Author Topic: This Island Earth Metaluna Mutant a Universal Monster ?  (Read 4853 times)

Mike Scott

• Army General
  • So terrifying only screams can describe it!
    • Monster Magazines
Re: This Island Earth Metaluna Mutant a Universal Monster ?
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2018, 07:42:35 PM »
OK, wise guy.... Just for that crack, you will be provided with a link to watch it for free.

I have it on DVD. I actually have seen it, a couple of times.  ;D
CREATURE FAN

Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Lunkenstein

• Sergeant
    • Brain of Lunkenstein
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2018, 07:58:05 PM »
I love MONSTER ON THE CAMPUS. Have seen it many times. I have even been accused of being a primitive anthropoid myself, mentally as well as physically.
Paul

YoungestMonsterKid

• Sergeant
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2018, 07:33:46 PM »
This drives me crazy too. Don't get me wrong - I love the biggies - but where is the love for Dynamo Dan 'The Man Made Monster' and The Mole Men! I love the 40s and 50s monsters too.
The Mole Men have at least had some action figures and masks.
I consider them to be in the same league with The Mutant. They're practically brothers in my mind.

As for Dynamo Dan, he was in that Universal Monsters Online, before they pulled the plug on it.

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
  • Haunted Hulk...The Horror Of The Seven Seas
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2018, 08:50:49 PM »
Metaluna Mutant rated a classic Don Post mask, so he deserves to be called a Universal Monster in my book.

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

YoungestMonsterKid

• Sergeant
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2018, 09:37:03 PM »
Metaluna Mutant rated a classic Don Post mask, so he deserves to be called a Universal Monster in my book.

Originally there were only 10 masks, though. Mutant and Gorilla were only added so there could be 12 for the calendar.
And I believe the Mutant was only picked because Universal had the molds for it lying around. But that's basically what helped solidify him as a Universal Monster.

BRICK

• Sergeant
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2018, 05:55:45 PM »
   I do consider the Metaluna Mutant a classic Universal Monster. While he wasnít marketed as much as the other creatures he did appear on several items from the 60-70ís, including a Don Post mask, a drinking glass, a Collegeville costume and as part of the Aladdin UM Lunchbox. Plus, he is just plain cool looking. 

However, Monster on the Campus is another matter, altogether. That is one Universal Horror that I REALLY donít like. It is the film that best illustrates the fall of the Universal Horror cycle. Granted, it has a somewhat interesting premise, but everything about it is sub-par: from the awful make-up to the fake-looking models. Though similar to The Wolf Man, the pathos and sense of wonder have been replaced with an almost sadistic exploitation. This looks like something AIP would have put out at the time, not Universal. I generally consider Universalís bronze age to end with either ďThe Creature Walks Among UsĒ or ďMan of a Thousand FacesĒ. The latter one, in particular, creates a great bookend to Universalís fledgling horrors of the 1920ís. 
When times are dark, donít consider art to be merely a distraction; rather, think of it as a lifeline-  Neil Gaiman paraphrase.

LugosiFan25

• Sergeant
  • You're horrid, you're ghastly, and I love you true
    • The Eternal Drive-In
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2018, 09:33:27 AM »
   However, Monster on the Campus is another matter, altogether. That is one Universal Horror that I REALLY donít like. It is the film that best illustrates the fall of the Universal Horror cycle. Granted, it has a somewhat interesting premise, but everything about it is sub-par: from the awful make-up to the fake-looking models. Though similar to The Wolf Man, the pathos and sense of wonder have been replaced with an almost sadistic exploitation. This looks like something AIP would have put out at the time, not Universal.

One man's trash is another man's treasure!
"....flying saucers? You mean the kind from up there?"

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2018, 11:07:03 AM »
One man's trash is another man's treasure!
Exactly.

I've always liked Monster On The Campus. Uni did some great Sci-Fi flicks in the '50s and for me this is one of them. I grew up a Monster Kid/Dino Kid in the '60s and I have fond memories of seeing Monster On The Campus on Horror Host Bestoink Dooley's show when we lived in Athens Ga. in the early '60s.

I like to read everyone's opinion of various bits of Monsterdom (movies, toys, etc.), and I don't mind stating that something or other isn't my cup-of-tea, but I try not to trash something too hard because there are always a lot of other folks who like it for one reason or another. I don't like those POP figures, for example, but obviously a lot of other people do, so I try to respect that. Still can't stand 'em though.  :laugh:
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

YoungestMonsterKid

• Sergeant
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2018, 10:04:58 AM »
I consider The Mole People to be the end of the cycle, it came a few months after Creature Walks Among Us.

Man of a Thousand Faces is better left ignored, unless you really want to know what's the deal with so much 60's Phantom and Hunchback merchandise.

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2018, 02:00:03 PM »

Here's a pic of mine, reissue that is. :)

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

YoungestMonsterKid

• Sergeant
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2018, 09:30:11 AM »
Here's a pic of mine, reissue that is. :)

The original one's sold in the 60's were not actually the one that appears on the calendar or the ones that were reissued. The originals were actually pretty tiny. Originally the Mutant didn't even have a mask being sold, he was just there to pad out the calendar. But after the calendar came out Don Post made a smaller mask to sell but still used the pictures of the big mask. The 90's reissues were from the reconstructed molds for the big one that's in the calendar, which itself was taken from the original movie mask molds.

Here's a cast to show what the sixties ones that you could buy were like.

Mike Scott

• Army General
  • So terrifying only screams can describe it!
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2018, 09:39:39 AM »
Here's a cast to show what the sixties ones that you could buy were like.

Those are awful!
CREATURE FAN

Visit My Monster Magazines Website

YoungestMonsterKid

• Sergeant
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2018, 08:12:07 PM »
Those are awful!
I'm sure some kids who paid all that money were dissapointed.
But, I wouldn't say it's the worst.

(SUPER Off Topic but: Why does this site think "dissapointed" isn't a word? I've noticed this with a lot of spell checkers.)

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2018, 08:26:50 PM »
Ö  (SUPER Off Topic but: Why does this site think "dissapointed" isn't a word? I've noticed this with a lot of spell checkers.) 

Because it thinks "disappointed" is.
ADAM

YoungestMonsterKid

• Sergeant
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2018, 03:33:33 AM »
Because it thinks "disappointed" is.
disappointed
disappointing
weird