Author Topic: How I would manage the Universal Monsters  (Read 1104 times)

JFAWWE

• New Recruit
How I would manage the Universal Monsters
« on: November 01, 2018, 02:37:41 PM »
This is just a wish but if I could take over how the Universal Monsters are being handled I would do the following immediately:

Work out contracts with the Karloff, Lugosi and Chaney estates so that is fair and beneficial for both sides.

Try to purchase the 1931 Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde from Paramount pictures and make him an official Universal Monster. I would also try and do the same with some other classics.

Restore and release the silent versions of Phantom of the Opera and the Hunchback of Notre Dame and release them on Blu-Ray.

Re-release the Universal Monsters Classic Collection on Blu-Ray with the same artwork and design (plus add additional titles like the Invisible Ray etc.).

Re-start the Universal Monsters shared movie universe but make sure the monster designs are closer to the original and start out in the late 1,800s. Worry more about the story and production than mega-movie starts who want to control aspects of the story.

Work with toy companies and retailers to make Halloween special again.

Sigh I can only dream.

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
  • Haunted Hulk...The Horror Of The Seven Seas
Re: How I would manage the Universal Monsters
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 03:13:02 PM »
Most of us fans want pretty much the same things. It seems like a no-brainer but Uni just can't seem to get on the same page as their real fanbase.

Uni keeps wanting to go huge with a shared movie universe and turn Horror into Action with the emphasis on big Hollywood star power and special effects. It worked for Marvel, but Horror is very different from Superhero. Uni should dance with what brung 'em as it were.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

LugosiFan25

• Sergeant
  • You're horrid, you're ghastly, and I love you true
    • The Eternal Drive-In
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 03:23:07 PM »
I think the main problem is, Universal is trying to follow other franchises' steps and mold what they have into something they aren't. Universal doesn't understand what made those original films work anymore and I don't think they care anyway. They definitely don't care what us Monster Kids think. We're not the primary audience they are trying to reach.

This isn't just an issue with them but an issue with the entirety of Hollywood right now. When they decide to take a classic franchise, such as The Lone Ranger, Zorro, the Universal Monsters, or heck, even the DC Comics heroes, they completely change everything about them to fit the mold of what they think a modern audience wants. Then, when the film (or films) fail, instead of blaming themselves for not handling the property correctly or trying to please the fans whilst bringing new ones on board, they blame the property itself. They think no one cares about it anymore and therefore they leave it behind, searching for more pop culture to regurgitate into these nonsense reboots/remakes/reimaginings, etc.

Then what we have is a modern audience who only knows the Green Hornet as that crappy Seth Rogen movie that came out a few years ago. And that is why remakes and reboots are killing the industry. And in my opinion, pop culture itself.
"....flying saucers? You mean the kind from up there?"

LaettnersLegacy

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 01:31:26 PM »
Are you saying that Universal had something to do with the 1931 J&H movie...or for them to buy the rights to a classic monster movie to bring him into the fold?
"This is my left foot. This is my right foot. These are both my feet"

Mike Scott

• Army General
  • So terrifying only screams can describe it!
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 02:15:30 PM »
Are you saying that Universal had something to do with the 1931 J&H movie...or for them to buy the rights to a classic monster movie to bring him into the fold?

The latter.
CREATURE FAN

Visit My Monster Magazines Website

LaettnersLegacy

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 02:24:45 PM »
Ah ok. Then they should buy 1945 The Picture of Dorian Grey from MGM...
"This is my left foot. This is my right foot. These are both my feet"

Mike Scott

• Army General
  • So terrifying only screams can describe it!
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 03:13:47 PM »
Then they should buy 1945 The Picture of Dorian Grey from MGM...

I think the movie you want is "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen".  ;D
CREATURE FAN

Visit My Monster Magazines Website