Box Art

Started by Klaatu, January 29, 2009, 04:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaatu

Does anyone have any Monster "Box art" to post here?...I would love to see it.
It can be pics of original boxes or even work by fans of Monster kits that should have been made (or maybe will).
It would be interesting to see what Aurora (or whoever) would have chosen for modern Monster kits and what the box art would  or should look like. ;D
"Such Power Exists?"

Jscareshock

Klaatus, there is a website and I wish I could remember it.  The dude has annual contests and picks winners that he reproduces and sells.  Last year there was a cool Zacherley and more.  Can't remember the site.  Sorry.

Klaatu

That sounds like a great site...If it comes to you what it's called please post!!! :)
"Such Power Exists?"

monsterphile

Ask and you shall receive:

http://morbidmonster.com/

UMA's own George Chastain, a very talented man, has created someof these I believe including a great one of Zach.  UMA, one-stop monster toy info shopping!

Rob

monsterphile

Oh, and if they actually ever made all of these fantasy models, we'd all be broke.

Klaatu

Many thanks monsterphile, much appreciated...I'm off there now to have a look! ;D
"Such Power Exists?"

Klaatu

Thanks for the links...I'm interested in making some of my own "Aurora Box Art"...just for fun.
Does anybody know what fonts/typefaces are used on the original box art and where I can get them from?

If they turn out OK...I'll post them up here for comments.

Thanks! ;D
"Such Power Exists?"

ChrisW

Ok, here's one.

Polar Lights was considering releasing A Martian War Machine and Martian figure kit back in 2002. They had me make up concept drawings of the kits and box mock ups to show to potential buyers. The big box retailers weren't interested, so Playing Mantis decided it wasn't worth the expense.
Notice the "gold" seal on the box, indicating the 50th anniversary of WOTW...

On a personal note, I was pretty happy with this painting. I did it a few hours one night, and the whole project - kit drawings, 2 concept paintings, box mechanicals, 2 box mock ups and presentation prints were done over the course of a week-end and put on a plane Sunday afternoon for a meeting Monday morning.

HARRY HAMMOCK

Very Nice Mr White,very nice.You do outstanding work and have a few of your prints adorning my wall.Keep up the good work.

mike c

Really a beauty, Chris! Love the angle, and the detail (the lp at its feet is awesome!)... thanks very much for posting that!

Mike C.

Klaatu

That is so cool Chris...Thank you so much for posting it.
It's a shame it wasn't used though...I hope you still got paid for all of your hard work.
Was the illustration done digitally or traditional paints?

I'll be posting a couple of mine here soon I hope...Just trying to get the correct fonts together.

Do you have any more box art you'd like to exhibit here Chris?

Thanks again  ;D
"Such Power Exists?"

Jscareshock

ChrisW that box art is shear genius!!  Awesome!

ChrisW

Thanks for the nice comments!
Klaatu, the painting was done in acrylics on illustration board. Started with washes, then opaques to punch it up a bit.
OK, who's next? Klaatu, looking forward to seeing some of your creations...
BTW, the original titles on the Aurora long boxes were done by hand. However, you can find a font found on-line that simulates it very well. In fact, the title for THE INVISIBLE MAN model kit was done in it. The font I used is called "Haunted House", a truetype font. It might be found elsewhere with other names. The large block font on the sides might be a Franklin Gothic Bold, but without having one in front of me I can't compare it...

imagineerie

Very cool, Chris!  I would have loved that model!
In the movie, I never noticed that the martian had a mouth.  Was the mouth really there, or was it added to make the model figure more interesting?
"Uh--Mother-- m-my mother, uh--what is the phrase?--she isn't quite herself today."

ChrisW

Quote from: imagineerie on February 03, 2009, 06:57:47 PM
Very cool, Chris!  I would have loved that model!
In the movie, I never noticed that the martian had a mouth.  Was the mouth really there, or was it added to make the model figure more interesting?

As far as I could tell there were ridges underneath the eye - I extrapolated from there.