Ellis Burman masks from movies/TV and beyond

Started by Sir Masksalot, January 10, 2019, 06:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Masksalot

The retail masks of Ellis Burman Sr predated and may very well have inspired the later Post Studios classics.
It's always a pleasant surprise to catch glimpses of them in television shows of the 1960s. I spotted these three
in an episode of "Gilligan's Island" from '65

I believe they're Mr Burman's takes on Dracula, the Mummy, and Hunchback characters

Surviving copies are pretty scarce these days but I've seen a few out there in private collections. If you have any info
or images of early Burman masks from shops, ads, or media, I'd love to see.

vayapues

Thx for the nice grabs, Sir M. I have to say it's not a given that the outer 2 boys (Dracula, Quasimodo) are Burmans -- tho they might be. I think they date from the mid-60s, & their provenance seems to be something of a mystery at this point. But that Mummy is a Burman for sure, from the early 60s, & does predate the Don Post "calendar" line by several years. In fact, it was Post's exclusive license with Universal that might have finally phased the Burmans out, even as, like you say, those very masks were the 1st to demonstrate a viable niche for upscale retail monster masks.
For many more pix, historical info, & hysterical conjecture on the great Burman mask saga, check out this long, fun thread on Classic Horror Film Board: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/monsterkidclassichorrorforum/mask-question-for-mr-don-glut-t23671.html