft in the Uk isn't the best place to keep things as it can have quite dramatic temperature changes through the year but I didn't have a choice at the time). Some of the plastic were becoming sticky which can happen over time but I've also found out that air circulation helps with things like this so it's a good idea to have a small hole in a zip lock bag if using them.

It's just a thought and I know that sometimes it's just the luck of the draw as latex or plastic that's being used for each run will change and some are better than others over time (similar to how some bubbles yellow on sealed carded items). Hopefully your mask collection will carry on in great shape for years to come and thanks again for taking the time to post these great vids up.

Ian
Raymond Castile

raycastile

Raymond Castile

Mike Scott

That's what I like! Lots of Creatures!  :)
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website