Author Topic: Revenge of the Creature 3D Blu-ray replacement disc  (Read 5590 times)

Anton Phibes

• Sergeant
  • Good Evening, Dr. Vesalius
Re: Revenge of the Creature 3D Blu-ray replacement disc
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2018, 02:36:11 PM »
Replacement disc came today. 2d version really doesn't look any different. Soft details. Here is a question for some of the seriously technical among us who still have dvds of Revenge of the Creature. Despite the blu's soft details in long shots....is the quality still better than the dvd version? I no longer have the dvds to make a comparison, and wish to make sure this version is still better than the old dvd version.

It seems out of all of the Universal Legacy blus that Werewolf of London (with its excessive hissy audio, and complete audio master volume drop for the last 15-20 minutes of the movie) and Revenge of Creature (with the soft video details) are the only two films that don't really cut the mustard.

Thanks for any help.
"Nine Killed you---Nine shall Die!"

zombiehorror

• Sergeant
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2018, 03:37:04 PM »
Replacement disc came today. 2d version really doesn't look any different. Soft details. Here is a question for some of the seriously technical among us who still have dvds of Revenge of the Creature. Despite the blu's soft details in long shots....is the quality still better than the dvd version? I no longer have the dvds to make a comparison, and wish to make sure this version is still better than the old dvd version.

In theory yes the Bluray, even over DNR'd is still better when it comes to the data/numbers.  You really don't have to be a techy to determine it, all it would take is the right individual to compare the two while viewing them; I've yet to see any screen shot comparisons but have been looking for them.  I may pick this up around Christmas but it sounds like I'll be sticking with the 3D version of the softened 2D; if I do pick one up, I'll be sure and do some screen shot comparisons.

Lunkenstein

• Sergeant
    • Brain of Lunkenstein
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2018, 12:31:14 AM »
Just noticed this week that the CREATURE Blu Ray legacy set is available to buy again on certain sites.  Amazon had it listed for a couple days, but suddenly it's back to third party options only. I see it listed on Best Buy and Target, but the lowest price I could find was on Barns and Noble's site for $27.99.  I held off on the original release after reading about all the problems, but finally went ahead and ordered it from there.  Even if REVENGE still doesn't look superb, I've really wanted the set for the first and third films.

Note to Anton: I still have the 2004 CREATURE DVD legacy set, so sometime after the holidays I will try a viewing comparison of the DVD vs BLU RAY REVENGE.
Paul

Lunkenstein

• Sergeant
    • Brain of Lunkenstein
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2018, 12:13:01 AM »
OK, broke open the revised Creature  blu ray Legacy set tonight. I watched the 2D version of REVENGE OF THE CREATURE and totally agree Universal blew it big time. It's truly a shame with all the work the restoration folks did that the end product had to be botched. It's watchable, but no better than an average DVD except for occasional shots. I will say the last 15 or 20 minutes seemed to get better, amost up to HD level.

Afterward, I pulled out my 2004 Creature DVD Legacy set and put in REVENGE to compare. I didn't sit through a complete second viewing, but scanned it - pausing and watching various scenes. The good news is the 2004 version isn't any better quality than the new blu ray. In fact, it looks basically similar except for the aspect ratio which seems more correct on the blu ray.  So, to Anton and others I would say your not missing anything by not having your old DVDs. It's just sad we didn't get something outstanding like the first and third films.
Paul

zombiehorror

• Sergeant
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2018, 12:41:04 AM »
I watched the 2D version of REVENGE OF THE CREATURE and totally agree Universal blew it big time. It's truly a shame with all the work the restoration folks did that the end product had to be botched. It's watchable, but no better than an average DVD except for occasional shots. I will say the last 15 or 20 minutes seemed to get better, amost up to HD level.

Whoever decided to max the DNR on the one side (can't recall if it was the right or left) should be fired and then whoever decided to use that same side as the 2D view should be fired.  The 3D version is much more defined than any previous dvd version.

Mike Scott

• Army General
  • So terrifying only screams can describe it!
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2018, 01:01:56 AM »
How incompetent do you have to be to recall something to fix it and then send back out the same damned thing? Did they ever actually fix anything? If so, why didn't we get it? I just don't get what's going on with this thing! (FYI I haven't bought one, yet.)
CREATURE FAN

Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Lunkenstein

• Sergeant
    • Brain of Lunkenstein
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2018, 06:48:09 PM »
I've read there was a problem with getting the 3D version to work on some players, so they fixed that but ignored the fan's complaint about the soft 2D version. I don't have or plan on getting a 3D set up, so I really wanted the 2D version to be fixed. It looks like Universal is gonna let this go by the wayside, just like the audio drop in the WEREWOLF OF LONDON blu ray and the DVD 14 flipper fiasco from the 2000's.
Paul

zombiehorror

• Sergeant
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2018, 09:12:45 PM »
How incompetent do you have to be to recall something to fix it and then send back out the same damned thing? Did they ever actually fix anything? If so, why didn't we get it? I just don't get what's going on with this thing! (FYI I haven't bought one, yet.)

They never acknowledged the soft 2D presentation as being an issue, only the fact that the 3D presentation was not automatically recognized by 3D Bluray players.  Revenge isn't the first film to encounter the DNR issue and I don't believe that any Bluray has ever been recalled to a DNR caused soft image.

Mike Scott

• Army General
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2018, 10:19:47 PM »
Well, it looks like this is all we're gonna get, so it's either buy it or don't, I guess?
CREATURE FAN

Lunkenstein

• Sergeant
    • Brain of Lunkenstein
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2018, 11:59:14 PM »
Unfortunately, yep. Still, it's nice to have the first and third films looking so good and they're my favorites.
Paul

Mord

• Sergeant
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2018, 12:33:23 AM »
The way Universal treats it's dvd/bluray releases, we should have all stuck with our VHS tapes

Mike Scott

• Army General
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2018, 09:45:54 AM »
The way Universal treats it's dvd/bluray releases, we should have all stuck with our VHS tapes

They had the best box art!  :)
CREATURE FAN

crissrudd4554

• Corporal
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2018, 06:56:30 PM »

Times like these I’m glad I still have mine. Yes by today’s standards they are inadequate but I don’t recall ever watching one and being disappointed with what was presented unless the tape or machine was faulty! 😉

They had the best box art!  :)

Agreed sir. Hey some studios have been doing repackaging of some of their releases with VHS retro art so maybe Universal will do something with their Monster flicks. They’ll likely just recycle the same old poster covers again but hey we can dream right??

Mike Scott

• Army General
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2018, 08:15:08 PM »
They’ll likely just recycle the same old poster covers again but hey we can dream right??

Yeah, they'd screw it up!  ;D
CREATURE FAN

Hastor

• New Recruit
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2019, 07:01:08 PM »
I just picked up the Creature set. Primarily I'm a 3D collector, and didn't know about this until I tried to watch 'return'. I already had an import of the original in 3D but not the sequel, so that's the main reason I bought this.

I emailed the address I've seen on articles for a replacement but those are all from a few months ago. How quickly do they respond, and can anyone confirm they are still watching for emails? I notice this set is hard to find now, can't get direct from Amazon like the sets for the other monsters. I'm hoping they are still honoring this replacement. If not it's a return unfortunately. I bought it new so can provide whatever proof they need.