OPINIONS: The Film Detective Restored Versions

Started by Mike Scott, August 24, 2018, 01:55:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Scott

I bought The Film Detective restoration of The Vampire Bat when it came out and was very happy with the quality of the restoration. As you probably know, it was done with the cooperation of the UCLA Film Archive, so they had the best available elements to work with.

Below is a list of TFD DVDs I would be interested in buying, if the quality (picture, sound, completeness, whatever) is better than the Alpha, Roan Group, etc. DVDs. I've read some negative reviews of their product, in general. I thought I'd see if any UMA members have any opinions of these DVD, especially if you can compare them to other releases. Are they worth spending $10 to replace my Alpha disc?

The Amazing Transparent Man
The Ape
The Ape Man
Attack of the Giant Leeches
Bluebeard
The Corpse Vanishes
The Ghost Walks
The Giant Gila Monster
House of Secrets
The Killer Shrews
Killers From Space
King of the Zombies
The Mad Monster
The Monster Maker
The Monster Walks
Murder by Television
Mysterious Mr. Wong
One Body Too Many
Revolt of the Zombies
Scared to Death
The Sphinx
Spooks Run Wild
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Memphremagog

Mike, the KING OF THE ZOMBIES edition from them is something they should be ashamed over...the ending of the film is basically missing from this so-called "restored" offering. No excuse for this whatsoever has been offered for it as well. 

On the other hand, I will say that they did a nice job on DEMENTIA 13(even though it's not on your list, it may be worth checking out..)

I also got their VAMPIRE BAT and was pleased with that. I would say depending on the film, it can be hit or miss with them.
DARK SHADOWS:

David Collins: "Dead people dont just get up and walk around.."

Sarah Collins: "Sometimes they do."

Mike Scott

Quote from: Memphremagog on August 24, 2018, 02:30:13 AM
Mike, the KING OF THE ZOMBIES edition from them is something they should be ashamed over...

Thanks! Guess I'll keep the Alpha n that one.  :(
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website