HorroLit_zpsa39e2bb6.jpg~original

Author Topic: FRANKENSTEIN - now 200 years old  (Read 1151 times)

Big Bad Wolf

• Sergeant
  • Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?
FRANKENSTEIN - now 200 years old
« on: January 01, 2018, 10:50:22 PM »
Today -- January 1st, 2018 -- marks the 200th anniversary of the original publication of Frankenstein. As far as I'm concerned, the novel is THE crown jewel of the entire horror genre. Frankenstein is the novel that paved the way for our beloved genre. It was also very influential as a work of science fiction, and as a work of romantic fiction. It had its critics in its day, and it still does. However, it has since earned its rightful place as a classic not just of any genre or genres, but as a classic of literature. Period.

No other story has impacted me personally more than this one. My connection to the Monster is almost spiritual. I see myself in him. I see him in me. I had a dream once that I met him, out in the dark. We sat by a fire. We talked. It felt like stories you hear of people in ancient times who encountered spirit guides and deities.

In short, Frankenstein means a lot to me. What about you guys? Any thoughts on the occasion, or on the work itself?
Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf? The Big Bad Wolf? The Big Bad Wolf! Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf? Lala lala laaa...

Dr.Cyclops

• Sergeant
Re: FRANKENSTEIN - now 200 years old
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 11:54:40 PM »
Happy 200th Birthday!!!
"A Castle without a Crypt is like a Unicorn without a Horn" ~ Professor Abronsius

Mike Scott

• Army General
  • So terrifying only screams can describe it!
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 12:20:13 AM »
Happy Birthday, ya big lug!

I never woulda guessed it was published on the first day of the year.  Makes it easy to remember!  :)

CREATURE FAN

Visit My Monster Magazines Website

LundyAfterMidnight

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 02:08:02 AM »
I enjoy rereading it every few years, especially the part where Wilbur says, "He thinks I'm Dracula!".  But seriously, it's invaluable & I love it.
"Well friends, that's all there is to life: just a little laugh, a little tear." - Prof. Echo (Lon Chaney, Sr.)