Author Topic: Dawn of the Dead on Bluray  (Read 237 times)

Creepy

• Sergeant
  • The Haunted Cinema-Where Monsters and Movies Meet!
    • The Haunted Cinema
Dawn of the Dead on Bluray
« on: April 16, 2018, 01:36:43 PM »
I have the amazing Criterion Collection Bluray of Night of the Living Dead and recently added the Scream Factory Collector's Edition release of Day of the Dead.

What's the deal with Dawn of the Dead. Many believe this is the masterpiece of the trilogy (i am partial to Night) and it's arguably one of the most influential horror films of all time, yet the only bluray is the OOP Anchor Bay release from 2007?

Is there a rights issue for this? I watched the amazing, restored Black Scorpion this weekend, but  Dawn of the Dead is no where to be found?
Check out my Vintage posters and Masks at The Haunted Cinema

Gory Glenn

• Sergeant
  • They're dead...they're all messed up.
Re: Dawn of the Dead on Bluray
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 03:32:59 PM »
Good question. I have the Anchor Bay OOP Blu-ray (which has fantastic picture quality by the way) but currently there is nothing available for this amazing film in HD. I'd really like to see the Ultimate Edition done on Blu-ray. That really was the complete package for this masterpiece.

Creepy

• Sergeant
    • The Haunted Cinema
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 05:28:22 PM »
There was a 4K restoration done and the film was shown in Italy in 2016 at the Venice Film Festival. You can get a really nice set from Amazon-Italy if you have an All-Region player.

https://www.amazon.it/dp/B01LTHL0JC/?tag=hidefnin0f-21

4 discs with a ton of extras!

Creepy

• Sergeant
    • The Haunted Cinema
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 05:33:05 PM »
Doing some digging, it appears that the films producer, Richard Rubenstein owns the rights and wants a ton of cash. He was working on converting it to 3D (why Lord?) and wanted to reintroduce it to theaters to cash in on the "3D craze".

Gory Glenn

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 06:26:51 PM »
There was a 4K restoration done and the film was shown in Italy in 2016 at the Venice Film Festival. You can get a really nice set from Amazon-Italy if you have an All-Region player.

https://www.amazon.it/dp/B01LTHL0JC/?tag=hidefnin0f-21

4 discs with a ton of extras!

This looks to be the Ultimate Edition (also 4 disc) done on Blu-ray for the European market. Gotta love Dario taking credit for Geroge's film whenever he gets the opportunity. In all fairness the European version is his edit of the film but it cracks me up that he sells it like he made the movie.

Creepy

• Sergeant
    • The Haunted Cinema
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 06:10:24 AM »
Supposedly, Rubenstein spent $6,000,000 on converting the film to 3D right when the craze ended. He won't release the film without getting his investment back, and that ain't gonna happen.

Gory Glenn

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 11:02:57 AM »
Supposedly, Rubenstein spent $6,000,000 on converting the film to 3D right when the craze ended. He won't release the film without getting his investment back, and that ain't gonna happen.

That's a shame. Hopefully it will get back into circulation eventually. It's too important of a movie for the horror genre to just disappear.

You can still pick up used copies of the Ultimate Edition DVD set on eBay for about $50.00. For those that love the movie and don't have this set I highly recommend it.

Rich

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 08:54:11 PM »
I own that ultimate DVD set. Honestly, it is probably the best version of the film you will ever get. I honestly do not need this film on DVD. I own this Ultimate DVD set, and a Blu-ray player with an HDMI cable upconverts the quality of DVDs anyway. Therefore, I would have no need for this on Blu-ray.
Listen to them. Children of the Night. What music they make!