Author Topic: This Island Earth Metaluna Mutant a Universal Monster ?  (Read 5569 times)

monsterbride85

• New Recruit
This Island Earth Metaluna Mutant a Universal Monster ?
« on: January 12, 2018, 02:01:06 AM »
ededed Hi I hope this question has not been asked , but if it has I am sorry . Last year I bought a Universal Monster ( Bride of Frankenstein ) Funko POP, my favorite as you can tell by my avatar. Anyway l looked at the other Universal Monsters on the back and I noticed the Metaluna Mutant as part of the Universal Monsters . In the past there was no mention of this . ( Side note I have not seen the movie , but I am planning on getting the movie and the novel it is based on .)  So I as would you consider the Metaluna Mutant a Universal Monster or not . Also James Rolfe from Cinemassacre did a video on the Universal Monsters .  Also I wonder why there is no Invisible man Funko ? Oh well.  ( I tried to put a picture in but something won't let me.)

Memphremagog

• Sergeant
  • Strange days have found us...
Re: This Island Earth Metaluna Mutant a Universal Monster ?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 07:39:51 AM »
I, for one, consider him to be one, although one that's on the fringes like the Mole People, the Creeper or the Ape Woman. He is still an iconic figure when you look at the various characters that Universal produced from the mid '20's through to 1960.
The difference between martyrdom & suicide is press coverage...

Mike...In 3-D!

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 08:34:40 AM »
I view him like this: If the Universal Monsters are the Ghostbusters, the Metaluna Mutant is Louis Tully. I love him, but he's not in the starting line-up.
"Naughty, naughty! Don't touch, Butch knows best."

Mike Scott

• Army General
  • So terrifying only screams can describe it!
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 11:12:42 AM »
They are all UMs, to me. It's just a matter of popularity. Frankenstein and The Creature are at the top of the heap, Dynamo Dan and The Campus Monster (what would you call him?) are hovering near the bottom.
CREATURE FAN

Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 09:48:09 PM »
Dracula, Frankenstein, etc. are Universal classic '30's & '40's horror monsters.

Creature From the Black Lagoon, Mole People, Metaluna Mutant, Trantula are Universal '50's sci-fi monsters.

Creature is so popular that he is usually listed with the horror group, but his origins don't involve steampunk medicine or curses.

(My opinion.)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 12:16:53 PM by Monsters For Sale »
ADAM

Anton Phibes

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 09:53:31 PM »
Marvel Comics had a lot of eras. Stan Lee and Kirby, Ditko, etc. Then along came other eras leading all the way to Modern. Yet they are all marvel comics characters.

In Universal we have the Lon Chaney intro, the Jack Pierce era, and then the Westmores and other. But all are Universal Monsters much in the same way as all are Marvel or DC. I get the meaning...when I think of DC I think Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman.  But characters late to the party like Cyborg, The Doom patrol, and Swamp Thing are every bit as classic DC characters as the big boys. Just my 2 cents.

marsattacks666

• Sergeant
  • I'm almost.....Human.
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 10:15:48 PM »
The Metaluna Mutant is definitely an interesting character, despite lack of screen-time. Let's consider this, UMA'ers. Boba Fett had very little screen time. Yet, he(Boba Fett) is part of the Star Wars universe, and not a secondary character. ( Mord is going to dislike this comparison)Lol! :o
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

monsterbride85

• New Recruit
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 10:34:36 PM »
Thanks for the reply . Some good answers here.

Mike Scott

• Army General
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 10:38:56 PM »
The Metaluna Mutant is definitely an interesting character, despite lack of screen-time.

About the same amount as The Bride.  :)
CREATURE FAN

YoungestMonsterKid

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 10:47:14 PM »
Yeah, definitely. But he's one of the last.
Some people go farther than that though and count stuff like Jaws and Jurassic Park. I don't really agree with that though. I'm actually a person who'd be willing to count earlier stuff like the 1913 Jekyll and Hyde that everyone forgets exists.

But I dunno. Really it can be whatever you want. "Universal Monsters" is kind of a made up title. It's more just a merchandising thing. Officially, any character that's been merchandised with the brand is a Universal Monster. Really beyond that, it doesn't matter.
Remember characters like Freddy and Jason crossed over and they were originally by separate companies.

Better groups would be The 00-40's characters, the nuclear age characters, the slashers, the kaijus.

YoungestMonsterKid

• Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 10:47:55 PM »
Also, regarding the This Island Earth novel, the books been out of print for a long time. But you can find it easily in digital form.

Mike Scott

• Army General
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 11:39:28 PM »
Also, regarding the This Island Earth novel, the books been out of print for a long time.

Here's a recent(ish) inexpensive softcover reprint. Or, you can get the Kindle.

https://www.amazon.com/This-Island-Earth-Raymond-Jones/dp/1503095363/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1515817992&sr=1-1&keywords=This+Island+Earth
CREATURE FAN

Mord

• Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 12:35:42 AM »
The Metaluna Mutant is definitely an interesting character, despite lack of screen-time. Let's consider this, UMA'ers. Boba Fett had very little screen time. Yet, he(Boba Fett) is part of the Star Wars universe, and not a secondary character. ( Mord is going to dislike this comparison)Lol! :o
Mars, I like you. You have great taste in music and obscure films. I'm gonna pretend I didn't see this post. Btw, The Metaluna Mutant has bigger balls than Boba Fett . I mean, like literally, look at his head. It's a huge, inverted scrotum.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 12:43:26 AM by Mord »

LundyAfterMidnight

• Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 02:45:58 AM »
Second string perhaps, but he's part of the team!
"Well friends, that's all there is to life: just a little laugh, a little tear." - Prof. Echo (Lon Chaney, Sr.)

marsattacks666

• Sergeant
  • I'm almost.....Human.
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 06:23:22 AM »
Mars, I like you. You have great taste in music and obscure films. I'm gonna pretend I didn't see this post. Btw, The Metaluna Mutant has bigger balls than Boba Fett . I mean, like literally, look at his head. It's a huge, inverted scrotum.

Haaaaaa-haaaaaa!  ;D ;D
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."