Author Topic: Guilty pleasures  (Read 6642 times)

Wolfman

• Sergeant
Re: Guilty pleasures
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2018, 10:13:33 PM »
1 more and I'm calling it a night.

Mama Told Me Not To Come - Three Dog Night

JP

Wicked Lester

• Sergeant
  • You won't hear me until it's too late!
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2018, 10:50:32 PM »

Disco? Ok, I would feel guilt, too (just kidding). I have to admit that my musical taste is very narrow. I really don't like songs that are happy or danceable. I like dissonance with angry lyrics and a grating or distinctive voice.

For the most part I truly agree with you, my wife used to listen to happy bouncey songs like "Walking on Sunshine" and I would just cringe and say BS. On the otherhand I cant't be a hater or suicidal all the time.
! No longer available
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 11:07:34 PM by Wicked Lester »

Mike Scott

• Army General
  • So terrifying only screams can describe it!
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2018, 10:58:54 PM »
Bad Moon Rising - CCR

Oh, come on! Creedence is not a guilty pleasure! Where's the "guilty" part?
CREATURE FAN

Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Wolfman

• Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2018, 11:47:40 PM »
Oh, come on! Creedence is not a guilty pleasure! Where's the "guilty" part?
That's true, but I'm not adhering to guilty pleasures. I'm just listing some bad ass 60's/70's songs. Three Dog Night is not a "guilty" pleasure either.

JP

geezer butler

• Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2018, 12:43:19 AM »
I agree with Mord, in that im pretty unapologetic about what i listen to. But if i had to pick one, i posted a few weeks ago how im a big fan of the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack. I like alotta disco in general. Probably the other type of music i still sort of like, now get ready this is really bad i admit---but i still like some mid 90s R&B like Jodeci and Al B Sure. I cant believe i just wrote that. Now even i wanna kick my own ass, lol.

geezer butler

• Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2018, 01:14:18 AM »
Im thinking about WL saying hes "not a music Nazi," and i dont think i am either, but maybe im more "authoritarian" than i think. So obviously im a metal head, but i like alotta different kinds of music---from other rock n roll genres, to classical music, jazz, 80s new wave, disco, hip hop . . .etc. But i do believe that Rock n Roll should be one's point of departure for listening to music. Rock n roll should be your favorite, and then branch out from there. Rock music should be the alpha and omega. You can listen to anything in between, but in the end gotta come back to rock music.

Ive met countless students who dont listen to rock, dont like it, and in a lot of cases arent even familiar with rock music. So many tell me "all i listen to is EDM, or country, or rap, or whatever." It makes me sad. And im only half joking when i say they are victims of poor parenting. I know part of what makes RnR great is that the masses never got it. It's our thing and that makes it special. We get it. But still, how do you go through life not listening to and loving rock music???

Wicked Lester

• Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2018, 04:09:28 PM »
So getting back to my comment about not being a "music Nazi" this comes from a band that I loved back in the 80s 90s and still listen today.
Kick ass music and fun in an evil way lyrics. Check out Metal Inquisition. >:D

Mord

• Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2018, 09:29:24 PM »
Im thinking about WL saying hes "not a music Nazi," and i dont think i am either, but maybe im more "authoritarian" than i think. So obviously im a metal head, but i like alotta different kinds of music---from other rock n roll genres, to classical music, jazz, 80s new wave, disco, hip hop . . .etc. But i do believe that Rock n Roll should be one's point of departure for listening to music. Rock n roll should be your favorite, and then branch out from there. Rock music should be the alpha and omega. You can listen to anything in between, but in the end gotta come back to rock music.

Ive met countless students who dont listen to rock, dont like it, and in a lot of cases arent even familiar with rock music. So many tell me "all i listen to is EDM, or country, or rap, or whatever." It makes me sad. And im only half joking when i say they are victims of poor parenting. I know part of what makes RnR great is that the masses never got it. It's our thing and that makes it special. We get it. But still, how do you go through life not listening to and loving rock music???

I have to admit that I may be a "music Nazi". I'm very intolerant of music that I consider "manufactured (i.e. top 40 hip hop). There is such an obvious formula that makes a lot of the songs sound identical. The fake, electronic beats, the mindless use of auto-tune, the dumbing down of lyrics....ABSOLUTE conformity. I miss the dominance and diversity of rock. Rock evolved into something magical due to its incorporation of all types of music. It started as a hybrid of country, blues, jazz, & R and B. As it began to sound a little tired...BOOM! It merged into various subgenres. There was Prog Rock , for those who valued flashy musicianship. Metal emerged (Thanks, Sabbath), for those who wanted louder & harder. Too slow? Then the punk movement sped it up cranked the volume even more. Folk rock for those who valued lyrics. Country rock for our southern friends. I could enjoy all those combinations,  as long as the passion was there.
  I have to agree with you about today's music fans. To them, rock is as dead as Big Band was to our generation. The problem is, they haven't replaced it with anything revolutionary. EVERTHING has the same production techniques ( even the same "writing" and production teams. My music would tear any wall down. Now you have an onslaught of wimpy, dancy,  crooner crap (Drake? Justin Beaverlake? Selena Gomez? Arianna Grande? Katy Perry?). Come on! These idiots are all Mickey Mouse Club alumni.  That should say it all. It's just people prepped for success by following all the rules.
  It will never deter me. I try to support all current acts that will turn their amps to eleven, and "Kick out the jams, motherf**kers"!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 04:55:31 PM by Mord »

Wicked Lester

• Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2018, 11:51:39 AM »
Believe or not back 25-30 years ago I was actually going to Techno bars and Rave parties. In the 80's I really started getting into infectious space and EBM. Nothing like "party favors" ;) and pretty much mind altering music that just sucks you in.

LOVE me some Funk to and this is one of my faves from way back when,

! No longer available

« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 04:25:35 AM by Wicked Lester »

Wicked Lester

• Sergeant
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2018, 01:32:39 AM »
Hope my fellow Comrades enjoy this one. ;)

Wicked Lester

• Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2018, 10:58:35 PM »
So 30 even 15 years ago I would have told you to turn this crap off.
https://youtu.be/SFiv9M577a4

As I get older we change and progress in many things including our tastes in ,well,everything.
In my 20's,the distant past,I would pretty usually listen to either HEAVY METAL or punk. When we would have parties my wifes friends started to not come around because I was usually half drunk and obnoxious and laugh when they wanted to hear some Steely Dan  u6juu
So I would toss this on and laugh.
https://youtu.be/1JTj3G3Fclw

Now I can't stand more that about 5 mins of the stuff.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 11:14:18 PM by Mike Scott »

Mike Scott

• Army General
  • So terrifying only screams can describe it!
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2018, 11:16:53 PM »
Lester, your post was one big link. I think I fixed it correctly?
CREATURE FAN

Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Wicked Lester

• Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2018, 12:06:12 AM »
So Mord,Buddy,Bro, I'm sure this is going to make you cringe and want to rip the damn arms off your chair.
That is why this thread is called Guilty Pleasures.
I really like this stuff altho I would never ever crank this in my 4x4 in traffic like I do with Death Metal. But it is great at a party with alcohol and lots of pretty girls.
My wife Kat (RIP baby) LOVED this stuff.

https://youtu.be/d4-1ASpdT1Y?list=RDd4-1ASpdT1Y

So to do the flipside THIS is more me. I have been recently been diagnosed as Bi-Polar. So that may explain things.

https://youtu.be/Txn6TtSqXls
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 11:02:00 AM by Mike Scott »

Wicked Lester

• Sergeant
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2018, 12:18:45 AM »
Lester, your post was one big link. I think I fixed it correctly?

I think we both fixed it. I went in once I checked it and re-re-re-edited it.

Thanks

geezer butler

• Sergeant
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2018, 09:01:13 PM »
I have to admit that I may be a "music Nazi". I'm very intolerant of music that I consider "manufactured (i.e. top 40 hip hop). There is such an obvious formula that makes a lot of the songs sound identical. The fake, electronic beats, the mindless use of auto-tune, the dumbing down of lyrics....ABSOLUTE conformity. I miss the dominance and diversity of rock. Rock evolved into something magical due to its incorporation of all types of music. It started as a hybrid of country, blues, jazz, & R and B. As it began to sound a little tired...BOOM! It merged into various subgenres. There was Prog Rock , for those who valued flashy musicianship. Metal emerged (Thanks, Sabbath), for those who wanted louder & harder. Too slow? Then the punk movement sped it up cranked the volume even more. Folk rock for those who valued lyrics. Country rock for our southern friends. I could enjoy all those combinations,  as long as the passion was there.
  I have to agree with you about today's music fans. To them, rock is as dead as Big Band was to our generation. The problem is, they haven't replaced it with anything revolutionary. EVERTHING has the same production techniques ( even the same "writing" and production teams. My music would tear any wall down. Now you have an onslaught of wimpy, dancy,  crooner crap (Drake? Justin Beaverlake? Selena Gomez? Arianna Grande? Katy Perry?). Come on! These idiots are all Mickey Mouse Club alumni.  That should say it all. It's just people prepped for success by following all the rules.
  It will never deter me. I try to support all current acts that will turn their amps to eleven, and "Kick out the jams, motherf**kers"!

Preach Brother!! Nice Motor City 5 reference too---underrated band imo. To be fair they did not record very much material, but the music they did record kicked butt.