Author Topic: Halloween Horror Nights featuring the Universal Monsters  (Read 788 times)

Remco Wolfman

Halloween Horror Nights featuring the Universal Monsters
« on: August 22, 2018, 10:47:43 PM »
Universal Studios is featuring (an updated version of) Dracula, Frankenstein & the Wolfman in one of its mazes for Halloween Horror Nights this year. I actually like the take on Frankenstein in the video:

https://www.halloweenhorrornights.com/

Teaser Video:

« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 10:57:02 PM by Remco Wolfman »

aura of foreboding

• Sergeant
Re: Halloween Horror Nights featuring the Universal Monsters
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 01:59:42 AM »
This is cool.  I would love a movie that followed this same plot.  I'd also be okay with these designs.

TheMadScientist

• New Recruit
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 08:44:15 PM »
A few walk through videos are on youtube of the maze. It looks kinda neat, though shorter than I would like. This video is the best one I've seen on youtube, in terms of getting a look at the maze:

aura of foreboding

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 01:43:44 AM »
That is actually really cool.  The best "haunted house" I've seen.  So much slasher and clown stuff in haunts nowadays.  This is really what a haunt should be... good old fashioned monster movie scenes. 

Mike Scott

• Army General
  • So terrifying only screams can describe it!
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 10:09:50 AM »
This video is the best one I've seen on youtube

The hung up some classic Universal movie posters, but painted over the actor's faces with generic (and "scarier") monsters.
CREATURE FAN

Visit My Monster Magazines Website

aura of foreboding

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 12:54:59 PM »
The hung up some classic Universal movie posters, but painted over the actor's faces with generic (and "scarier") monsters.

It irked me a bit, but it tied together the theme.  Still could have left them be.  After all, the "real" monsters must surely be more frightening than the movie versions...   ;)

Rex fury

• Private First Class
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 01:54:41 PM »
Other than the poster paint overs this looks petty fun. Did I miss the mummy? I saw the sarcophagus but no mummy? I would have liked to see the Creature too.
RF

TheMadScientist

• New Recruit
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 04:39:32 PM »
Other than the poster paint overs this looks petty fun. Did I miss the mummy? I saw the sarcophagus but no mummy? I would have liked to see the Creature too.
RF

The Mummy is in the sarcophagus. I've watched a few of the youtube videos, and in some of them he jumps out at people. The Wolfman is also in the crypt at the very beginning right after Frankenstein is holding the dead girl. Seems odd that they don't have the Creature in it at all...they easy could have added some sort of lagoon or water set between the crypt and the main Frankenstein's Castle set.

This one has a bit more of the Wolfman and Mummy:
https://youtu.be/tzoY5rJlg5g
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 05:01:02 PM by TheMadScientist »

Mike Scott

• Army General
  • So terrifying only screams can describe it!
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 06:32:44 PM »
Seems odd that they don't have the Creature in it at all.

Costs too much to make the costume.
CREATURE FAN

Visit My Monster Magazines Website

aura of foreboding

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 08:06:20 PM »
The Mummy is in the sarcophagus. I've watched a few of the youtube videos, and in some of them he jumps out at people. The Wolfman is also in the crypt at the very beginning right after Frankenstein is holding the dead girl. Seems odd that they don't have the Creature in it at all...they easy could have added some sort of lagoon or water set between the crypt and the main Frankenstein's Castle set.

This one has a bit more of the Wolfman and Mummy:
https://youtu.be/tzoY5rJlg5g

Thanks.  You could clearly see Fritz, Renfield, and Henry in this one.  Too cool! 

Count_Zirock

• Sergeant
  • My blood now flows through her veins!
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2018, 06:47:10 PM »
Costs too much to make the costume.
From the press release I saw, they were only featuring monsters from the 1930's and '40's. The "Golden Era." "Creature" is 1950's.
"That's either a very ugly woman or a very pretty monster." - Lou Costello

geezer butler

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2018, 02:29:25 PM »
I'm actually going to be in LA for work next week. I'm spending a few days extra there and plan on visiting Universal Studios and seeing this attraction. Do you recommend buying tickets in advance? Or buy at the door? Also, how should I budget time? I'm also interested in the Halloween 4 and Stranger Things attractions too. Is it realistic to see all this stuff in one day?

Thanks!!!

Haunted hearse

• Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2018, 07:18:34 PM »
I hope they do something like this next year,when I hope to finally get back to LA for a visit after several years.
What ever happened to my Transylvania Twist?

LupusDei

• New Recruit
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2018, 02:05:13 AM »
This maze was the highlight of my first visit to any HHN and I was blown away. Definitely among the least scary of the evening but my absolute favorite. The whole thing feels like a love letter to the classics and it's a blast to walk through.

A little bummed at the deviation in design for Wolf Man, but I was really happy to see some of the spotlight be given to The Phantom and even some focus on Quasimodo and Erik's Red Death outfit in the scare zone immediately outside of the attraction.

The effects they used for the Invisible Man were simple but top notch. I'm heading up with a different group this Thursday and they already know they're committing to hitting this one a couple times during the evening at least, haha!

I was curious to find this thread here, mostly because I was too hesitant to start a new thread for a slightly different (but related) question.

For those of you more familiar with the Hollywood Universal Studios park, I'm trying to plan my trip on Thursday. We pre-bought our tickets so we'll be able to get in two hours before HHN starts... I'm somewhat hoping this won't be too late to possibly catch some of the Universal Monster meet and greet characters that I've seen wandering around the park in pictures by other fans? Anyone know where the best times/locations to look for them are? I've heard the European streets on the upper level of the park be recommended but I figure what better place to check but here?

In the event that I should move this question to another thread, please let me know and I'll happily do so. Thanks!

geezer butler

• Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2018, 07:51:02 PM »
I visited the park last week and had a blast! Here are some pics:

2018-10-16_02-36-49 by geezer2014, on Flickr

2018-10-16_02-36-39 by geezer2014, on Flickr

2018-10-16_02-36-25 by geezer2014, on Flickr

2018-10-16_02-36-15 by geezer2014, on Flickr

2018-10-16_02-36-01 by geezer2014, on Flickr

2018-10-16_02-32-07 by geezer2014, on Flickr