My Trick or Treat Studios haul

Started by Doh!, January 09, 2018, 07:09:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doh!

I took advantage of Trick or Treat's Black Friday sale and picked up a couple of things...

Let's start with Captain Kirk:

Pretty good Shatner likeness, although I wish the sculpt had some more detail to it. The hair is pretty well done, although I am disappointed that the sideburns aren't true points the way they appeared on the show. It fits pretty well, but I really got it to be a display piece due to my love of the Michael Myers mask it inspired.

Next up, Leatherface:

Love the rawhide strings they attached! Because the mask is cut apart, it should fit even the largest of noggins, mine included. The hair is sewn into place and is pretty generous. I just wish they hadn't sculpted the mouth. If I decide to use it as a Halloween mask, I'll be cutting out the mouth. The "wire" is a separate piece, probably plastic.

How about a Moss Walker next:

This one has flawless sculpt and paint! They even added little pieces of "moss" to the hair -- great touch. The major drawback, however, is the size: too damned small! I can't get my eyes to line up with holes in any way, shape, or form. Disappointing, but I do have other zombie masks I can use when the need arises.

Lastly, Theater Jack from American Werewolf in London (*sigh!*):

Early photos of this showed curly hair, but at last year's Son of Monsterpalooza, I saw somebody wearing one with much better hair. Alas, I must've gotten one from their old stock. Major disappointment. The sculpt and paint are superb, but the hair is amateur hour. Who decided to make it curly?? This is also another one that's way too small to wear (not that I was planning on it, considering the hair). I might have to send this out to get it rehaired so I can make it a proper display piece.

I think I now have enough masks... until they release their 2018 stock.

Kidagain

Hey Doh! . Like I said over at the HMA I hope this sizing thing that seems to happen at TOTS is a fluke that they can correct if buyers contact them about it.I just remembered when I got their Halloween III Skull mask and tried it on it ripped past the very small hole they put at the end of the slit up the back.I repaired the slit but have not tried it on since.Hope this is not the norm now. Congrats on your haul anyway.

the_horror_man

Great haul! In regards to Jack, would it be possible to brush the hair to straighten it then maybe use a hair product on it to hold it?

thm

Doh!

Thanks, fellers!

The hair feels synthetic, horror_man. Do you know of a product that would hold fake hair yet not harm the mask? Thanks...

Gory Glenn

I used regular hair spray on my Forum Wolfman and that works fine but Jack could probably use an actual hair cut to make it look right. Nice haul Doh! The Kirk mask is fine. It could just use a tad of shading to bring out the sculpt. All the TCM masks I've seen look good and yours is no exception. I especially like the Pretty Woman mask. Might have to pick that one up as well as the upcoming Chop Top. That Moss Walker is bad ass! Love the look of that one. Too bad about Jack's hair. I was hoping you'd get a revised copy. They really need to fix that. Overall you've picked up some real beauties here. I think the Moss Walker is my favorite. Congrats!

the_horror_man

Quote from: Doh! on January 10, 2018, 05:33:16 AM
Thanks, fellers!

The hair feels synthetic, horror_man. Do you know of a product that would hold fake hair yet not harm the mask? Thanks...

Quote from: Gory Glenn on January 10, 2018, 05:02:56 PM
I used regular hair spray on my Forum Wolfman and that works fine but Jack could probably use an actual hair cut to make it look right. Nice haul Doh! The Kirk mask is fine. It could just use a tad of shading to bring out the sculpt. All the TCM masks I've seen look good and yours is no exception. I especially like the Pretty Woman mask. Might have to pick that one up as well as the upcoming Chop Top. That Moss Walker is bad ass! Love the look of that one. Too bad about Jack's hair. I was hoping you'd get a revised copy. They really need to fix that. Overall you've picked up some real beauties here. I think the Moss Walker is my favorite. Congrats!

Glenn gave some good advice. Also, maybe you could send the mask to Dr Lady and Laura Lady. They are experts and could probably fix Jack right up.

thm

Doh!

David Lady stopped posting on the The HMA many months ago. Does he ever make an appearance here? I miss that guy and hope that all is well.

the_horror_man

Quote from: Doh! on January 10, 2018, 08:10:52 PM
David Lady stopped posting on the The HMA many months ago. Does he ever make an appearance here? I miss that guy and hope that all is well.

I hope so. I heard HMA is shutting down due to lack of traffic.

thm

Gory Glenn

Quote from: Doh! on January 10, 2018, 08:10:52 PM

David Lady has been dealing with health issues. I miss him too. He still pops in the HMA from time to time so he'd probably answer a message. Maskahuna does hair and he's local to us. If you're really interested you could hit him up on the HMA before they close shop.

Quote from: the_horror_man on January 10, 2018, 08:22:09 PM
I heard HMA is shutting down due to lack of traffic.

thm

Yes, end of January the HMA.NEt will be no more. Bummer.  :'(

the_horror_man

Quote from: Gory Glenn on January 10, 2018, 08:28:06 PM

Yes, end of January the HMA.NEt will be no more. Bummer.  :'(

Well, let's not allow that to happen to the UMA. I wish more people would post and participate here.

thm

Kidagain

I notice when I go onto the "Guest,Users" there are people trying to register to the HMA. Don't know if anything pops up to say the site is not going to be active after January, sad.The UMA has a broader interest in the Horror/ Monster field than the HMA I believe and there seems to be more activity here.BUT,it seems to be only a select few that are posting daily ( which is a damn good thing ). There have been many that have seemed to have gone missing over the years but that has to be expected with changes during one's life. Keep going strong UMA. Now back to the TOTS haul.

Doh!

Thanks for the info, fellers. I'll send Maskahuna a message.

I'll miss The HMA, but this place ain't too shabby!

Howler

"That ain't tactics honey. That's just the beast in me."

marsattacks666

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

marsattacks666

Quote from: the_horror_man on January 10, 2018, 08:22:09 PM
I hope so. I heard HMA is shutting down due to lack of traffic.

thm

That is so sad about David Lady...and HMA
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."